Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2017, 09:26 PM

10,226 posts, read 7,522,067 times

Advertisements

I have my accounts at Scottrade, which has been sold to TD Ameritrade. I don't care much for TD Ameritrade, having had a small acct there once.

At Scottrade I pay $6.95 for stock trades & $17 transaction fee for mutual funds. I have access to the S&P stock reports, as well as several other reports on individual stocks. Info on bonds, as well.

Is there another comparable, good online brokerage firm that you know of or have used?

I checked out Vanguard & Fidelity, but wasn't impressed. High transaction fee for mutual funds, and confusing rules and pricing structure. Hard to see everything, when you don't have an acct there, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2017, 10:34 PM

17,696 posts, read 15,410,768 times
There is no transaction fee for most mutual funds owned by the brokerage house. These are "no load and no transaction fee funds and ETFs." Fidelity has other funds at no fee including iShare funds/etfs in addition to their own. Fidelity fee for trading stock is $4.95 per transaction. Vanguard charges $7.95 per stock or non-vanguard fund transaction.

Fidelity has more comprehensive research tools and access to data than Vanguard. Vanguard is known for having among the lowest expense ratios in the industry for their funds, although Fidelity is trying to compete with them and has lowered some of their expense ratios.

Between the two I'd say Fidelity has the edge here. I have accounts at both since I purchase funds by each.

Old 10-10-2017, 10:52 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,639 posts, read 57,683,287 times
I feel for you... TD bought THREE of my previously GREAT brokerages...

so... now I am stuck with...
Vanguard - rollovers / Donor advised = passive investing with simple instructions
Fidelity Brokerage + bank + MF's / ETFs(normal / simple / retirement stuff) I REALLY don't like them. (Pretty worthless) LOTS of banking and CC hassles. (not fun when you are overseas 50%+)

and for the more complex deals...(options+)
https://www.interactivebrokers.com/en/home.php

I would also look into https://tastyworks.com/
Since I was very pleased with ThinkorSwim (bought by TD)

TD of course ended up with some of my accts, but I have moved most, and will continue to flee them.

Ideally I would have a ONE STOP SHOP!, but...12+ accts (IRA's, 401k, Roth, traditional, LLC's, SDIRA (Self directed business IRA LLC's), business accts, spouse , custodial,,, USA makes it SO EZ...)

Old 10-11-2017, 05:38 AM

1,767 posts, read 1,734,799 times
I have to laugh when brokerage clients complain about the banking capabilities at their firm such as Fidelity, Vanguard etc. These are not banks, they are investment firms- they have to use 3rd party banks to process transactions so there can & are some limitations at times. Brokerage companies have been offering cash management accounts for quite some time and recently have been promoting them as an alternative to the traditional bank as less expensive due to banking fee's but there are some transactions that are challenging such as requesting a cashier's check and forget being able to deposit any cash. For the most part these accounts can run very smoothly but if you are someone that is challenged by banking procedures or needs more hands on help then a traditional bank would be a better relationship.

I compare this as going to seafood restaurant and ordering a steak....the restaurant specializes in seafood but can cook a steak for you but don't expect the steak to be perfect.

Old 10-11-2017, 05:47 AM

748 posts, read 817,238 times
I really haven't found another broker I liked as much as Think Or Swim. I use IBKR, but not a huge fan of the software terminal. It works and all. It's suitable for long term investors and all, but sort of begs you to trade with all it's capabilities. The commissions however are very good.

Old 10-11-2017, 07:03 AM

2,805 posts, read 3,241,163 times
Fidelity.

Old 10-11-2017, 07:20 AM

5,872 posts, read 8,072,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
I have my accounts at Scottrade, which has been sold to TD Ameritrade. I don't care much for TD Ameritrade, having had a small acct there once.

At Scottrade I pay $6.95 for stock trades & $17 transaction fee for mutual funds. I have access to the S&P stock reports, as well as several other reports on individual stocks. Info on bonds, as well.

Is there another comparable, good online brokerage firm that you know of or have used?

I checked out Vanguard & Fidelity, but wasn't impressed. High transaction fee for mutual funds, and confusing rules and pricing structure. Hard to see everything, when you don't have an acct there, though.
You should call Schwab & ask about the transfer deal they have for Scottrade accounts. I think you'll be happy.

Old 10-11-2017, 07:27 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,366,587 times
I buy only Vanguard funds and ETF's so I use Vanguard and pay no fees. I don't care to buy individual stocks but they are pretty cheap for that as well. I've heard grumblings about their customer service but I haven't had any major contacts with them just a few questions by econtact/email.

Old 10-11-2017, 07:51 AM

5,872 posts, read 8,072,326 times
For Vanguard if you have less than $50k, after your first 25 trades, it's $20/trade. If you have $50-$500k it's $7, which is roughly $2/trade more than other B/D's.

https://investor.vanguard.com/invest...es-commissions

Old 10-11-2017, 08:06 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,541,828 times
i use fidelity and have always tried to limit myself to their funds and etf's that have no transaction fees. i am very happy with the online experience. so for me, it is very low cost and i am very happy with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing