Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2017, 08:24 AM

581 posts, read 615,059 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneslip View Post
Actually this is how the larger more dominant co.s put the smaller co.s out of business. The smaller co.s just don't have the scale to handle the compression. Schwab can handle this much better than TD. TD may regret the purchase of Scottrade.
TD I think has the bandwith to be just fine. The new entrants like RobinHood, etc will get squeezed as their free trade model is less and less enticing when the trade commissions at the big houses get lower and you include all the research tools at your disposal with them...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2017, 08:26 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,579,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kickingprop View Post
TD I think has the bandwith to be just fine. The new entrants like RobinHood, etc will get squeezed as their free trade model is less and less enticing when the trade commissions at the big houses get lower and you include all the research tools at your disposal with them...
I agree this isn't going to end TD and really marketshare pickup will be a nonevent. You would need consolidation or one company well outpricing the field

Old 03-02-2017, 08:43 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,445,190 times
Merrill Edge gives me a bunch of free trades every month, more than I would ever even think of using. I asked them why. They said it was so they would gain business and use their their other financial services.

I think its an attempt to grow cash deposits and drive people there with the hope they will eventually seek out advisors or buy your funds

Old 03-02-2017, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Merrill Edge gives me a bunch of free trades every month, more than I would ever even think of using. I asked them why. They said it was so they would gain business and use their their other financial services.

I think its an attempt to grow cash deposits and drive people there with the hope they will eventually seek out advisors or buy your funds
Growing cash deposits is the first goal and it feeds your ability to loan money. That's the main overall goal not really growing wealth management products

Old 03-02-2017, 09:13 AM

Home Depot sells light bulbs at a loss just to get people in the doors.

#lossleader

Old 03-02-2017, 09:16 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,756,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Growing cash deposits is the first goal and it feeds your ability to loan money. That's the main overall goal not really growing wealth management products
Didn't banks used to pay interest for deposits and then loan out and make money?

Old 03-02-2017, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Didn't banks used to pay interest for deposits and then loan out and make money?
They still do but the rate environment is bad right now. If things continue on their current trajectory I think you will see a more normal interest rate environment in 2018.

I noticed I'm seeing fairly decent cash bonuses for transferring money. Citi has a $500/$50k bonus and $300/$15k bonus right now. I was given $1000 last year to transfer my brokerage. Banks are gearing up and there will be a war for our funds.

Old 03-02-2017, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
They still do. Net interest on deposits is a big money maker. What they make on the deposit vs what they pay you. Then you have to have deposits on hand to a certain degree to loan money.

Old 03-02-2017, 10:17 AM

7,646 posts, read 4,596,067 times
Maybe it's early on this front, but remember when you used to get paid a decent rate for your cash holdings? Is anyone paying this again? Comparatively it would make sense to almost give away trades if it attracts the cash deposits and people start drooling for margin again.

Old 03-02-2017, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post
Maybe it's early on this front, but remember when you used to get paid a decent rate for your cash holdings? Is anyone paying this again? Comparatively it would make sense to almost give away trades if it attracts the cash deposits and people start drooling for margin again.
Online banks are paying 1% but brokers aren't that I've seen. If they did it would kill their net interest margins
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing