Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2018, 04:33 PM

3,672 posts, read 2,748,808 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
Does Trump want to oversee a 50% drop in the market? Do CEOs and corporate execs want to see Democracts win back the Presidency and taxes raised out the gazoo. I think not.
I understand your thought process, but...

There is nothing Trump can do about it other than maybe act like a respectable president and tone down the war talk. Trump can stimulate the economy with a surge in infrastructure funding, but that will just overheat the economy even more, driving up inflation and thus interest rates, making it even more attractive to move out of stocks. The CEOs don’t care as long as they get their fat paychecks. If their company’s stock value goes down but business is good they will simply do a stock buy back.

People don’t have as much power as you think they do. The market doesn’t care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2018, 04:38 PM

3,271 posts, read 2,187,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
In a way, I find him kind of amusing. Sort of like a guy in the park on a soapbox rambling on and on. And mothers walking by with their children pull them a bit closer as they pass.
Except for the fact that I was right and you're a *****. Keep losing money sucker.

Old 02-08-2018, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
End of America?? I don't know how to respond. Get real..
Global competition, my friend. The cost of labor is too high in America.

This means replacement of human labor capital with automation or through labor arbitrage in developing nations.

It's not going to happen tomorrow, but yes, this is the beginning of the end.

You tell me, when do you think money is going to come back?

It might be a DECADE of stagnation. This is serious. Growth is going to be in developing nations.

Old 02-08-2018, 04:42 PM
JRR

8,159 posts, read 5,651,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobster View Post
Except for the fact that I was right and you're a *****. Keep losing money sucker.
Thank you for making my point for me.

Old 02-08-2018, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
Thank you for making my point for me.
What, that you're losing money like a SUCKER!!!!!

LOL!!!!

Come see me.

Old 02-08-2018, 04:44 PM

Let’s keep this thread on topic please. Thanks.

Old 02-08-2018, 04:44 PM

106,579 posts, read 108,713,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobster View Post
The money we are down is about 1/3 the gains we had since the election .it is still moutains of money higher than cd's produced even losing 1/3 .

Keep laughing

Old 02-08-2018, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
The money we are down is about 1/3 the gains we had si ce the election .it is still moutains of money higher than your cd's produced .keep hanging in their withcyour cd's as your investments and we can compare again in a year
Please show me where I said I bought a CD.

You talking about a compact disc????

I have some of those.

Old 02-08-2018, 04:46 PM

17,563 posts, read 15,226,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyRUMad View Post
I understand your thought process, but...

There is nothing Trump can do about it other than maybe act like a respectable president and tone down the war talk. Trump can stimulate the economy with a surge in infrastructure funding, but that will just overheat the economy even more, driving up inflation and thus interest rates, making it even more attractive to move out of stocks. The CEOs don’t care as long as they get their fat paychecks. If their company’s stock value goes down but business is good they will simply do a stock buy back.

People don’t have as much power as you think they do. The market doesn’t care.
War is good for business in most cases. At least in the long run. Though, I won't disagree.. I think he and everyone else would be far better off if someone would take his Twitter away. I've got to believe that he's getting 10% lower approval ratings than he'd get if he'd lay off the Twitter.

Not looking at a middle eastern country, so no oil concerns.. Plus with all the US Oil now.. Even if it was.. well, no, oil prices would go nuts no matter what if it were a ME country.

The '08-'09 crisis remember you had bank and other failures coming out daily with that. Not seeing that now, and I don't think we will.. Other than.. I think you're going to see issues with some companies.. Sears, JC Penney.. Clear Channel (Or iHeartRadio or whatever they are now).. I could see this turning into something of a brick and mortar crash.. There's going to be some big name companies that are not going to survive.. But this has nothing to do with the stock market falling.. They might push it further down, but I can't see a whole lot. And those companies I mention are on their last legs anyway. Sears, especially.

I think this is people taking profits. Stepping back and taking a break.. Along with another set that's coming in trying to buy 'cheap'. And another set who are spooked that the world is coming to an end. There's a floor where those who are taking a break will jump back in and become the ones trying to buy cheap.

as I said.. Show me a 20-30 percent drop, and I might Chicken Little around with you. But at this point.. No real concerns.

Old 02-08-2018, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
The money we are down is about 1/3 the gains we had si ce the election .it is still moutains of money higher than your cd's produced .keep hanging in their withcyour cd's as your investments and we can compare again in a year
Hmm. I’d be concerned with you betting on your portfolio beating even a CD over the next year, but over the next ten years, I can almost guarantee you will be well ahead. I guess we will see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing