Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2018, 05:11 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,583,182 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjohnohara View Post
This triple leveraged fund, despite what you've read, can be held for longer durations (than, say, a day trade or swing trade)......provided.....you're holding during a flat to uptrend rise like we've had last six years. You will, 100% of the time, go up more than 3X the QQQ underlying index.

However, if you hold for these longer lengths during a prolonged downturn, you will 100% of the time do worse than the 3X negative performance of the underlying index. This is due to decay, and the need for the issuer to constantly add more leverage (money) during a prolonged downturn, and less added leverage (or none) during a flat or uptrend market.

As the OP seems new to investing, I would recommend just the straight QQQs. I make a ton of money each year with the TQQQ, just couldn't help sharing here.

This is completely false. You don’t understand how it operates if you make this statement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2018, 05:28 PM

34 posts, read 27,405 times
Lowexpectations....sorry, what was I thinking...I reworded my post as you are correct one won't make 3X or better than 3X the index, the longer they hold. However, when holding during an uptrend, the TQQQ will always perform better than the QQQ.

Old 03-05-2018, 05:40 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,865,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
I still see Facebook as the next myspace, but who knows.
The myspace founder is my next door neighbor. He's done alright.

Old 03-05-2018, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjohnohara View Post
Lowexpectations....sorry, what was I thinking...I reworded my post as you are correct one won't make 3X or better than 3X the index, the longer they hold. However, when holding during an uptrend, the TQQQ will always perform better than the QQQ.
This is still false. It depends entirely on the daily fluctuations the index makes as the Daily reset can be crushing. The wider the daily moves the worse the impact. You can have a general uptrend and still lose tqqq vs qqq

Old 03-05-2018, 09:18 PM

6,721 posts, read 6,481,316 times
The TQQQ vs. QQQ chart looks pretty compelling. What's the catch?

https://www.google.com/search?tbm=fi...&wptab=COMPARE

Old 03-06-2018, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
The TQQQ vs. QQQ chart looks pretty compelling. What's the catch?

https://www.google.com/search?tbm=fi...&wptab=COMPARE
TQQQ attempts to return 3x the Nasdaq 100 daily. Everyday the fund resets to try and produce 3x the index return the following day. You have to understand what the daily reset will do to your potential returns over time. Your returns could exceeds 3x the index or you could lose more than 3x what the index does because the product is reset daily. When everything is going up it looks great
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing