Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2018, 09:59 AM

8 posts, read 3,435 times

Advertisements

First time and new user on this forum !!!

Have been investing in mutual funds for years. Want to get started investing in private companies. Looking at going through a venture capitol firm or syndicate not direct. What are the do's and don'ts ? If you have direct experience please response . thanks so much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2018, 10:11 AM

8,712 posts, read 6,762,273 times
Private company and VC investments are about as far from good ideas for inexperienced investors as it's possible to get. It's very high risk and fearsomely difficult to analyze the risks, and reward potential is always always always overstated by all parties. IPOs are risky, too, but at least 90% of the legwork has been done for you.

Same rules as any other speculation: don't invest money you can't afford to lose; use a professional with experience in this specific area measured in decades.

Old 01-24-2018, 10:38 AM

8 posts, read 3,435 times
Default private

Thanks it will be in very small amounts $3000

Old 01-24-2018, 10:41 AM

Have fun, good luck and may the forces be with you!

Old 01-24-2018, 10:49 AM

2,747 posts, read 1,782,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jo keller View Post
I don't think there's any private company investment you can make for $3k, unless it's a company you're working for a friend/family situation.

Old 01-24-2018, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuiteLiving View Post
I don't think there's any private company investment you can make for $3k, unless it's a company you're working for a friend/family situation.
I've had opportunities to invest on this scale, usually through connections to connections and investment brokers working with local companies. It can be done. There are VC aggregators that will work with small investors, too.

Old 01-24-2018, 11:08 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,587,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
I've had opportunities to invest on this scale, usually through connections to connections and investment brokers working with local companies. It can be done. There are VC aggregators that will work with small investors, too.
No broker or aggregator wants to deal with 3k contributions to private placements or VC. Well maybe if the rips are huuuuge but even then it’s questionable

Old 01-24-2018, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
No broker or aggregator wants to deal with 3k contributions to private placements or VC.
I am speaking from experience of a few years ago. Maybe the game's changed since then but I helped a couple of family members find just such an investment source. (It did okay.)

Old 01-24-2018, 11:11 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jo keller View Post
it sounds like a scam to me. as far as i know, private equity deals are for big timers. even still, i think they are risky and under perform. but at least you supposedly have your adviser looking out for you. with a 3k contribution, i think it is probably just someone looking to steal a lot of people's 3k investments.

Old 01-24-2018, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
it sounds like a scam to me. as far as i know, private equity deals are for big timers. even still, i think they are risky and under perform. but at least you supposedly have your adviser looking out for you. with a 3k contribution, i think it is probably just someone looking to steal a lot of people's 3k investments.
And most VC goes to companies looking to steal someone's $3M investments. Vegas has better odds.

I'd suggest investing friends, family and FOAFs... with the attitude you will never see a dime back. Just maybe a pot of gold with show up. (As I said, "money you can afford to lose.")

Otherwise, stay with funds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing