Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2018, 07:48 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,951,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDtheftV View Post
We do it because it's fun you fuddy-duddy.When YOU do it, I'd call it a speculation and not gambling.

YOU have a sense of timing and a big-picture view and most of the crypto-buyers are like the dot.com buyers of the 1998-1999-2000 era. I don't know how old you are, but I remember that time very well.

I'm sure I'll see this again, possibly with the upcoming electric dog-polisher investment boom ......

I'm pretty-sure that half the new threads will be about that, just like they would have been about the dot.com stuff had there been a c-d. For those newbies on here, dot.com stuff was thrashed-out on usenet and google was an upstart .....
I call it a gamble for myself because I really dont have an opinion on whether I think this will become a form of currency or hedge in the future. I simply wanted to ride the wave up.

A person who believes it is the future is speculating using his or her own judgement, which isnt a gamble, but that isnt me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2018, 09:12 PM

3,672 posts, read 2,751,005 times
“When paper boys and cabbies pitch me an investment I know to then sell.”

-Me

Old 01-16-2018, 09:25 PM

270 posts, read 203,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
I call it a gamble for myself because I really dont have an opinion on whether I think this will become a form of currency or hedge in the future. I simply wanted to ride the wave up.

A person who believes it is the future is speculating using his or her own judgement, which isnt a gamble, but that isnt me.
I'm in the same boat.

Old 01-16-2018, 09:29 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,454,917 times
Quote:

I don't see the technology going away but I could see a lot of the current coins worth millions or sometimes billions going away or basically going away like those stocks on the pink sheets .

Private corporations are also developing their own blockchains and they have a lot more resources than all these projects .
I see the teams listed and they are usually pretty small .

You also aren't actually investing or own an equity stake in these "projects "
I don't know if many people realize that .

It's going to be interesting to see what happens this year for sure .

Old 01-16-2018, 09:34 PM

35,069 posts, read 31,293,790 times
I would bet on ETH doing very well. I could see it reaching its most recent highs shortly.

BTC will probably rebound but I don't know if it will get back to $19,000 quickly. A lot of ground to make up there.

I had some spare change in Cryptopia and bought 15k Dogecoin at .00000066 BTC earlier today. It's sitting at 55 now. I lost 1/6 of the value. I think it's about $150 USD.

I think ETH has a solid business model and under $1,000 I'm buying.

Old 01-16-2018, 10:01 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,951,108 times
Great points everyone!

My biggest hurdle after reading an article that stayed with me was talking about how in order for wide adoption, it needs to be stable. How can you price something when the value changes double digits every 24 hours or less? I think the idea behind it could work, but yes, like I said, I don't have a strong opinion either way. I was late to the party, but wanted to get in case there was still room in the break out... the very well could be more room to go, but I got out around when bitcoin was $16k and then sold the rest around $14k if I remember correctly. I was up a ton at one point, even though I was late. The market has just been so strong that seeing red, even though it was a small amount, bothered me lol. I closed out my position in UPRO because we are really extended now and put everything into SPY for now.

Old 01-16-2018, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I would bet on ETH doing very well. I could see it reaching its most recent highs shortly.

BTC will probably rebound but I don't know if it will get back to $19,000 quickly. A lot of ground to make up there.

I had some spare change in Cryptopia and bought 15k Dogecoin at .00000066 BTC earlier today. It's sitting at 55 now. I lost 1/6 of the value. I think it's about $150 USD.

I think ETH has a solid business model and under $1,000 I'm buying.
Yeah ETH is pretty much in a league of their own .

All these new cryptos mostly use ETH and require you to use ETH if you want to buy during ICO.

I bought some ETH on Christmas Eve for $700 and the other day it had it $1400..
Of course now it's way down from that like everything but I already spent that putting into different ICOs mostly .

I was looking at ETH daily when it was around $300 but didn't even buy any . It's amazing it was only $10 early 2017 too .. but I don't think I even knew about it then .

So many coins were pennies and went to even double digit dollars it's nuts

Old 01-16-2018, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Great points everyone!

My biggest hurdle after reading an article that stayed with me was talking about how in order for wide adoption, it needs to be stable. How can you price something when the value changes double digits every 24 hours or less? I think the idea behind it could work, but yes, like I said, I don't have a strong opinion either way. I was late to the party, but wanted to get in case there was still room in the break out... the very well could be more room to go, but I got out around when bitcoin was $16k and then sold the rest around $14k if I remember correctly. I was up a ton at one point, even though I was late. The market has just been so strong that seeing red, even though it was a small amount, bothered me lol. I closed out my position in UPRO because we are really extended now and put everything into SPY for now.
Yeah i dont really get the places that accept bitcoin for payment .. but I guess they must accept it then convert to fiat ? Unless they really believe in bitcoin long term .
I also hear that the fees are absurd so it doesn't make sense to use it to buy coffee and stuff .

I heard people complaining about slow transfers too.

The big thing with bitcoin is that it's limited to 21 million supposedly while it's not the same for ETH and some of the others .

Old 01-16-2018, 11:40 PM

2,168 posts, read 3,386,523 times
We hit Peak Bitcoin a few weeks ago when half the threads in the investing forum were newbies asking about buying crypto. I will be surprised if crypto recovers from this drop, because it appears the mainstream buzz factor is starting to wear off.

Old 01-17-2018, 06:39 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,262,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
you don’t know if it’s a buy at 10k or 8k either and you could see a 50% loss in the next 40-60 days. It’s nothing more than speculation
And when lowexpectations and beergeek40 are in complete agreement about something... you better pay attention.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing