Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2018, 10:48 AM

12 posts, read 10,052 times

Advertisements

To invest forever is not reasonable. If you never take profit then you may as well throw it in the dump. But when do you take money off the table? I understand if you are 25yo you would want to let an IRA run and make money but if your a few years out from SS and as now we are at the top of the market when do you pull money off the table?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2018, 11:15 AM

5,872 posts, read 8,090,819 times
When I have hit my pre-trade determined profit exit within my trade plan. I have one for both short and long term trades, as well as investments.

Your profit exit based on if you're a few years out from taking SS, will be based on your retirement plan, risk tolerance, overall portfolio allocation.

And who says were at a top?

Old 01-24-2018, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txgolfer130 View Post
When I have hit my pre-trade determined profit exit within my trade plan. I have one for both short and long term trades, as well as investments.

Your profit exit based on if you're a few years out from taking SS, will be based on your retirement plan, risk tolerance, overall portfolio allocation.

And who says were at a top?
By at top I mean all time high. We can set new ATH but we are there right now. I am at 50 percent Profit. My plan is to sell all my stocks and then sell puts. I can make money and wait to see if the market corrects. So its no fully off the table.

Old 01-24-2018, 11:19 AM

3,148 posts, read 2,729,508 times
I've only ever taken money out of the market to buy real estate. I just take what I need regardless of the market being up or down.

Old 01-24-2018, 11:27 AM

5,872 posts, read 8,090,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcavictor626 View Post
By at top I mean all time high. We can set new ATH but we are there right now. I am at 50 percent Profit. My plan is to sell all my stocks and then sell puts. I can make money and wait to see if the market corrects. So its no fully off the table.
Ok, so a few things here. Great job at 50% profit, for sure take some, and either a) re-allocate or b) expand your portfolio.

Why would you sell all? And then sell puts?! You understand that you're taking profit and then buying back in at a top if it hits those strikes.

Depending on your tax bracket, and MAGI, why don't you tax loss harvest any that you have, sell LIFO (especially if you're near a new tax bracket), make sure your retirement accounts are funded, sell covered calls on the positions to continue to enjoy upward possible ATH's, as well as continue to generate additional income over your positions. If they hit your strikes, then you get assigned and have met your profit exits (covered call strikes). Also selling the covered calls, reduces cost basis in some of the shares which you can assign the tax lot to be "assigned" or called away thus reducing your tax implications.

Just a few ideas.

Old 01-24-2018, 12:01 PM

7,899 posts, read 7,108,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcavictor626 View Post
To invest forever is not reasonable. If you never take profit then you may as well throw it in the dump. But when do you take money off the table? I understand if you are 25yo you would want to let an IRA run and make money but if your a few years out from SS and as now we are at the top of the market when do you pull money off the table?
At one time many people reached retirement and were likely to only live a few years. Now we reach retirement and want to have our savings cover expenses for another 30 years or so. That is still long term investing and a substantial stock allocation makes sense. I am over 70 and running close to a 70% allocation. I will probably start to gradually cut back.

Why do you think it is the top of the market? People thought the same way 5 years ago and expected a drop. Even big drops typically recover quickly. Most of us who went through the Great Recession in 2008 recovered our losses in a couple of years.

Old 01-24-2018, 12:45 PM

106,579 posts, read 108,713,667 times
keep in mind that drops in nominal terms recover quickly . but drops in real return which is what really counts have taken longer than a decade a few times .

when do you take profits ? when you met your goal and purpose .

my goal was retirement money . it grew for 30 years just compounding higher and higher through it all .

now i live off it , but i am still invested . just not as heavy.

investing in equities should be long term investing , spanning decades . if it is short term investing than it is more speculating than investing because now you have time constraints .

Old 01-24-2018, 03:56 PM

To stay invested right now is to believe that its different this time.

Old 01-24-2018, 04:05 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,024,360 times
So if 50% of the market was pulled out. Where would the money flow to? Got all this overseas money coming back and corporate taxes cut.

Old 01-24-2018, 04:33 PM

16,269 posts, read 10,395,161 times
When you try to time the market you will lose most of the time. A few years from SS still means a life expectancy of 20-30 years and that means equities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing