Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2017, 08:43 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,383,197 times

Advertisements

Hello everybody, I am a recent college grad and I have been meaning to invest.I have income and I would like to save for retirement.I initially liked Dave Ramsey's mutual fund advice but I did research on my own and came to realize that his investing advice is wrong.I already have some stock.I like index funds now.I know Vanguard pioneered index funds.I have been considering the funds from Fidelity,Charles Schwab, and Vanguard.I think I have found index funds with lower expense ratios than Vanguards like the Charles Schwab.What is the best S&P 500 index fund,everybody?I am kind of confused.Thanks in advance,everybody.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2017, 08:47 PM

2,189 posts, read 2,605,871 times
I like the Schwab branded ETFs like SCHB and SCHX, they have even lower expense ratios than Vanguard, and you can buy them for no commission cost online, which means you can buy 1 or 2 shares at a time, which I imagine is a lower minimum than most fund contribution minimums.
Attached Thumbnails
Looking for the "best" S&P 500 Index fund-schwab-etf-list-updated-2016.jpg  

Old 07-20-2017, 08:51 PM

2,189 posts, read 2,605,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
Hello everybody, I am a recent college grad and I have been meaning to invest.I have income and I would like to save for retirement.I initially liked Dave Ramsey's mutual fund advice but I did research on my own and came to realize that his investing advice is wrong.I already have some stock.I like index funds now.I know Vanguard pioneered index funds.I have been considering the funds from Fidelity,Charles Schwab, and Vanguard.I think I have found index funds with lower expense ratios than Vanguards like the Charles Schwab.What is the best S&P 500 index fund,everybody?I am kind of confused.Thanks in advance,everybody.
You are completely right about Dave Ramsey, he has great get out of debt advice but horrible mutual fund investment advice. I'd say he's a complete sell-out to high expense ratio mutual fund peddlers that rip investors off.

Old 07-20-2017, 08:53 PM

30,897 posts, read 36,958,653 times
Dave Ramsey is right about a lot of things. IE the 7 Baby Steps are generally very sound. But you are right. His investing advice sucks.

As long as you are in a reasonable ballpark a few basis points in expense ratio isn't really going to matter. Vanguard drops their expense ratios for their index funds quite a bit once your account balance hits $10,000. But those ETFs from Schwab sound good, especially if you don't have much money to start with.

Old 07-20-2017, 08:56 PM

10,357 posts, read 7,988,269 times
You won't go wrong with any of the firms you've mentioned, OP. Most people agree that Fidelity and Charles Schwab have nicer websites than Vanguard's, if that matters to you. All three offer many nice fund choices. It's more important that you start investing now than it is to search around for the absolutely lowest cost S&P index fund. If you're leaning toward Charles Schwab, open an account there and start investing!

Old 07-21-2017, 04:55 AM

106,671 posts, read 108,833,673 times
Expenses are only part of the story . How an s&p fund is structured and what its prospectus says it is allowed to do can vary both your returns and taxable distributions .

Some funds can loan out shares to beef returns ,they can use derivatives ,others can't. Some hold more stocks and some a bit less .even cash positions can matter .some s&p funds like schwab had worse taxable events than fidelity or vanguard.

There is a difference between spy vs ivv for an example as spy is structured under a investment trust. Itchas far stricter guiiide lines than say ivv

Last edited by mathjak107; 07-21-2017 at 05:16 AM..

Old 07-21-2017, 07:41 AM

997 posts, read 850,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fumbling View Post
You are completely right about Dave Ramsey, he has great get out of debt advice but horrible mutual fund investment advice. I'd say he's a complete sell-out to high expense ratio mutual fund peddlers that rip investors off.
But, before u pay off your debts, go to my ELP and buy some term life insurance. Oh, and buy my new book, come down to my area and take my counseling class (for a few of course) and I will turn your life around. Haha, he's a real piece of work. Praise the lord, lol he has "the heart of a teacher".

Old 07-21-2017, 08:26 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,760,547 times
You can buy 1 or 2 shares of vti or Vo if you have Vanguard account, same as Schwab.

Old 07-21-2017, 11:49 AM

27,566 posts, read 28,665,617 times
What is wrong with SPY?

Old 07-21-2017, 12:05 PM

106,671 posts, read 108,833,673 times
There is nothing wrong with spy except they are bound by different rules as far as what they can do.

Ivv tends to have a better return because they can use derivitives, loan out stocks and generate return in other fashions spy is not allowed to do
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing