Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2017, 08:53 AM

807 posts, read 1,031,957 times

Advertisements

My father passed away about a year ago. Since then I took over managing this portfolio for my mom. They have an IRA, which holds most of their money, and a checking account.

There are two funds in his non-IRA account. Both have been doing terrible and I was thinking of selling them. But they are muni funds, which from my understanding are good for tax purposes. I think he put them into the checking account as a source of income. But they have both been losing money since I've been watching them over the past year.

Here are the funds with a brief synopsis:

HYD-VanEck Vectors High-Yield Municipal Index ETF. Dividends 4.34%
NXJ-Nuveen New Jersey Quality Municipal Income Fund: Dividends 5.06%

Can anyone tell me why I should keep these funds?

Thanks.

PS. There isn't that much money in each account, only about $10,000. So the dividends aren't much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2017, 11:16 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,233,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred44 View Post
My father passed away about a year ago. Since then I took over managing this portfolio for my mom. They have an IRA, which holds most of their money, and a checking account.

There are two funds in his non-IRA account. Both have been doing terrible and I was thinking of selling them. But they are muni funds, which from my understanding are good for tax purposes. I think he put them into the checking account as a source of income. But they have both been losing money since I've been watching them over the past year.

Thanks.

PS. There isn't that much money in each account, only about $10,000. So the dividends aren't much.
I am familiar with NXJ and used to own it. I have other Nuveen state funds at present.
NXJ certainly pays a decent dividend and as you say it's tax exempt.....however the state of NJ is not in very good financial shape. Have you looked on the Nuveen website to see what this fund is holding? I'd check that out, and then I'd think about rotating into a better run state like Arizona (NAZ) or Virginia (NPV)

Can't help you out on HYD, never heard of it.

Old 07-12-2017, 11:39 AM

13,052 posts, read 7,482,173 times
Quote:

Thanks.

They were for Income dividends not for investing in the Market. You Mom will continue to collect the Income regardless of the market price of the fund. The market price of bond funds will trend downwards as interest rates go up.

You do what you deem best for Mom. If the Market goes down and Mom holds equity, be prepared to face Mom and tell her that she has to take less Income. If you think you can get better safety and income from other funds then this is a consideration.

Old 07-12-2017, 02:59 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,880,944 times
Quote:
There isn't that much money in each account, only about $10,000.

Nope... there really isn't any reason to.

Old 07-12-2017, 03:57 PM

919 posts, read 847,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
I am familiar with NXJ and used to own it. I have other Nuveen state funds at present.
NXJ certainly pays a decent dividend and as you say it's tax exempt.....however the state of NJ is not in very good financial shape. Have you looked on the Nuveen website to see what this fund is holding? I'd check that out, and then I'd think about rotating into a better run state like Arizona (NAZ) or Virginia (NPV)

Can't help you out on HYD, never heard of it.
Doesn't the state tax-exempt status depend on your state of residence? Federal tax will exempt anyway.
Municipal Bonds: When 'Tax-Free' Isn't So Free

Not a big issue for the OP with <$1,000 yearly income from both funds, but in general.

Old 07-12-2017, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfa-ish View Post
Doesn't the state tax-exempt status depend on your state of residence? Federal tax will exempt anyway.
Municipal Bonds: When 'Tax-Free' Isn't So Free

Not a big issue for the OP with <$1,000 yearly income from both funds, but in general.
I think that is why he used a NJ muni fund, since he lived in NJ. And yes, I agree, it's not much money so I don't see the point.

Old 07-12-2017, 11:12 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,879,826 times
Purely from spending a few minutes looking around on morningstar (so caveat that's source of everything and I've just skimmed each, double check everything for yourself):

Mixed feelings about NXJ. There's some strong arguments both for and against it. Tax advantaged (especially in NJ) + it's a closed end fund trading at a ~12% discount to NAV. Coupon is about 5%, underlying asset price is 107% of par, and with the discount to NAV you're effectively getting the portfolio for under par and over 5% yield, turns to the 5% flat distribution rate after fees. For tax advantaged debt. That's nice. Really nice. No Puerto Rico debt tucked into the portfolio which would be really bad and would be a concern at that yield level. So that's nice too. Long duration is neither here nor there.....wouldn't want that myself but fine for generating retirement income. Uses leverage in a bond fund which is kind of ugly. You buy bonds to de-risk, and being leveraged up works directly against that. If there is a duration mismatch between the leverage and the underlying bonds (which I dunno, not going to do that level of research, you can/should) that adds even more interest rate risk (both upside and downside) than already exists in a long duration bond portfolio, which is not so nice from a risk perspective. Of course, that's how you get that 5% yield (really 4.5% with a discount to NAV).

HYD is a lot simpler. It looks like pretty much a well diversified municipal junk bond fund. I wouldn't mind holding a bit of it in a portfolio which was mostly stocks and other types of bonds for diversification but IMO it shouldn't be a large percentage of someone's holdings, so depends on the size and composition of that IRA.

Old 07-13-2017, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALackOfCreativity View Post
Purely from spending a few minutes looking around on morningstar (so caveat that's source of everything and I've just skimmed each, double check everything for yourself):

Mixed feelings about NXJ. There's some strong arguments both for and against it. Tax advantaged (especially in NJ) + it's a closed end fund trading at a ~12% discount to NAV. Coupon is about 5%, underlying asset price is 107% of par, and with the discount to NAV you're effectively getting the portfolio for under par and over 5% yield, turns to the 5% flat distribution rate after fees. For tax advantaged debt. That's nice. Really nice. No Puerto Rico debt tucked into the portfolio which would be really bad and would be a concern at that yield level. So that's nice too. Long duration is neither here nor there.....wouldn't want that myself but fine for generating retirement income. Uses leverage in a bond fund which is kind of ugly. You buy bonds to de-risk, and being leveraged up works directly against that. If there is a duration mismatch between the leverage and the underlying bonds (which I dunno, not going to do that level of research, you can/should) that adds even more interest rate risk (both upside and downside) than already exists in a long duration bond portfolio, which is not so nice from a risk perspective. Of course, that's how you get that 5% yield (really 4.5% with a discount to NAV).

HYD is a lot simpler. It looks like pretty much a well diversified municipal junk bond fund. I wouldn't mind holding a bit of it in a portfolio which was mostly stocks and other types of bonds for diversification but IMO it shouldn't be a large percentage of someone's holdings, so depends on the size and composition of that IRA.
Thank you for that information.

Old 07-15-2017, 04:07 AM

106,528 posts, read 108,647,625 times
Quote:

Thanks.

high yield is a dangerous place to be as a total investment . the low hanging fruit has been picked and the interest rate risk and credit risk now have high yield very over valued .

nxj has lost almost 2% of its value over the last year . a 5% dividend is only a 3% return when you take 2% out of the other pocket .

your total return on hyd the last year is less than a money market at .50% . these are dangerous places to be now .

don't be fooled by the high dividends . it is the over all value of your investment that counts .

if any one doubts it i will gladly pay you more than those dividends but i keep your principal .

Old 07-15-2017, 12:35 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,557,197 times
They're not the same as high yield corporate bonds. They have low correlation to high yield corporate bonds as well as to stocks. The performance during stock bull and bear markets is very stable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing