Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2017, 07:41 PM

367 posts, read 487,929 times

Advertisements

Doodle Magic,

If you have $1000 to throw around, what would you buy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2017, 11:40 PM

4,003 posts, read 6,099,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighting Fungus View Post
Doodle Magic,

If you have $1000 to throw around, what would you buy?
My most confident picks are of course Bitcoin, Ethereum, Litecoin, Monero and Dash.

Some stuff on my watch list and/or that I have smaller holdings of is...

Stellar Lumens
XEM - New Economy Movement
Vertcoin
Substratum
Steem
Salt
Reddcoin
Rise
OMG
NEO
NAV
Listk
Ark
Bat
Ardor
Aeon
Electroneum

Probably my favorite coin right now behind BTC, LTC, ETH, and Monero would be Navcoin, it's a nice longshot coin but not that huge of a longshot IMHO. My really really really longshot is Reddcoin though less enthusiastic about that one these days.

One coin I HATE that many other people seem to like is Ripple

Old 12-15-2017, 05:44 AM

3,910 posts, read 9,470,837 times
Right now I’m preoccupied with BTC, ETH, and LTC. Want to dabble in Monero but don’t want the trouble of creating multiple accounts. Long term I remain most bullish on BTC and ETH. LTC is shakier but I think it could outperform the others in the near term.

Old 12-15-2017, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolefan34 View Post
Right now I’m preoccupied with BTC, ETH, and LTC. Want to dabble in Monero but don’t want the trouble of creating multiple accounts. Long term I remain most bullish on BTC and ETH. LTC is shakier but I think it could outperform the others in the near term.
Monero's wallet needs improvement IMHO it's not that great.I'll be honest I keep my Monero on an exchange for this reason. There was a beta version of Monero on Trezor but I was scared to try it.

Old 12-15-2017, 12:40 PM

1,715 posts, read 2,297,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlemagic View Post
My most confident picks are of course Bitcoin, Ethereum, Litecoin, Monero and Dash.

Some stuff on my watch list and/or that I have smaller holdings of is...

Stellar Lumens
XEM - New Economy Movement
Vertcoin
Substratum
Steem
Salt
Reddcoin
Rise
OMG
NEO
NAV
Listk
Ark
Bat
Ardor
Aeon
Electroneum

Probably my favorite coin right now behind BTC, LTC, ETH, and Monero would be Navcoin, it's a nice longshot coin but not that huge of a longshot IMHO. My really really really longshot is Reddcoin though less enthusiastic about that one these days.

One coin I HATE that many other people seem to like is Ripple
Well thats a big list and a good collection to have but for $1000 we need to go all in one or two coins only. So I would go with Quantum or IOTA or Cardano. These have the potential to do what Litecoin and Ethereum did in the past...

Old 12-15-2017, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTony View Post
Well thats a big list and a good collection to have but for $1000 we need to go all in one or two coins only. So I would go with Quantum or IOTA or Cardano. These have the potential to do what Litecoin and Ethereum did in the past...
I wrestle with whether to spread my money out or go heavy on a few coins. When I go heavy on a few and pick the wrong ones I kick myself for not diversifying more and when I go diversified and one or two take off I kick myself for not going all in on them lol.

Something I like to do with some profits is basically just take say $300 and spread $20 across a bunch of 100-200 marketcap coins and basically act like I'm playing the lotto. 9 out of 10 will do nothing but you get those 1 or 2 that 10x.

Something I havn't done a ton of but plan on doing more is taking advantage of staking on proof of stake coins like Neo or Nav or ARK and earn anywhere from 5% to maybe 13%

Old 12-18-2017, 04:37 AM

3,910 posts, read 9,470,837 times
What concerns me lately is that LTC and ETH trade based on Bitcoin. If BTC rises, LTC and ETH rise and vice verca. They used to trade apart.

Old 12-18-2017, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolefan34 View Post
What concerns me lately is that LTC and ETH trade based on Bitcoin. If BTC rises, LTC and ETH rise and vice verca. They used to trade apart.

That's pretty true of almost every cryptocurrency in the space. In the grand scheme of things "diversifying" into altcoins isn't really that diversified because Bitcoin floats all ships in a sense. If Bitcoin goes down so do 99% of altcoins. There occasionally is an altcoin that performs well while Bitcoin is dropping in price, one recent one that comes to mind is Vertcoin which was going up while Bitcoin was going down but for the most part when Bitcoin isnt' doing well neither are altcoins

Old 12-19-2017, 10:23 AM

1,715 posts, read 2,297,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlemagic View Post
I wrestle with whether to spread my money out or go heavy on a few coins. When I go heavy on a few and pick the wrong ones I kick myself for not diversifying more and when I go diversified and one or two take off I kick myself for not going all in on them lol.

Something I like to do with some profits is basically just take say $300 and spread $20 across a bunch of 100-200 marketcap coins and basically act like I'm playing the lotto. 9 out of 10 will do nothing but you get those 1 or 2 that 10x.

Something I havn't done a ton of but plan on doing more is taking advantage of staking on proof of stake coins like Neo or Nav or ARK and earn anywhere from 5% to maybe 13%
My goal is to find the next ETH and Litecoin. I realized that inorder to make decent gains one needs to get into good ICO or but them when they are less than a $1 and just hold on to them.

I want to learn POS. Once you are able to do that let me know how it works..

Old 12-19-2017, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTony View Post
My goal is to find the next ETH and Litecoin. I realized that inorder to make decent gains one needs to get into good ICO or but them when they are less than a $1 and just hold on to them.

I want to learn POS. Once you are able to do that let me know how it works..
One lesson I learned from ICO's is don't get into ones that take forever before they have a working project, roll out a coin and hit an exchange. I recently got involved in one that literally took 5 months to pass out the coins and there are still delays and we still don't have them. Even once we get them hopefully this week it's going to be weeks before they hit an exchange and I have a feeling it's going to be a crappy exchange. That brings up another interesting point is if your coin doesn't hit a top 3 exchange that can mean the death of a coin. Not always as some hot coins not are only on Binance or Cryptoopia but if your coin is relegated to like HitBTC or even worse YoBit it's done.

Anyhow, mainly I just feel like it's hard to keep hype up for months so unless they have a pretty short timeline I'm staying away. I recently heard about Covesting and it looks like an interesting project but don't want to get involved in something that isn't rolling out til like Q3 or 2018.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing