Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2017, 11:50 AM

3,137 posts, read 2,692,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
Vanguard is having growing pains in the form of customer service due to its explosive growth. Fidelity and Charles Schwab though are also low cost and highly rated. Vanguard now offers personal advisory services for a 0.3% fee. Fidelity and Schwab look to be more money (Fidelity 0.6-1.7%) Schwab (0.7-0.9%).
Vanguard's customer service issues were very obvious. I would call, get put on hold, then get passed around to different people, none of whom could answer my question. I know Vanguard is very popular right now and they are promoted on lots of investing websites. But I felt insecure with my money in their hands.

I wonder if there is way to privately pay someone for investment advice, just on a per hour basis, to sit down and talk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2017, 12:09 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,366,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tassity22 View Post
Vanguard's customer service issues were very obvious. I would call, get put on hold, then get passed around to different people, none of whom could answer my question. I know Vanguard is very popular right now and they are promoted on lots of investing websites. But I felt insecure with my money in their hands.

I wonder if there is way to privately pay someone for investment advice, just on a per hour basis, to sit down and talk.
There are plenty of fee based advisers that could work with you. Unless you are an active investor making frequent trades you just need someone to design a portfolio consistent with your goals, tax situation, and risk tolerance. That is probably a lot cheaper than paying >1% per year or going to a salesmen that will sell you funds based on his commissions. You are probably talking about $200-300 for a session. If you don't like Vanguard I'd pick Schwab or Fidelity.

Old 05-10-2017, 12:18 PM

10,336 posts, read 7,916,036 times
Quote:
You can absolutely do that. The hard part is finding a GOOD financial advisor to work with. The overwhelming majority are commissioned salespeople masquerading as advisors.

This site is geared toward physicians, but you may find these posts useful anyway:

Financial Advisors: https://whitecoatinvestor.com/financial-advisors/

Finding a Good Financial Advisor: https://whitecoatinvestor.com/findin...ncial-advisor/

Edited to add: Check this article from The Finance Buff out, too: https://thefinancebuff.com/the-avera...-find-one.html

Given your desire for some hand-holding, though, I'd recommend taking a good, long look at Fidelity and Charles Schwab. If either of those firms have physical branches in your town, there's your answer.

Old 05-10-2017, 12:28 PM

10,336 posts, read 7,916,036 times
Also, remember, you can "sit down and talk" here. The advice may be confusing, but at least you know none of us are making any money off of you when we give it!

Old 05-10-2017, 03:46 PM

581 posts, read 612,069 times
You might be a good candidate for one of the Robo-advisors like Betterment, Wealthfront, or Personal Capital. You pay a far smaller admin fee than the crooks at EJ will charge you, and they select a mix of low cost index funds based on your age/risk profile. You might not make ridiculously large gains, but you'll mostly track the market, and the fees won't eat your lunch and kick your dog the way EJ will...

Old 05-10-2017, 05:07 PM

3,137 posts, read 2,692,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
You can absolutely do that. The hard part is finding a GOOD financial advisor to work with. The overwhelming majority are commissioned salespeople masquerading as advisors.

That's what I'm finding out also with "investment seminars" that come into my area. They often have ulterior motives.

Old 05-10-2017, 05:33 PM

919 posts, read 844,735 times
Quote:
True.

I might consider moving my IRA back to Vanguard next year. In the meantime, should I just tell the EJ Advisor not to put me into loaded mutual funds, and see if he can put me in S&P 500 Index, like I had with Vanguard. I'm wary of loaded mutual funds, it seems they benefit the companies more than the individual investor.
Does EJ even offer no-load mutual funds? I think they do but they likely don't make commission on them, so they don't advertise them.
Is it really hard to get your money out of EJ's grubby little hands?
If it is not, you may want to switch to Schwab or Fidelity as someone suggested upthread.
Both have physical offices. You can drop in just to open the account and chat with them.
Schwab has robo-advisors, IIRC .32%/year, comparable to Vanguard's robo-advisors.
Or you can decide your own risk/rewards tolerance and allocate, for example, 30% to bonds and 70% to stocks. Buy broad ETFs with low expense ratios, like SCHZ/SCHB/SCHF from Schwab or AGG/ITOT/IDEV from Fidelity (these and 67 other iShares ETFs are commission free at Fidelity); or the equivalent mutual funds. Avoid narrow sector-based or industry-based ETFs.

The good thing is that there is NO wrong answer. A lot of your performance will depend on markets and allocation, not your own stock-picking skills or reading tea-leaves about market direction or which sector will perform the best. Once you decide on allocation, be a fatalist and accept whatever results you get. (I am joking about being a fatalist, but only a little.)

Old 05-10-2017, 05:35 PM

919 posts, read 844,735 times
FWIW, I think you've got better free advice on this forum than you'd get from a commission-based "advisor"!

Old 05-10-2017, 11:07 PM

26,176 posts, read 21,441,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfa-ish View Post
Is it really hard to get your money out of EJ's grubby little hands?
If it is not, you may want to switch to Schwab or Fidelity as someone suggested upthread.
Both have physical offices. You can drop in just to open the account and chat with them.
Schwab has robo-advisors, IIRC .32%/year, comparable to Vanguard's robo-advisors.
Or you can decide your own risk/rewards tolerance and allocate, for example, 30% to bonds and 70% to stocks. Buy broad ETFs with low expense ratios, like SCHZ/SCHB/SCHF from Schwab or AGG/ITOT/IDEV from Fidelity (these and 67 other iShares ETFs are commission free at Fidelity); or the equivalent mutual funds. Avoid narrow sector-based or industry-based ETFs.

The good thing is that there is NO wrong answer. A lot of your performance will depend on markets and allocation, not your own stock-picking skills or reading tea-leaves about market direction or which sector will perform the best. Once you decide on allocation, be a fatalist and accept whatever results you get. (I am joking about being a fatalist, but only a little.)

There actually are wrong answers in this business and having an advisor may or may not prevent you from making those wrong turns. The Schwab funds for instance are terribly tax inefficient iirc so expense ratio isn't the only thing that matters. Also going it alone might seem cheaper on the surface but what you don't know, you don't know and it can cost you more than you could imagine

Old 05-10-2017, 11:47 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,538,935 times
Apparently I have invested differently than most here on CD. I buy individual stocks, usually in 100 share lots, but sometimes 50 shares. I have done well by sticking with large cap stocks for over 20 years (Microsoft, Apple, United Healthcare, MacDonalds, Walmart, Cisco, etc ) and made money on all of them.

If the PE ratio gets too high, for me usually above 30, I sell. I never sell short though, for tax reasons. As opposed to others, I like dividend stocks. I take the dividends into my cash account and usually let them collect in there until I am ready to buy something. No tax on dividends. I usually only hold 10-12 different stocks at once; that's enough to keep an eye on.

Occasionally I have held individual corporate bonds, but I never buy bond funds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing