Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2017, 10:11 AM

5,872 posts, read 8,092,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsoldier1976 View Post

OP if you are really serious about putting aside money that you want to grow you will need to invest in equities. This requires the investor to not only ride the ups but also the downs. The key is time. Time is what gives equities the safety as long as your investments are balanced.

Things to not do.

2. Do not panic and sell when the market is down. Selling locks in losses.
Overall agree, I just have a few things I would like to clarify....you don't ride out the ups/downs, while I agree that time is an important criteria it's also centered around is this a ST or LT investment strategy for that particular security/portion of the portfolio (not talking day-trading). And once that is established, creating a trade plan/portfolio plan around that allocation. Do the research (OP), determine the time horizon, then where is that position(s) trading. Then determine your trade plan around that, set your profit exits, exit strategies and stick to them. Don't try to hang on to a stock for the last few pennies, and don't hang on to a position "because it has to come back" or "the fundamentals are good, even though it's broken through all support, it has to come back right?" Find your exit(s) and stick to them. If you lose a little on either side that's ok, the point is you met your thresholds & you can live to fight another day.

Institutional traders are successful b/c they have tightly defined risk strategies. They don't have a lot of big winners, but the they are successful b/c they don't swallow or expose the book to big losses.

Other than that, good luck in the markets!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2017, 10:19 AM

2,951 posts, read 2,517,842 times
I agree with those who say get rid of her.

Move your money, she is only looking out for her own benefit and a commission.

I turn her into the bank president if they tried to pull that on me.

Are you 65+. Might be a SEC law she is violating.

Old 08-31-2017, 03:19 PM

1,870 posts, read 1,901,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
1 million is hardly "very rich". That gets you maybe a 2 bedroom house on a 4000 square foot lot built in the 1920s.
It's $1 million in invest-able assets.

Lots of people that have $1 million in property equity probably have nowhere near $1 million in, say, brokerage assets or CDs or whatever ...

That said, $1 million in invest-able assets would give a 50-year-old ( or younger ) a nice $30k or so income, so you're not wrong.

Old 08-31-2017, 04:26 PM

4,369 posts, read 3,722,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDtheftV View Post
It's $1 million in invest-able assets.

Lots of people that have $1 million in property equity probably have nowhere near $1 million in, say, brokerage assets or CDs or whatever ...

That said, $1 million in invest-able assets would give a 50-year-old ( or younger ) a nice $30k or so income, so you're not wrong.
I'm way closer to having 1 million in investable assets than owning a 2 bedroom house.

Old 09-01-2017, 07:46 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,193,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad01 View Post
so my "personal banker" has been on my case lately
telling me that I should immediately get out of cash right now and invest everything that is in my savings in a managed portfolio

she is saying that cash is going to be nearly useless in the months ahead and dollar is going to crash

WHile I do think that wisely investing is the best strategy but I'm getting uncomfortable why she is being almost pushy right now, secondly I would never like to invest in anything I do not understand ( granted my financial knowledge is poor ) but just seems silly to get into something I dont understand

Is there really a grave concern that dollar will lose most of its value in the near future ?

Do the personal bankers get a cut every time we invest through them or she is doing this out of the goodness of her heart and watching out for my interest ..I'm skeptical

please help
Of course the banker would get a commission cut for having your money in a managed portfolio. I'd if she is pushy and you don't feel comfortable with her action, I would look to go somewhere else.

As for the Dollar crashing. The reminds me of those internet Ads I saw last year that stated how said crash was happening on Sept 22, 2016. The day passed and nothing happened. Saw the same ad a few days later: crash was going to happen on October 5, 2016.

Old 09-01-2017, 03:21 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,377,272 times
I think your "personal banker" is trying to rip you off.The dollar is not going to collapse in a matter of months.I would just go with a no-load index fund from Schwab,Fidelity or Vanguard.

Old 09-02-2017, 10:57 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,949,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad01 View Post
^ yes I'm definately not in that category

I picked up this book "https://www.amazon.com/Investing-Dummies-Eric-Tyson/dp/1119293340

as a start
That's probably a good start. Comprehensive and digestible.

I also recommend Mr. Money Mustache. Less to read and he gives you the gist of it faster:

Why Hardcore Saving is much more Powerful than Masterful Investing

Old 09-02-2017, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
1 million is hardly "very rich". That gets you maybe a 2 bedroom house on a 4000 square foot lot built in the 1920s.
No need to nitpick. For investment banking $1M is probably the minimum, and even that may be too low. And normally someone with that kind of liquid money to invest probably has money elsewhere too, in 401ks or business ownership, etc., so the $1M typically wouldn't be all of their assets.

In any case, $1M liquid is a lot more than our OP has, and a lot more than most people have--even in the Bay Area.

Old 09-02-2017, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneslip View Post
Agreed- I hate to say it but $1 mill is merely average in today's dollars & even $5 mill is considered comfortable. I would say you need at least $10 to get into the club & even then you are considered low end.
$1M is not average as far as net worth goes. I think the median in the U.S. is something like 200K--and that includes home equity.

But yes, it may not be enough to do investment banking. I don't know as I'm not in that league.

Old 09-02-2017, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
I think your "personal banker" is trying to rip you off.The dollar is not going to collapse in a matter of months.I would just go with a no-load index fund from Schwab,Fidelity or Vanguard.
Those are good choices, although my favorite is still Vanguard Wellington. People on these boards thumb their noses at it because it's about 35% in bonds, but stocks are kinda high right now, and Wellington has actually beaten the S&P 500 Stock Index over the last 20 years. It may not do so over the next 20, but it still has a better "sleep at night" factor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing