Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2017, 08:40 AM

1,912 posts, read 3,225,091 times

Advertisements

Their online presence IMO is better than overpriced Amazon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2017, 03:51 PM

654 posts, read 424,047 times
I think eventually you would get a 100% return, especially if you're reinvesting all the dividends. The important part, how long will it take to get there, not anytime soon would be my guess.

I love Amazon and have been a prime member for years, but I do find Walmarts online prices to be much better. I haven't given Walmarts 2 day shipping a try yet, but have used the in store pick up and regular shipping many times.

The big advantage with Amazon is their selection, I cross shop Walmart.com and Walmart themselves do not carry a lot of things, sure you can order on walmart.com but it will a 3rd party seller, unlike Amazon where you can have it in a day or two through prime since Amazon themselves stock it.

Just looked at my recent Amazon purchases, Walmart did not have any of these things directly.

Aprilaire 213 Replacement Filter
Nature's Variety Instinct Grain free dog food
ABN ½ Inch Drive Torque Angle Gauge Meter Tool
New Balance Men's M775V3 Running Shoe

Old 05-19-2017, 04:00 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,834,115 times
Walmart is scrambling to combat Amazon's online incursion into a wide range of products - with traditionally low pricing and free, fast shipping.

I've watched family members try-out Walmart's online purchasing with mixed reviews. It's amazing that they can hold the price line AND ship via FedEx free, but, the question remains: "Why order online when one drives by a Walmart every time they go out?"

Walmart is big and smart enough to come-up with winning solutions and keep growing their business ... but, will their stock double in the foreseeable future? - I can't think of many good reasons why that should suddenly happen.

Old 05-19-2017, 08:51 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,587,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Walmart is scrambling to combat Amazon's online incursion into a wide range of products - with traditionally low pricing and free, fast shipping.

I've watched family members try-out Walmart's online purchasing with mixed reviews. It's amazing that they can hold the price line AND ship via FedEx free, but, the question remains: "Why order online when one drives by a Walmart every time they go out?"

Walmart is big and smart enough to come-up with winning solutions and keep growing their business ... but, will their stock double in the foreseeable future? - I can't think of many good reasons why that should suddenly happen.

Does anyone actually want to go in a Walmart? I know I don't and I avoid going to most retailers if I don't have to. REI being an exception I go just to tinker with things

Old 05-19-2017, 09:24 PM

289 posts, read 220,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Does anyone actually want to go in a Walmart? I know I don't and I avoid going to most retailers if I don't have to. REI being an exception I go just to tinker with things
Funny you made that comment. I had to run into one yesterday evening. Now I don't live in a bad part of town whatsoever, but you'd think you were transplanted to the projects as soon as you got out of your car there. It was bad, real bad.

Old 05-19-2017, 10:55 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,199,652 times
I live in Florida. Walmart's everywhere. I have gone in the store a few times and always swear. 'never again.'
However, I do own their stock. Have held on to it through its ups and downs.
Why would I own the stock? Because the few times I've gone it its packed. Every register had long lines. Huge store, carries everything from lettuce to wheel barrows.
I don't like stores like that. I don't like Home Depot, Cosco. Just my thing, I don't like shopping in a warehouse which is how it feels.
I held the stock because my store is busy. They pay a decent dividend. They recently made some acquisitions. They are going to take on Amazon and they might have a shot at it.
So, I held the stock. I'm actually up 10%.

Old 05-20-2017, 06:54 AM

5,342 posts, read 6,167,667 times
I like their Neighborhood Markets. The one by me is nicer than Aldi's but competes on all Aldi's prices for milk, eggs, produce, and meat. I don't mind shopping in the NHMs at all. The supercenters can be a bit hectic, but they have great prices on pellets for pellet grills. I can go to Academy or Home Depot too, but I pay almost double the price, same for Amazon.

Old 05-20-2017, 07:11 AM

1,767 posts, read 1,742,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
If your a male than your response makes sense....females are the main drivers in foot traffic retailers.

Old 05-20-2017, 07:15 AM

1,767 posts, read 1,742,996 times
I think WMT share price will struggle- the margins are compressed, more competition on pricing from other retailers & lack of growth.

Old 05-20-2017, 08:33 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,587,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneslip View Post
If your a male than your response makes sense....females are the main drivers in foot traffic retailers.
I am male but my wife avoids stores too mostly thanks to Amazon and other retailers offering "free"'shipping

I do get your point on overall foot traffic though
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing