Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2017, 10:05 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,758,356 times

Advertisements

You got a discount today, I've read it dropped $500 today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2017, 08:13 AM

15,945 posts, read 12,285,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewdog_5 View Post
At what point will Big Banks want it regulated?

What happens when someone steps in to regulate all this?

That's my worry.
That will only benefit investors, since right now there's a lot of uncertainty when it comes to using the exchanges. I would love it if coinbase became a bank.

Government is really slow to adapt to any sort of change... it will take them 10 years just to get their head out of their ass. They should have stopped minting cents 20 years ago but I'm still throwing them on the ground. In the meantime, bitcoin is actually quite useful for rich people, so I don't expect it will be regulated any time soon. They can't shut it down... all they can do is simply shut down the exchanges and make it so people can't exchange it for fiat.. then you just drive it into the black market.

How is it useful? Because of these civil asset forfeiture laws, it's a great place to store assets. If they don't have your private key, they don't have your money. Regardless of the circumstances, it's wrong to seize people's assets without charging them with a crime. How is that even constitutional? It also acts as a sort of one world, global currency, that can be used in other countries. That is a novel use of the currency because we DO need a one world currency. The downside is that bitcoin is a power hogging dinosaur with high fees and slow confirmation times. A new blockchain tech (NEM, Mijin, Catapult) needs to take it's place. Unfortunately the piggies have chosen the inferior technology Ethereum right now.

Last edited by sholomar; 05-31-2017 at 08:23 AM..

Old 05-31-2017, 12:45 PM

4,003 posts, read 6,099,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
Seems to have exploded already. The value of bitcoin has doubled in the last two months. Seems like a bubble to me, wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole.
You give absolutely 0 basis for stating why this is a bubble nor do I think you even know why the price is up? Bitcoin was a bit overvalued, it's settled back down and found a solid foundation around $2200 or $2300. I wish people who didn't have a clue about cryptocurrencies would stay out of the debates about them. This logic your giving is like saying don't invest in stocks the market is at 21,000. Just because the market is at 21,000 has 0 bearing on whether it can go to 30,000. Back when the dow was at 8,000 people said it couldn't go any higher.

Old 05-31-2017, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
I would not invest here. Wait for the dust to settle. You could make money but the easy money has been made. I had a stake of nem and have sold about 1.3 million coins for a profit of around $250,000. I still think NEM could overtake bitcoin and be the future of the blockchain, however the market cap has gone from 50 million to 1.8 billion in a few months. Clearly a bubble. I'm selling as fast as GDAX let's me withdraw as I take advantage of good prices. If any coin in the top 10 will outperform it will be NEM though. Maybe I'll keep holding 750k coins because I believe in the coin. 4 years salary in a matter of a month. Needless to say I'm pleased. Going to invest it in stocks and altcoins as I find them if I like the tech.

I also own Ark and Xtrabytes. I might get in on the WAGERR ICO as well.

Fidelity and coinbase are teaming up to show bitcoin value in fidelity account. That will be nice.
If you're looking to dump contact me I'd buy or would trade ETH or BTC and we can cut out some exchange fees. I'm into NEM at like 0.04, 0.09, 0.14 and still getting in even at the 0.20 price range, then again I don't have anywhere near as many as you lol.

Good call on getting in on the NEM early. Any other speculative ones you think would be worth throwing some money at?

Old 05-31-2017, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewdog_5 View Post
At what point will Big Banks want it regulated?

What happens when someone steps in to regulate all this?

That's my worry.
Most can't really be regulated. The only thing they could do is stop banks from allowing you to transfer to fiat which would probably knock a lot of people out of the game, however even then you could sell coins locally through Craigslist or Localbitcoins.

Old 05-31-2017, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
That will only benefit investors, since right now there's a lot of uncertainty when it comes to using the exchanges. I would love it if coinbase became a bank.

Government is really slow to adapt to any sort of change... it will take them 10 years just to get their head out of their ass. They should have stopped minting cents 20 years ago but I'm still throwing them on the ground. In the meantime, bitcoin is actually quite useful for rich people, so I don't expect it will be regulated any time soon. They can't shut it down... all they can do is simply shut down the exchanges and make it so people can't exchange it for fiat.. then you just drive it into the black market.

How is it useful? Because of these civil asset forfeiture laws, it's a great place to store assets. If they don't have your private key, they don't have your money. Regardless of the circumstances, it's wrong to seize people's assets without charging them with a crime. How is that even constitutional? It also acts as a sort of one world, global currency, that can be used in other countries. That is a novel use of the currency because we DO need a one world currency. The downside is that bitcoin is a power hogging dinosaur with high fees and slow confirmation times. A new blockchain tech (NEM, Mijin, Catapult) needs to take it's place. Unfortunately the piggies have chosen the inferior technology Ethereum right now.
Hey buddy, you seem pretty knowledgeabout about cryptos, had a quick question if you don't mind. I've been in BTC for years but shied away from some alt coins after getting burned by Cryptorush and other exchanges years back. Now getting interested in some alternatives. I keep hearing about ICO I guess initial coin offering, I think the most recent was BAT. It seems a few big fish got all the coins. What's your thoughts on this? Is it a big scam if only 190 people can control the entire thing? Also are you aware of any ICO's happening in the near future that are worth investigating?

Old 05-31-2017, 04:49 PM

402 posts, read 752,164 times
I bought 5 ethereum at 19 and now they are 225 a piece.

Old 05-31-2017, 04:50 PM

402 posts, read 752,164 times
Im looking into singularDtv next.

Old 06-01-2017, 09:14 AM

317 posts, read 239,155 times
where are you guys buying these currency,
i would like to buy .

Old 06-01-2017, 09:18 AM

18,079 posts, read 15,664,302 times
Too costly and volatile for my blood, aside from the fact I don't understand it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing