Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2018, 11:47 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,037,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
even my wife who has no interest in this stuff can easily follow the newsletter if she had to . you decide on how you want to allocate between the models and that is the end of your thinking about what to do
It is the process of deciding which portfolios and what percentage for each that can require decision making. As you noted elsewhere you are shifting down in risk and lowering your equity share if I remember right. I assume that means allocating more to the to income portfolio and less to growth and income or perhaps growth. It is easier to have relatively substantial not tax deferred funds that you can draw upon if needed. That then means as you have discussed where to keep bonds v equities and where to keep funds that churn more etc etc etc. If you are running the portfolio in both taxable and tax sheltered do you replicate or decide which to use in each etc etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2018, 12:27 PM

106,668 posts, read 108,810,853 times
we have most of the equities in my retirements accounts and most of the bonds in the brokerage account . the low interest rates really are not a tax issue .

we replicate what ever makes up the models from both accounts and own bits and pieces of some of the equities in the brokerage account too .

we are about 2/3's income model and 1/3 growth and income at this point .

once we see some values out there we will add more to growth and income again ..

the good thing is we are over the early sequnce risk hurdles plus coupled with the wonderful gains we have , we are under no pressure to run high equity levels and 40% could work fine forever. but when the values come back it is worth increasing . many retirees run wellesley as their only fund

Last edited by mathjak107; 01-11-2018 at 12:42 PM..

Old 01-12-2018, 01:17 PM

604 posts, read 839,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
I just follow the guidance provided by the financial experts of certain financial portfolio newsletter and allocate exactly as they specify for the model portfolios I duplicate. Their subscribers do nothing but read a short weekly email and if a change is announced the subscriber makes the same change(s) to their own portfolios the next trading day, which is when the newsletter editors also make them in the model portfolios. (there's no magic or even any thinking involved--the real experts do all the hard work and analysis). Easy peasy.
Which portfolio newsletter? I'm looking for help learning more about investment strategies.

Old 01-12-2018, 01:19 PM

106,668 posts, read 108,810,853 times
a bunch of us use fidelity insight .

Old 01-12-2018, 03:39 PM

745 posts, read 1,324,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
If the above is the case would it be better to place the money in savings instead of a bond fund for diversification purposes? Ally Bank right now has a 1.6% 11 month no penalty CD.
I agree with your analysis, but would not go with Ally bank, as they have terrible ratings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing