Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2018, 08:35 AM

3,271 posts, read 2,173,336 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
you can do the worrying for us . the gov't does not keep me on the payroll to worry about and solve their problems . i just worry about playing the cards i am dealt and shifting gears as needed
Complacency. It is what it is.

Read that article. Your mindset is exactly what it's talking about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2018, 08:54 AM

105,888 posts, read 107,840,851 times
noooo , i don't waste time dwelling on what i can't control . i actually spend my time improving my life in the ways i can control . always did , always will .

Old 01-26-2018, 09:09 AM

Quote:
noooo , i don't waste time dwelling on what i can't control . i actually spend my time improving my life in the ways i can control . always did , always will .
Well, who is responsible for it then? Who should take the blame?

I don't think you understand the implications. There will be a point in the near future where it will be dangerous for people to go outside.

These students riddled with debt and no prospects are going to be mad. Look at all the social disorder we have at the moment in a "melt up" economy.

We are to blame for this and we will suffer the consequences. My advice to people is to keep their chin protected when they are walking past groups of young kids in the future.

This is what the US is coming to, but we wanted this. We didn't want any safety nets. We wanted every person for themselves.

That's what we get.

Old 01-26-2018, 09:24 AM

well i suggest you do something about it then . i am done . i wasted a lifetime trying to change things through politics . if i now spend 5 minutes a year thinking about it i wasted 5 good minutes .

you can waste your time complaining about the things you can't control or change or you can learn to play the cards to your advantage . the choice is all yours .

Old 01-26-2018, 09:30 AM

3,672 posts, read 2,728,347 times
It seems everyday now cryptos are going down down down. Meanwhile my stock portfolio is through the roof!

Old 01-26-2018, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyRUMad View Post
It seems everyday now cryptos are going down down down. Meanwhile my stock portfolio is through the roof!
You'd be wrong then.

I'm not going to do your homework for you. That is not my responsibility, but I would advise you to seek out "correlations" before you make a broad statement like that.

As I said before, there will be idiosyncratic events will affect crypto regardless of what happens on a systematic level, but don't be deluded into thinking that things are not connected.

Whether or not that "correlation" will continue, remains to be seen. But at the moment, I don't see anything that leads me to believe otherwise.

Things have a tendency to revert to the mean. I'll leave it at that.

Old 01-26-2018, 09:45 AM

i would guess the bitcoin mean is likely lower than the 50% drop it has seen already . there is not enough history of heavy trading to even stand a chance of estimating what a mean would be for bitcoin to revert to .

Old 01-26-2018, 09:52 AM

Quote:
i would guess the bitcoin mean is likely lower than the 50% drop it has seen already . there is not enough history of heavy trading to even stand a chance of estimating what a mean would be for bitcoin to revert to .
That's not the mean reversion I'm referring to.

I'm not going to give out all the details. That's probably the least relevant point anyway because anybody betting on a mean reversion has been crushed.

That should be sufficient enough information for you to come to a conclusion.

Old 01-26-2018, 09:54 AM

well my statement still stands anyway in regard to reversion to the mean .

with stocks we at least know in the 117 -30 year cycles we have had , we ALWAYS fallout pretty much within 2% of each other in the 8-10% return range .

bitcoin has fallen 50% and we have no clue really what to expect as a long term reversion to a mean .

Old 01-26-2018, 09:56 AM

1,553 posts, read 919,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teak View Post
Gee, that doesn't appear to correlate with small business confidence in this country. NFIB small business optimism index is at an all-time high.

“2017 was the most remarkable year in the 45-year history of the NFIB Optimism Index,” said NFIB President and CEO Juanita Duggan. “With a massive tax cut this year, accompanied by significant regulatory relief, we expect very strong growth, millions more jobs, and higher pay for Americans.”

https://www.advisorperspectives.com/...-a-record-2017

Time to greet and embrace reality, and put aside that DEMentia.

Wonder if Ms. Duggan expected the Trump economy to whiff on GDP last quarter, Teak?

US gross domestic product ... rose at a 2.6% annualized rate in the fourth quarter. ... This was weaker than the 3% growth rate that economists forecast and that the Trump administration set as a target. ... Growth in the third quarter was also revised lower ... President Donald Trump has touted 3% GDP as a target for his administration, even as some polls of economists show this may not be achievable in the long term.

http://www.businessinsider.com/us-gdp-q4-2017-advance-estimate-2018-1

Looks like you and Ms Duggan are the ones who could use a good reality check...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing