Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2018, 03:35 PM
JRR

8,159 posts, read 5,653,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Kind Of Town View Post
You’ve got a ways to go before that order fills.
Yep. you're right on that; no pizza tonight. But this is a stock that only has about 75k average daily volume. If (and it is a big if) it starts up it can go a long way in a short time. All part of the game with a stock like this
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2018, 03:36 PM

16,269 posts, read 10,395,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
Roll the 401k to an IRA. The annuity would then be in the IRA. The other thing this does is you don't have to keep up with RMDs with an immediate annuity.
Thanks. I may tap you in private messages to learn more as I get closer, we're 6 years out now and I want to stay in the market. One thing I'm considering is using a portion of the funds from our house sale as we downsize and relocate.

Old 02-06-2018, 03:41 PM

25,577 posts, read 56,455,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Part of the CDO issue both CDOs and synthetic cdos was counterparty risk that same issue doesn’t exist within the leveraged ETF space
His point was unwinding the leverage would greatly accelerate a market downdraft - worse than 1929. Maybe a bit too hyperbolic - but it made a lot of sense to me. I think we saw some of that yesterday.

Old 02-06-2018, 03:50 PM

3,495 posts, read 2,181,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
Yep. you're right on that; no pizza tonight. But this is a stock that only has about 75k average daily volume. If (and it is a big if) it starts up it can go a long way in a short time. All part of the game with a stock like this
Gotcha, GL!

Old 02-06-2018, 03:52 PM

106,579 posts, read 108,739,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobster View Post
Today is going to be a bloodbath. XIV blew up.
really ? i guess it was if you were selling short betting on that prediction you made .

Old 02-06-2018, 04:10 PM

5,872 posts, read 8,091,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
The question was about ETFs but even with ETNs it’s nowhere near the CDO market. Most ETN prospectus I’ve read have a stop out of some sort potentially passing all the loses onto the note holders. I understand the risk of using leverage
XIV however which is an ETN, is a derivative of a derivative. And uses synthetics and swaps as a portion of their hedges. And when it's a leveraged product or as in this case a synthetic it COULD be as bad as the CDO's. Since they're debt instruments, they don't have to repay immediately and have other clauses. They can also call the issue, like a bond and it's done.

Old 02-06-2018, 04:31 PM

25,577 posts, read 56,455,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txgolfer130 View Post
XIV however which is an ETN, is a derivative of a derivative. And uses synthetics and swaps as a portion of their hedges. And when it's a leveraged product or as in this case a synthetic it COULD be as bad as the CDO's. Since they're debt instruments, they don't have to repay immediately and have other clauses. They can also call the issue, like a bond and it's done.
Geez.......a derivative of a derivative which uses synthetics and swaps and is leveraged. What could possibly go wrong?

I'll never forget 2008 and the worldwide debacle. Those products were so complicated very few understood them and most didn't know what they were buying. I do hear, however, the current products don't comprise a significantly large share of the market - so, possibly, the effect wouldn't be as widespread? Wouldn't bet on it. The word 'derivative' - rightly or wrongly - triggers all manner of bad memories.

Old 02-06-2018, 04:38 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,568,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txgolfer130 View Post
Do you have figures on how big the levered etf/etn market is now vs the cdo/synthetic cdo market was 07-08?

Old 02-06-2018, 04:43 PM

3,271 posts, read 2,187,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickofDiamonds View Post
Here's an interesting perspective !

Is the Plunge Protection Team Ready to Step In? If So, It's Unlikely They Will Be Able to Step Back Out!

https://econimica.blogspot.com/2018/...y-to-step.html

America "Needs" More Deficit Spending to Continue "Growing"...But Debt to GDP Needs Austerity to Avoid Disaster
https://econimica.blogspot.com/2018/...ending-to.html
IMO, this is all that matters.

Fundamentals are secondary to price. PPT determines price. Who knows what the "fair value" of the market is with a PPT injecting liquidity. I'm not sure why more people don't factor this in.

Old 02-06-2018, 04:47 PM

3,271 posts, read 2,187,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
and this is why you will never do well as an investor .

everything in your mind has a just wait until attached to it . there is always some reason . there is always an attached negative to acting ,

there is always going to be a now is not the time .
It's my belief that we value profit over the truth. I think that's a flaw in the system. For example, why isn't prolotherapy insured?

I can think of few reasons.

I feel like the main reason is because it is relatively inexpensive, few procedures are generally necessary, and it actually heals you. If you heal somebody, they won't need to pay you anymore because it will no longer be necessary.

A previous Surgeon General, that I can say I am unfamiliar with, but on the surface, he seems to be legitimate and highly educated, graduating from universities that are generally perceived as being among the best. Koop is his last name. Anyway, he was a big advocate of prolotherapy, saying that he "changed many lives."

That's just one thing that the public doesn't know about, but I feel like they should. Prolotherapy is interesting because it is believed to be utilized centuries ago by the ancient Egyptians, at least in principle. Fasting is another technique that has been around for millenniums, yet we are just now discovering its healing abilities. My point is that these are ancient techniques, proven through time, and refined through modern technology and understanding, yet because they are not profitable, are relatively unknown.

Last edited by Jobster; 02-06-2018 at 05:41 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing