Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2018, 01:48 PM

3,271 posts, read 2,189,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
ever have anything positive to post ?
Yes. Did you know about this?

https://www.newscientist.com/article...spinal-injury/

"Fasting may boost recovery from spinal injury."

Fasting has been around for thousands of years and many have asserted its benefits throughout time, yet why is this not widespread medicine?

There is no profit in fasting. Likewise, it requires you to be off drugs, which will ruin the prescription drug industry. Do you see the weakness in such a system that seeks out profit? Once something has been determined a lie, it will continue to be a lie as long as it has enough funding to move forward and keep a lid on its competition.

I don't know the solution, but I do know that I'm not a fan of the infrastructure plan unless it came with an R&D package where you had some of the best scientists in the US come up with a sustainable infrastructure program that we could all agree to live with. That would be step one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2018, 03:49 PM

2,222 posts, read 2,345,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
ever have anything positive to post ?
I for one was heartfelt touched when he was able to invoke both Patriotism and Religion in the Timberrrr thread !
Timberrrr!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobster View Post
This behavior is pathetic. Why wish harm upon people? It does no good and doesn't make you feel good in the end. Why so such animosity? There are people who have pensions and other assets related to the stock market that depend on this for their well being. Do you understand that there still are some good people left in this world? Do you wish harm upon them? There are some people who would pick you up if they saw you, a stranger on the side of the road, and they would even take you in their house until you recovered, yet you wish ill will upon all? Even if you are not American, whatever nationally you are, I think the word of Jesus Christ is stronger than the word of any man. Don't believe me, read the Gospel and come back a changed person.
I had thought that he had come back as a born again investor but he is constantly beating the drum of reforming us of our wrongful investing ways and to follow him as the way, the truth, and the life.

Old 02-13-2018, 03:55 PM

106,671 posts, read 108,833,673 times
no thanks , i prefer to follow those who are successful financially . .

Old 02-13-2018, 05:28 PM

31,340 posts, read 14,265,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
I think there are people who have decent skin in the game, are in retirement, and manage to go about their lives without obsessing over the stock market or even looking at it more than quarterly at most. Maybe they've got other monies like a pension, or maybe they don't.

I just know such people exist and they are living life and they are role models I hope to emulate. IMO feeling the need to watch the market every day is not optimal living. It's a prison of a different kind, coming from a place of anxiety and perhaps some obsession mixed in (again, IMO). There's a reason Fidelity's investor study highlighted the best/most successful investors are the ones who are dead (or unconscious). One can say they are certainly not obsessing over the market. Now to remain ambulatory and fully engaged in life with no worrying about the market, that is a kind of nirvana.
That is interesting. My wife has had a Fidelity IRA account for a long time, probably 15 years. It had about $2,500 in it when she left a long-ago job. Never touched it after that and really never looked at the statements either. Then recently she rolled over her IRA from her current job into the account. In 15 years of having the exact same fund - I believe it was Freedom 2030 - the balance grew to about $6,000. So there is something to be said for passive investing.

Old 02-13-2018, 05:37 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,575,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
I think there are people who have decent skin in the game, are in retirement, and manage to go about their lives without obsessing over the stock market or even looking at it more than quarterly at most.
*raises hand *

I know exactly how much we had about January 4 because did annual rebalance after selling some to fund 2018 expenses, but probably won't look again until mid-year. I checked it more often for about two years after retiring but not so much anymore.

Bottom line we're currently at a SWR of under 3% from our IPV and had a lot more in January than when we retired so I have trouble generating too much angst.

Old 02-13-2018, 05:40 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,575,805 times
Bah the market will only go up

Old 02-13-2018, 05:51 PM

31,340 posts, read 14,265,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Bah the market will only go up
LOL that is awesome

Old 02-13-2018, 06:14 PM

50,288 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Straight down. I suggest you sell everything so I can pick up some more cheap options. Thanks in advance.

Signed,

Not retiring for some time.

Old 02-13-2018, 06:16 PM

18,081 posts, read 15,670,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
*raises hand *

I know exactly how much we had about January 4 because did annual rebalance after selling some to fund 2018 expenses, but probably won't look again until mid-year.
You are one to emulate!

If following the stock market hour by hour and posting scores of times a day isn't obsessive, I don't know what obsession would look like then.

All I know is I aspire to have the kind of freedom as demonstrated by you and some others...freedom from thinking about the market beyond needing to take expenses for the year, rebalance once a year, or make specific fund changes as needed. If all the yammering about hands-off, and not trying to time things and not trying to prepare for the next correction has any merit, then practicing exactly that is living the life.

Old 02-13-2018, 06:25 PM

18,081 posts, read 15,670,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
That is interesting. My wife has had a Fidelity IRA account for a long time, probably 15 years. It had about $2,500 in it when she left a long-ago job. Never touched it after that and really never looked at the statements either. Then recently she rolled over her IRA from her current job into the account. In 15 years of having the exact same fund - I believe it was Freedom 2030 - the balance grew to about $6,000. So there is something to be said for passive investing.
That was me during a chunk of years. Setup my contributions from payroll, saved on top of that, increased my contributions each year and that was it. There is a certain kind of freedom in practicing good investor behaviors and then living life and letting compounding do its thing over time. I couldn't tell you how much my investments went down in 2008/09 because I just didn't look. Didn't open the statements, didn't look online, wasn't about to withdraw the monies, and I was a happier person for it, I think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing