Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2017, 07:40 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,033,924 times

Advertisements

Howdy. I want to start buying/saving silver, i.e., old silver coins and such. I look in my change for old coins, but how do I go about finding a reputable dealer to buy them from? do you have any websites I should refer to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2017, 07:46 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,677,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYChistorygal View Post
Howdy. I want to start buying/saving silver, i.e., old silver coins and such. I look in my change for old coins, but how do I go about finding a reputable dealer to buy them from? do you have any websites I should refer to?
I'm not the one to give advice, but a few years ago when silver prices were high, I sold some sterling for melt value on ebay. So probably one good place to buy it is ebay. It was a cousin who referred me to the websites that gave the value from day to day. He was selling silver on ebay back then.

Old 05-29-2017, 08:09 PM

1,766 posts, read 1,223,464 times
Quote:
.......how do I go about finding a reputable dealer to buy them from? do you have any websites I should refer to?
APMEX
Gold and Silver Prices, Precious Metals, Silver Coins for Sale | APMEX

Old 05-30-2017, 08:54 AM

5,300 posts, read 6,179,553 times
I wouldn't look to the numismatic value when investing in precious metals. Coin dealers want you to believe that old coins have a much greater value than their bullion content and they jack up the prices accordingly. In the currency crisis to come, gold will be more readily tradable than silver.

Old 05-30-2017, 09:11 AM

2,805 posts, read 3,254,148 times
I prefer silver over gold, unless the gold is in small quantities such as wedding bands or other solid smaller objects. The more the value, the more there are fakes and nowadays that even includes silver dollars, so IMHO buy quarters and dimes for investment.

As to buying, first be sure to go online and learn values, then you might wish to look around in smaller pawn shops for possible deals.

Old 05-30-2017, 09:42 AM

6,626 posts, read 7,342,677 times
Quote:
Why do you want to buy? Investment or the fund of collecting.

Old 05-30-2017, 09:43 PM

1,892 posts, read 2,533,143 times
I'm also curious as to why you want to buy. Precious metals are generally a terrible long term investment when compared to other investments.

Old 05-31-2017, 08:01 AM

15,945 posts, read 12,285,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannabeCPA View Post
I'm also curious as to why you want to buy. Precious metals are generally a terrible long term investment when compared to other investments.
I bought a bunch of silver at $5/oz back when I was 20 years old and it's outperformed the broad stock market over that time period. There are no bad investments if you time it right to get in when they are cheap. Gold was trading at $275/oz back in 2001. I'm pretty sure it's outperformed the broad stock market. What are you buying that you are getting these kind of returns? Apple stock?

Aside from silver, I would recommend Palladium and Rhodium right here as well.

If you're going to get silver, 90% coins are the cheapest, easiest way to invest. Don't bother sifting through change trying to find any.

Old 05-31-2017, 09:39 PM

1,870 posts, read 1,901,488 times
Quote:
You can find a dealer locally just about anywhere.

Whatever you are planning to spend, just spend 1/10th or 1/20th of it at the first go. Blowing your whole wad at the first go is just bad investing technique.

The only web site you need right now is U.S. Silver Coin Melt Value Calculator - Coinflation

Check what you should pay for, say, a roll of silver quarters, maybe $125. Then go in and buy a roll. If you get it for $135, then the dealer charged you about 8%. Check on-line prices and see if this is close. It doesn't matter if it's $132 or $138. This is to get your feet wet - so to speak.

Now you are a silver investor. Some dealers will let you pick them out of a box. I've gotten a seated liberty half for the price of the silver before.

People freak-out over paying 5% over spot vs 3%. For the metals, it doesn't much matter. You are looking to make 20-30%, so if you paid an extra 2% it doesn't matter. Once you have experience, then you can worry about fractionals.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
I wouldn't look to the numismatic value when investing in precious metals. Coin dealers want you to believe that old coins have a much greater value than their bullion content and they jack up the prices accordingly. In the currency crisis to come, gold will be more readily tradable than silver.
That blanket statement is false. With simple calculations, you can tell if the dealer is jacking up the price.

Not that I subscribe to the "currency crisis" thing, but the idea behind buying silver is that you can buy everyday items with it. A small coin 1/3rd the size of a dime has a value of something like $50.

Silver trades with gold, always has, probably always will.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Lee View Post
As to buying, first be sure to go online and learn values, then you might wish to look around in smaller pawn shops for possible deals.
Unless a person is already an expert then going to pawn shops is an invitation to get ripped-off.

Stick with coin dealers or gold dealers. They don't do anything but the metal. ( There are dealers who ONLY sell the metal and coins are incidental. They don't do rare coins. )
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannabeCPA View Post
Who cares? The question was not should I buy, but I want to buy. There is a difference.

You also don't know if now is a good time to buy or not. Unless you were on here recommending silver and gold in 2001, then your prediction means nothing. Buying at that time was excellent timing. Either the recommendation to buy comes from a perma-bull like one of the posters in this thread or a perma-bear who never, gets it right when it goes up. Metals can be traded, and as long as the person isn't betting the farm, leave them alone. A few hundred or thousand won't matter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
... [ ... deletia ... ] ....
The force is strong with this one. You can follow his advice, but save the palladium and rhodium for later.

If you have the time, you might be able to gather 40 ( 1 roll ) unique dates and start filling a book. You don't know anything about buying silver, so a slow start like this will do you good.

If you want to do some on-line buying I can recommend some dealers in a DM,

Old 05-31-2017, 11:02 PM

1,892 posts, read 2,533,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
I bought a bunch of silver at $5/oz back when I was 20 years old and it's outperformed the broad stock market over that time period. There are no bad investments if you time it right to get in when they are cheap. Gold was trading at $275/oz back in 2001. I'm pretty sure it's outperformed the broad stock market. What are you buying that you are getting these kind of returns? Apple stock?

Aside from silver, I would recommend Palladium and Rhodium right here as well.

If you're going to get silver, 90% coins are the cheapest, easiest way to invest. Don't bother sifting through change trying to find any.
Of course there are no (or very few) bad investments if you time the market right. But timing the market shouldn't be an investment strategy for obvious reasons. I'm talking long term investments here. I can certainly believe you about what you stated about gold outperforming the stock market during your cherry picked time period but overall gold is an absolutely terrible long term investment. I doubt there's very many, if any, other 16 year time periods where gold outperformed stocks. In fact I'd bet the vast majority of 16 year time periods will show stocks exponentially outperformed gold. I'm just saying overall gold is an absolutely terrible long term (10 year +) investment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing