Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2018, 02:24 AM

87 posts, read 37,314 times

Advertisements

Hi!

In response to a query titled “Criteria for Selecting Stocks Suitable for Buying Calls,” TxGolfer130 wrote as follows:

“You want to start with time frame first. 30-90 days good. Now the underlying, is it volatile, what is the 52 wk high/low. What are the technicals saying? Find support/resistance over & time frame (start 30, 60, 90). NOW, research option strikes near your target range. What is the IV, open interest & volume. What is underlying volume. What is P&L for each strike within 4 strikes of your target. Now you've got max/min/break-even calculated, time frame and plan for exit should you need to roll”.

Please suggest the yardsticks to follow. For example, for volatility, what is the optimum volatility expressed as a percentage of the market price. I am looking for yardsticks not only for volatility but for the other criteria as well

Thank you!

Doctor TR
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2018, 11:26 AM

5,872 posts, read 8,090,819 times
So your answer is not a simple here is a value at which ANYTHING is under/over valued. It is: It depends.

What are you trading. What is your perspective (bullish/bearish), these are are to do with the underlying asset. Implied volatility comes from the predicted price movement (delta change relative to expiration) of the underlying and the cost on the option (derivative) to insure that particular strike.

Here is a decent video that was recently put up by someone who was a market maker at the CBOE. It's a decent primer for what is implied volatility and how it's priced into the option. He gets a little off base discussing .VIX, but it's worth it b/c you need to know what the .VIX is and what it represents also.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKMwFgWYAZM

Old 01-14-2018, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txgolfer130 View Post
... Implied volatility ...
Dear TxGolpher130,

Thank you for your reply.

I'll research IV, IVR, IVP, and VIX.

By the way, years ago, I had to write a paper on the Black-Scholes Pricing Model referenced in rhe video. At that, time I had no clue what it meant.

Doctor TR

Old 01-14-2018, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorTR View Post
Dear TxGolpher130,

I'll research IV, IVR, IVP, and VIX.

By the way, years ago, I had to write a paper on the Black-Scholes Pricing Model referenced in rhe video. At that, time I had no clue what it meant.

Doctor TR
Know that B-S model is the most common IV calculator, however it uses the fixed expiration date in the binomial equation. The Cox-Ross-Rubenstein is a better IV calculator for American style options as it takes the day to day IV into the equation since American style options can be exercised at any time they are in the money.

Good to know both.

Old 01-15-2018, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txgolfer130 View Post
... The Cox-Ross-Rubenstein is a better IV calculator for American style options ...
Dear TxGolfer130,

I'll look into the RS model. At 74, with so many things to learn, I may never get to do an actual trade.

Doctor TR

Old 01-15-2018, 09:20 AM

LOL! I know it may seem that way, options are a much cheaper way to get an entry to a position (initial), attempt an arbitrage on an underlying and/or speculate on price movement.

Option traders are ruthless, and market makers more so, the learning curve has to be steep just to protect yourself. An easy way to dip your toes in are long calls. Pick an underlying, time frame, price range & go for it. You will most probably lose your premium as 80% of the time the calls will expire worthless. However, in this market you've got a better chance than ever to do it. I would suggest maybe taking a look at index options, it won't be as difficult with the research (as in-depth). You need to be aware though, that they are cash settled, and are European style options. You can do ETF's that are index benchmarked, DIA, QQQ, SPY, but those are American style options and require the minimal research.

Try maybe one of those if you want to get it, just understand what you want to do if it does go into the money AND that b/c they are ETF's they pay dividends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing