Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2018, 09:38 AM

13,642 posts, read 9,698,765 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
europeans are far worse than americans for dealing with retirement provision , most european countries have a state pension you can live on even you never paid a red cent in contributions down the years , its an unsustainable situation

americans are at a huge advantage however when it comes to the stock market , the reality is equity investing is rigged in favour of americans over european , let me explain

the s + p went up almost 20% in 2017 , not for someone who lives in ireland or germany , the dollar weakened so much that the return for someone who lives in a eurozone country was not much more than a third of that , add to that if an american bought european stocks in early 2017 , there return was even better than had they put their money in the s + p such was the rise in the euro v dollar

the situation is like this , if the dollar weakens , american companies benefit and the stock market rises , if the eurozone economy improves ( which it has ) , the euro rises against the dollar and this hurts the european stock market in euro terms , this has always been the case even you set aside the fact that the european markets always follow the u.s markets , never once has the european market been in a bull market while the u.s market was going the other way

to conclude , europeans dont see anything like the same benefits from investing in stocks as americans do and thus have on average a far lower level of investment in stocks full stop
This goes both ways. As a US-based investor, I bought into European equities from the late 1990s through around 2007, and especially loaded-up after the dot-com bust, thinking that because Europe is less tech-heavy than the US, it would be less prone to manias or wild gyrations. I also thought that European manufacturing had a better relationship between labor and management, and was going to be more robust that American manufacturing, being less liable to offshoring or undercutting by Asian competitors. Finally, it occurred to me that precisely because Europeans have to worry less about saving for retirement, for college or for healthcare expenses than do their American counterparts, that European consumers would have more disposable cash, and therefore European companies would have more robust retail sales, and hence rising profits.

All of these conjectures turned out to be wrong. The recession in Europe was far stronger than in the US, even if US financial manipulation was its catalyst. Also, my heaviest stock purchases coincided with the rise of the Euro vs. the US dollar. Many were made when the Euro was trading at $1.4 USD or higher. In dollar-denominated terms, my European equity investment (an index fund) suffered a 72% decline from its 2007 peak to its nadir in the Great Recession. Compare that to the drop in the S&P 500 – it was staggeringly worse!

Even after including compounding of dividends, my European investment is cumulatively just barely breaking even (or possibly slightly negative!) in dollar terms, after 20+ years of buy-and-hold. This is AFTER the recent rise of the Euro and improvement in European stock markets. European equities are by far the worst-performing asset class that I’ve ever held (well, except for local real-estate, but that’s its own topic).

The irony is that if I’d “known” less, and didn’t think about international investing, and had benighted self-limitation in belief that America was an island and that nothing beyond America even exists… if I totally eschewed international diversification… I’d have done better. If I’d not had frequent international travels, getting seduced by beautiful city streets and bustling tourist-attractions and fancy hotels and the outward trappings of prosperity, maybe I’d have avoided Europe as an investment. The lesson is, that sometimes LESS knowledge is better. Sometimes dullness and the wearing of blinders lead to a more lucrative outcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2018, 09:55 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,858,996 times
Quote:
wall st insiders engineer bear markets
LOL! Name one. Just one -- go ahead, name one "insider" who has "engineered a bear market." I dare you. I double-dog dare you.

Quote:
the markets are manipulated in the short term , explain why apple stock is nearly 80% more expensive today than eighteen months ago ?

OK... how about:

DCF = [CF1/(1+r)^1] + [CF2/(1+r)^2] + ... + [CFn/(1+r)^n]

CF = Cash Flow in time period n

r= discount rate -- the weighted average cost of capital.

The exact calculations for arriving at a DCF value can become a bit complicated because analysts have a choice of various input values to use. Basically, DCF is a calculation of a company's current and future available cash, designated as free cash flow, determined as operating profit, depreciation and amortization, minus capital and operational expenses and taxes. These year-by-year projected amounts are then discounted using the company's weighted average cost of capital to finally obtain a current value estimate of the company's future growth. The rule of thumb for investors is that a stock is considered to have good potential if the DCF analysis value is higher than the current stock value.

Read more: How do I use discounted cash flow (DCF) to value stock? | Investopedia https://www.investopedia.com/ask/ans...#ixzz54eNlpS18
Follow us: Investopedia on Facebook

Old 01-19-2018, 12:17 PM

15,945 posts, read 12,276,554 times
My father God Bless him is one despite having above average stock market knowledge gets over emotional and thinks any time a stock plunges that it's "manipulation" from day traders and that everything is supposed to go up nice and smooth forever to avoid any emotional upset. Simple laws of nature dictate that will never happen. Everything goes through cycles including the economy.

This grand conspiracy about manipulation to keep prices down isn't really true on a large scale. Perhaps some stocks have a lot of naked shorting or perhaps a supportive federal reserve monetary policy has encouraged money to go into the stock market, but some grand scheme to achieve a certain goal... the only goal the central banks have is to prevent a collapse and try to maintain stability.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing