Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2018, 10:28 AM

2,009 posts, read 1,207,993 times

Advertisements

Do you guys really make your investment decisions on what the market does on a day to day business? That seems like such a painful and almost impossible long term investment strategy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2018, 11:32 AM

7,899 posts, read 7,108,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FREE866 View Post
Do you guys really make your investment decisions on what the market does on a day to day business? That seems like such a painful and almost impossible long term investment strategy!

Traders and speculators watch and attempt to predict markets. Almost by definition, an investor looks for long term returns and tries to avoid reacting to short term volatility. There is an issue with investors who closely follow the markets. It can become hard not to react to the short term volatility. Watching the markets can intensify concerns and worries. Many otherwise sound investors react by moving to a more conservative position which leads to lower returns. I know for sure I fight those tendencies and life as an investor is easier if I do not follow the markets.

Old 03-13-2018, 11:39 AM

18,042 posts, read 15,639,191 times
Quote:
Watching the markets can intensify concerns and worries. Many otherwise sound investors react by moving to a more conservative position which leads to lower returns. I know for sure I fight those tendencies and life as an investor is easier if I do not follow the markets.

Wise words, those.

Old 03-13-2018, 12:20 PM

10,006 posts, read 11,151,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
Traders and speculators watch and attempt to predict markets. Almost by definition, an investor looks for long term returns and tries to avoid reacting to short term volatility. There is an issue with investors who closely follow the markets. It can become hard not to react to the short term volatility. Watching the markets can intensify concerns and worries. Many otherwise sound investors react by moving to a more conservative position which leads to lower returns. I know for sure I fight those tendencies and life as an investor is easier if I do not follow the markets.
Yep..when you start chasing the ups and downs you are in for 2 things... loss of money..and insanity. Not worth it. Stay in a smart , diverse fund mix and let it ride till you retire or need it.

Here is an example..ok , market drops so investor moves conservative. That's fine, now things get better...when does he/she make the leap back? Wait one more week? One more day? Uh oh it went down again ..should i stay out? Yikes.

Old 03-13-2018, 12:29 PM

18,042 posts, read 15,639,191 times
We've seen people who self-describe as investors commenting every day and every night about move of the stock market, especially futures, like they are watching the ball in a tennis match. That's a sign of deep anxiety and either not having a plan, not having the right plan, or not able to sustain a plan.

Old 03-13-2018, 12:37 PM

106,568 posts, read 108,713,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Yep..when you start chasing the ups and downs you are in for 2 things... loss of money..and insanity. Not worth it. Stay in a smart , diverse fund mix and let it ride till you retire or need it.

Here is an example..ok , market drops so investor moves conservative. That's fine, now things get better...when does he/she make the leap back? Wait one more week? One more day? Uh oh it went down again ..should i stay out? Yikes.
jrk did not say anything about going back to a more aggressive model . he just said if you are a worrier a more conservative model will help .

other wise i use comfort as my guide as to when to pull back or go more aggressive , you just risk being wrong , but i wouldn't recommend big moves .

my comfort range is 40-50% equities . if i cut back , which i did pre dip , i was uncomfortable with it raining money every day and the leverage out there so i cut back to 40% . i waited until we dipped and moved back up . if i was wrong the difference would have been small , and if i am right i will pick up a bit of alpha but either way no biggie.

in this case i did pick up an extra few thousand dollars but either way no big deal . it is when you really go for big differences in or out that the risk gets pretty high you will either hit it big or miss big .

Old 03-13-2018, 12:41 PM

6,627 posts, read 4,289,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post

Wise words, those.
Depends on the investment time horizon. If you're going to need the money in the next couple of years, you shouldn't be in stocks.

Old 03-13-2018, 12:41 PM

2,009 posts, read 1,207,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post

Yep. It's an impossible game.

As the saying goes it's about time IN the market, not timing the market. I know some people that are in the finance business for decades and still can't grasp that. It's always about " what about this, what about that, blah, blah blah blah"...

Old 03-13-2018, 12:44 PM

106,568 posts, read 108,713,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
Depends on the investment time horizon. If you're going to need the money in the next couple of years, you shouldn't be in stocks.
well being in stocks is okay but you have to watch the level of equities and the type . i have money i will use starting next year out to 7 to 10 years in an income model portfolio . but it is only 25% in a dividend equity fund . its runs almost 70-75% less volatile than the s&p 500.

it has always worked great as a proxy for just bonds and cash with much better long term returns ..

Old 03-13-2018, 12:54 PM

10,006 posts, read 11,151,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
jrk did not say anything about going back to a more aggressive model . he just said if you are a worrier a more conservative model will help .

other wise i use comfort as my guide as to when to pull back or go more aggressive , you just risk being wrong , but i wouldn't recommend big moves .

my comfort range is 40-50% equities . if i cut back , which i did pre dip , i was uncomfortable with it raining money every day and the leverage out there so i cut back to 40% . i waited until we dipped and moved back up . if i was wrong the difference would have been small , and if i am right i will pick up a bit of alpha but either way no biggie.

in this case i did pick up an extra few thousand dollars but either way no big deal . it is when you really go for big differences in or out that the risk gets pretty high you will either hit it big or miss big .
I was just making a general statement really...nothing direct at him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing