Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2017, 09:16 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,562,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
it really isn't frothy when you look at interest rates . it isn't just about p/e's . interest rates are a big factor .

back in 1982 a p/e of 12 with double digit interest rates struck fear in the hearts of investors .
There are fewer assets in public hands. The main driver of the market is the largest buyer is immune to considerations of valuations and economic return.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2017, 09:34 AM

92 posts, read 131,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
it really isn't frothy when you look at interest rates . it isn't just about p/e's . interest rates are a big factor .

back in 1982 a p/e of 12 with double digit interest rates struck fear in the hearts of investors .
What if rates rise over the next 2 years?

Although with Yellen leaving I would think Trump hires someone who will give him accommodative monetary policy. Similar to how Yellen did for Obama and Greenspan for Bush.

Old 03-17-2017, 09:38 AM

92 posts, read 131,202 times
And also, market timing is really, really, really hard.

Better off to just index and forget about it for 99.5% of the population.

Old 03-17-2017, 09:46 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,858,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by want to learn View Post
More discussion from my friends at the Senior Center:

A number of my friends were talking at the local Senior Center where I hang out. A few of them said they sold most or all of their stock market investments last week and have gone to cash. (Money market funds inside their accounts).
Money market funds are not FDIC insured. Count me as one who lost a pile of money during the Great Recession when The Reserve Primary Fund (money market fund) "broke the buck" after Lehman Brothers went belly up.

Have your friends read http://www.investopedia.com/articles...d-meltdown.asp

and then have them read http://www.investopedia.com/articles...ney-market.asp

Your friends might want to look at just how safe (or not safe) MM funds actually are.

Quote:
They are convinced the stock and bond market is too high and they want to get out before the crash. Their plan is to be all cash and wait for the correction or bear market to bottom and then reinvest.
All the academic evidence shows that market timing is a losing strategy. No one can reliably time the market. The market price currently reflects all known information about the future.

Quote:
I asked them how they would know when the bottom was and time to go back in. They said they could tell using technical analysis.
All the academic evidence shows you can't do that. Technical analysis doesn't work. It has never worked.

Quote:
The rest of the gang thought that sounded like a great idea and they are now planning to cash out of the stock market for now too. (And get in again at the bottom.)
That's a strategy that doesn't work. No one can forecast like that. That's called "active management" and with minor exception it just doesn't work. More accurately, if it does work it is due to random chance and not repeatable in the long run.

Quote:
I asked them how did they know the stock market was not going to go up for the next couple of years and they said they had been reading all the articles online about how expensive the market was and they agreed. Their plan was similar to someone cashing out of the stock market in mid 2007, going to cash and then going back in in April 2009 when the stock market bottomed.
No one has a crystal ball. Market timing doesn't work.

Old 03-17-2017, 09:52 AM

18,047 posts, read 15,639,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
This thread sounds very frothy.
I dare say many threads on C-D sound frothy; the food & drink ones especially.

But stocks are a different matter.

Old 03-17-2017, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper1372 View Post
I remember my investment advisor telling me a few years ago that if an investor has missed out on the top 10 or 20 days when the market rose the most over past years, you'd have lost out on most of the gains.

I could be a bit off on my number of days, but it was a very small number of days, and made a huge difference in the total return on your stock investments over time.
This is very true.

There was a fascinating paper published quite a while ago showing the difference between:

(a) the reported returns of mutual funds, and
(b) the actual returns investors receive from mutual funds.

There is a sizeable difference, as people tend to go into and out of such funds, and of course they risk not being invested on those top 10 or 20 days. It turns out actual returns received by investors are lower than published returns for precisely that reason.

Old 03-17-2017, 10:03 AM

2,189 posts, read 2,604,433 times
The more you do the less well you do.

Old 03-17-2017, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
Stocks can be risky for the older players. I think I would sit this out unless your playing with mad money. You only need one set back to ruin your retirement....
True for most older people. Not true if you have enough assets & income compared to your lifestyle.

Old 03-17-2017, 10:23 AM

7,132 posts, read 4,764,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
This is very true.

There was a fascinating paper published quite a while ago showing the difference between:

(a) the reported returns of mutual funds, and
(b) the actual returns investors receive from mutual funds.

There is a sizeable difference, as people tend to go into and out of such funds, and of course they risk not being invested on those top 10 or 20 days. It turns out actual returns received by investors are lower than published returns for precisely that reason.
Morningstar tracks investor return, which is the cash-weighted return. In other words, it includes all cash flows into and out of a fund. If investors flee a fund that is falling in price the investment return ends up being less than the simple total return of the fund. If all investors who buy into a fund stay with the fund, the investment return is the same as the total return.

Morningstar tracks investor return for some selected funds. The difference is pretty dramatic at times. It shows up more in a falling market.

Morningstar document on investor returns.

Morningstar Investor Returns for VBMFX (Vanguard Total Bond Fund)

Old 03-17-2017, 10:29 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,750,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
That is called "talking your book". He knows what he says in public can move the market.

Is Warren Buffett Too Afraid To Say The Market's Overvalued? - ValueWalk

His statements on the market have generally been supportive of the market since the 2008 crisis as many of his biggest holdings received government bailouts. The estimate was 150 billion dollars were provided to his firms through TARP.
You missed the part that he invested $12 billion recently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing