Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2017, 10:38 AM

1,544 posts, read 1,192,841 times

Advertisements

I just saw this poll on MSN.com and was surprised at the results of the general public's perception. Poll results:
Good - 37%
Bad - 32%
I don't know 31%

I really expected to see a much bigger "Bad" number and am wondering what I'm missing? The market is so high right now and the general consensus among many "finance experts" is that a fairly large correction is imminent - most likely in first half of 2018.

Why do so many people think it's a good time to jump into the market? If you're already in, then yes, maybe cautiously stay a bit longer, but paddle towards safer waters. But if you're cash only right now, I can't believe that this would be good timing to jump into the market.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2017, 10:42 AM

106,642 posts, read 108,790,719 times
if you did not sell , each day you are effectively "buying in "

there is no difference between closing out your position each night and buying back in each morning vs keeping the same money in play over night, when it comes to this question . .

Old 12-05-2017, 10:43 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,425,894 times
Probably bad. We are very likely near the top of a bull market. At some point the stock market will drop but that could happen tomorrow, in 6 months, or in 6 years. If you are holding long term say at least 10 years or so it doesn't matter as much as the stock market will almost certainly be higher then than now.

Old 12-05-2017, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
if you did not sell , each day you are effectively "buying in "

there is no different between closing out your position each night and buying bck in vs keeping the same money in play over night .
Yes, unless you currently have everything cashed out. I don't think I'd risk jumping back in right now.

Old 12-05-2017, 10:44 AM

there is no unless ! you are either out or effectively staying in is buying in each day . leaving the money in play ,except for perhaps taxes and transactional costs is no different than selling out and buying back in each day .

if you are in , you are effectively buying in at todays prices -period .

Last edited by mathjak107; 12-05-2017 at 10:58 AM..

Old 12-05-2017, 10:58 AM

I'm saying if you are currently OUT... Like say you have 10K sitting in your savings account. That is out of the market and safely sitting there doing nothing, earning nothing, but out of harm's way. I don't think this is a good time to decide to send that money to Fidelity or Vanguard or wherever and start buying stocks, equities, etc.

I know you have to be able to accept some amount of risk if you're gonna be in, but this just seems an extraordinarily risky time to move a hunk of cash into stocks.

Old 12-05-2017, 11:02 AM

depends on your time horizon . so much happens over the decades spanning a typical accumulation stage that buying in a bit lower waiting for a dip may mean nothing in the long run .
you may miss the big moves and shoot yourself in the foot being out with that money ..

buy price , like expenses , like picking a point to rebalance , adding money or selling , all factor in , and get anyone of them better or worse and the outcome changes .

i have found trying to pick an entry point usually has you giving up more than you benefit when all is said and done.

if i had money to invest for the long term i would still commit it today . by the time we dip you may need to rebalance and would have given up those gains you rebalanced while still waiting for that dip . .

we heard the same thing about bonds vs cash for two years now ,since rates started rising .

had i waited in cash i would have given up tens of thousands sitting in cash instead of the returns my bond funds produced while waiting ..

Last edited by mathjak107; 12-05-2017 at 11:22 AM..

Old 12-06-2017, 06:07 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,259,269 times
If you have properly hedged yourself, you are fine.....even at these high market levels.

I've got some poorly performing but conservative stuff (municipal bond funds) and a govt. bond fund for at least 50% of my investments. I'm not particularly happy with the returns on these for the past 9 months or so, but I do sleep soundly at night. For the rest of the holdings I am trading individual stock tickers. When I reach a 'reasonable' profit point, I flip to other stocks. Look for bargains on stocks that have pulled back.....I wouldn't advise buying at 52 week highs at this point in time.

Last edited by BeerGeek40; 12-06-2017 at 06:45 AM..

Old 12-06-2017, 06:38 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BijouBaby View Post
Is this a Good or Bad Time to Get into the Stock Mkt.?
I really expected to see a much bigger "Bad" number and am wondering what I'm missing?
It's always a good time.
The questions are in HOW you "get in" -- what specifically you buy/hold vs sell etc.

Quote:
But if you're cash only right now...
You'll miss out

Old 12-06-2017, 07:10 AM

5,342 posts, read 6,166,341 times
I think this depends on your time horizon of needing the investments. Personally I'd have 2-3 years of living expenses in laddered CDs and cash if I needed it in the next couple years just in case. But if you are 10+ years out of needing any money like me this is just as good of a time to put more in as it was 6 months ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing