Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2017, 08:49 PM

30,897 posts, read 36,954,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipsters View Post
I can buy any fund out there, was thinking a target retirement date fund for ease of use, possibly by Vanguard.

Annually contribute around $40,000.

Thoughts?
I like Vanguard Wellington better than target date funds. Wellington has actually beaten the S&P 500 Index over the last 20 years (8.24% for higher cost share class vs. 7.18% for Vanguard's super cheap S&P 500 Institutional Index Fund) with less risk/volatility. It may not do so over the next 20, but its index-fund-like expense ratio of .16% for balances of 50K or more (.25% for lower balances) mean it has a good chance of better than average returns in the future.

Other balanced funds I like:

--Dodge & Cox Balanced
--Oakmark Equity & Income
--Mairs & Power Balanced
--Fidelity Balanced
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2017, 08:56 PM

18,082 posts, read 15,664,302 times
Quote:
I like Vanguard Wellington
I like it too!

My mother decided she wanted to invest a little side money in a Vanguard low cost index fund since she read an article by Warren Buffet about low cost funds (she keeps calling them "low index funds"). So I set her up in Vanguard and put her in Wellington.

Old 08-11-2017, 12:57 AM

30,897 posts, read 36,954,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
I like it too!

My mother decided she wanted to invest a little side money in a Vanguard low cost index fund since she read an article by Warren Buffet about low cost funds (she keeps calling them "low index funds"). So I set her up in Vanguard and put her in Wellington.
Well, as you know, Wellington isn't an index fund, but it is very low cost. Very hard to go wrong with it, IMO, assuming you really do have a 30 year time horizon. But for those who must only invest in index funds, Vanguard Balanced Index is a decent choice.

Old 08-11-2017, 03:49 AM

16,278 posts, read 10,411,688 times
To the OP you really can't go wrong with any of the suggestions. I love Wellington, it's been discussed at length here and is currently 55% of my 401. But I'm 58 and my timeline is a lot shorter than yours is. IMO you really do not have a need for a lot of bond holdings, and certainly not the 35% or so that Wellington holds.

Just go with the 500 Index or the total stock market index for now, as MJ suggested as you move along diversify into small/mid and maybe some international. Internationals have been terrible for the last decade, I would think they are due for a rebound eventually and certainly within your timeline.

Old 08-11-2017, 04:10 AM

106,668 posts, read 108,810,853 times
small caps when held in enough of an allocation to really have an effect can cut both ways . fidelity small cap growth took a 2.39% hit yesterday . that is like over a 500 point drop in the dow . . small cap value got hit somewhere around 1.50% so volatility can run pretty high once you get away from the s&p 500 .

Old 08-11-2017, 07:31 AM

18,082 posts, read 15,664,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Well, as you know, Wellington isn't an index fund, but it is very low cost. Very hard to go wrong with it, IMO, assuming you really do have a 30 year time horizon. But for those who must only invest in index funds, Vanguard Balanced Index is a decent choice.
She invested a very small amount on her own (actually with me doing it) and it makes her feel good. Wellington is lower risk and she can have fun looking at it. She doesn't have a long time horizon since she's 89, but I'm a joint owner on her account so it will pass to me. I have a much larger stake in Wellington.

Old 08-11-2017, 12:11 PM

106,668 posts, read 108,810,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
To the OP you really can't go wrong with any of the suggestions. I love Wellington, it's been discussed at length here and is currently 55% of my 401. But I'm 58 and my timeline is a lot shorter than yours is. IMO you really do not have a need for a lot of bond holdings, and certainly not the 35% or so that Wellington holds.

Just go with the 500 Index or the total stock market index for now, as MJ suggested as you move along diversify into small/mid and maybe some international. Internationals have been terrible for the last decade, I would think they are due for a rebound eventually and certainly within your timeline.
i agree , for a long term investor wellington is to bond heavy unless they have a low tolerance for volatility.lots of people use a 50/50 mix of wellington and wellesley as their retirement model .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing