Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2017, 06:25 AM

106,671 posts, read 108,833,673 times

Advertisements

i always work it in and mention it and show the calculation on a balanced fund all the time . assuming best outcomes on the balanced fund it would take 1 person in a couple to live to 90 to tie it . less if markets are not so good .

ss roi would be an after inflation return of 5% which is guaranteed , balanced fund hit and miss .

Last edited by mathjak107; 05-23-2017 at 06:46 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2017, 11:24 AM

6,753 posts, read 5,056,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old retired folks View Post
No one, other than Mathjak, is talking about the huge amount of money being lost in investment return due to annual withdrawals of money due to no Social Security. Why?

FYI: We (the old retired folks) took the advice of our financial planner and burned through most of our money so we could pay our bills while retired from age 60 on while not collecting Social Security until we were 70 years old.
As I responded to the original poster, these planners do not have some crystal ball that tells them the future. In my opinion, they tend to give advice that will not get clients in trouble and will give some solace during really bad markets. You were given conservative advice. Are you not able to pay your bills today? If the planner had given you aggressive advice and it backfired, I'm guessing you would probably be in a much worse spot.

If we want to bet on the nominal or typical outcome, we should maximize low-cost debt like mortgages, and always have all of our assets invested in the equity markets. Statistically speaking that will give the best outcome. Most people do not follow that route because there is some chance that it will backfire.

Old 05-23-2017, 12:29 PM

13,072 posts, read 7,511,991 times
I never give advice to anyone for whatever reasons.
Of course, always remember YMMV

Old 05-24-2017, 08:08 AM

13,072 posts, read 7,511,991 times
bookmarked
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing