Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2017, 08:52 PM

7,567 posts, read 8,602,374 times

Advertisements

I use limit orders to prevent possible erratic market price.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2017, 06:56 AM

99 posts, read 67,948 times
Sure if it's a stop-limit, that is, the amount it falls before you sell as to minimize your loss.

Learn to read the stock chart, the oscillators and indicators. If you practice most of time you can predict where it's going to go but not 100%. All this needs to get taught as a basic skill such as changing the tires and oil, building a computer, typing, self-defense, and other things you need to know. Unfortunately, most of what you learn in school just useless.

Old 05-02-2017, 08:17 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,476,823 times
why not do it the "slightly" more complicated way?

Buy it at the current price, and sell an option at $90 strike. If it hits below $90, you end up keeping the shares since no one buys them from you, and you end up buying them for $90/share. If it stays above $90/share, you go ahead and let someone buy them and collect the "interest" payment on it

nothing is really "lost", I know people who argue that if the share price drops, you lose out, but how? If you were going to buy it anyways, whether the price drops or not, it would have affected your portfolio in the same way

main thing is losing out on the upside, what if it went to $120 and not fall to $90? But if OP feels like it is over priced at $100, he wouldn't buy it anyhow at $120 so... he doesn't "lose" something he never bought in the first place

Old 05-02-2017, 09:19 AM

6,593 posts, read 7,252,409 times
I think using limit orders is a good idea. But you have to understand the risks.
If you are selling you could have your sale make at a much lower price.
If you are buying you might miss the purchase by a few pennies.
If you need to make the trade then a market order might be the way to go.

Old 05-02-2017, 11:27 AM

24,328 posts, read 26,731,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred44 View Post
Say something you are interested in is going for $100/share. But you don't feel it's worth more than $90, so you place a limit order to buy for $90, good until cancelled.

What's the consensus, pros/cons, on using limit orders in this fashion? Thanks.
Nothin wrong with it

Old 05-02-2017, 05:48 PM

1,870 posts, read 1,889,811 times
I've gotten fills at 10% or more discounts to a previous close only to have the price pop right back up.

Sometimes I keep the shares and sometimes I take the quick profit.

This pretty-much will never happen for richly-traded issues like AAPL, SPY, GLD, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Maybe the market will drive the price down but it is .50 cents higher than your limit and you will miss getting it before it reverses
Maybe I make 10% quick.

Maybe I catch another bus.

Worrying about trades missed is stupid. There is always another bus.

Old 05-02-2017, 06:28 PM

26,152 posts, read 21,387,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe Howard View Post
Sure if it's a stop-limit, that is, the amount it falls before you sell as to minimize your loss.

Learn to read the stock chart, the oscillators and indicators. If you practice most of time you can predict where it's going to go but not 100%. All this needs to get taught as a basic skill such as changing the tires and oil, building a computer, typing, self-defense, and other things you need to know. Unfortunately, most of what you learn in school just useless.
You also need to know the difference between a sell stop and a sell stop-limit

Old 05-02-2017, 10:02 PM

2,617 posts, read 2,304,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post

Buy it at the current price, and sell an option at $90 strike. If it hits below $90, you end up keeping the shares since no one buys them from you, and you end up buying them for $90/share. If it stays above $90/share, you go ahead and let someone buy them and collect the "interest" payment on it

nothing is really "lost", I know people who argue that if the share price drops, you lose out, but how? If you were going to buy it anyways, whether the price drops or not, it would have affected your portfolio in the same way

main thing is losing out on the upside, what if it went to $120 and not fall to $90? But if OP feels like it is over priced at $100, he wouldn't buy it anyhow at $120 so... he doesn't "lose" something he never bought in the first place
As someone who isn't well versed in options trading, can you expand on this theory and scenario?

I don't quite follow what you're executing as far as trades go?

Old 05-02-2017, 11:44 PM

26,152 posts, read 21,387,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post

What you have described is selling covered calls. It might be helpful to others to label what you are describing

Old 05-06-2017, 08:52 AM

3,910 posts, read 9,429,004 times
The OP does not seem well versed with options, so he should probably avoid that strategy. When buying and selling stock, I always use limit orders good for the day. Using market orders is very risky. You can get screwed badly.

I bought a stock once that was trading at $8 per share, then it rose to $10, and I sold. On paper, I had a 20% return, but I used a market sell order. It wound up filling for $9 barely and wiped out half of my return. When factoring in brokerage fees and commissions, my total ROI was maybe 7-8%. Had I used a limit order, I could have sold for $9.95 and kept most of my return.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing