Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2018, 03:12 PM

87 posts, read 37,314 times

Advertisements

Hi!

Support and resistance levels are very dynamic and, to newbies like me, oftentimes, they are not easily recognizable.

How would I use SMAs to help me identify S&R levels? With what settings?

Thank you!

Doctor T
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2018, 07:15 PM

5,872 posts, read 8,090,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorTR View Post
Hi!

Support and resistance levels are very dynamic and, to newbies like me, oftentimes, they are not easily recognizable.

How would I use SMAs to help me identify S&R levels? With what settings?

Thank you!

Doctor T
Timeframe. Acceptable risk levels. Overall strategy for trade.

Old 03-10-2018, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txgolfer130 View Post
Timeframe. Acceptable risk levels. Overall strategy for trade.
Dear TxGolfer130,

Thank you for your reply!

Let me clarify my query. Is there a way to use SMAs to actually draw straight S&R lines?

Doctor T

Old 03-10-2018, 07:30 AM

3,271 posts, read 2,187,634 times
You need to read some books to form an opinion. I wouldn't listen to some random thoughts on city data forum. Look at what long term professionals use. Try to find literature that is written by professionals in the field or academics, but when you're reading academic books, particularly studies involving statistics, it is really imperative that you pay attention to the environment in which the study was conducted. This might help you get on the right track.

I wouldn't rely on other people to tell you what their strategy is if it consistently works, unless of course it's a programmer, bragging about how sophisticated their system is, but even then, they won't go into detail about their signaling mechanisms. It might help also to go to forums that are dedicated towards behavioral science techniques.

Old 03-10-2018, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Dear TxGolfer130,

Let me clarify my query. Is there a way to use SMAs to actually draw straight S&R lines?

Doctor T
Short answer: No. Not over short term intervals.

Old 03-10-2018, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobster View Post
You need to read ...
Dear Jobster,

I've already bought about a dozen books on options trading and technical analysis.

Next, I'll browse peer-reviewed articles, master theses, and doctoral dissertations available from EBSCO and ProQuest.

Finally, I wouldn't start trading till I've backtested whatever strategy I develop. If I make money in 2 out 3 trades, I'll start trading.

On the other hand, here in this forum, I've received very useful advice from participants such as TxGolfer130.

Doctor T

Old 03-10-2018, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txgolfer130 View Post
Short answer: No. ...
Dear TxGolfer130,

What about using Price Channels?

Doctor T

Old 03-10-2018, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Dear TxGolfer130,

What about using Price Channels?

Doctor T
Price channels in general can help, but you should be able to pick S&R from the chart. It's pretty simple, time frame. High/low over the similar time frame (all macro factors considered). VOL over that time frame. Your deltas over that time frame. Price reaction & strike volume (OBV) during the time frame. How expensive/cheap are the options OVER THAT TIME FRAME.

Get the recurring indicator?

Old 03-11-2018, 07:04 AM

3,271 posts, read 2,187,634 times
Quote:
Dear Jobster,

I've already bought about a dozen books on options trading and technical analysis.

Next, I'll browse peer-reviewed articles, master theses, and doctoral dissertations available from EBSCO and ProQuest.

Finally, I wouldn't start trading till I've backtested whatever strategy I develop. If I make money in 2 out 3 trades, I'll start trading.

On the other hand, here in this forum, I've received very useful advice from participants such as TxGolfer130.

Doctor T
The key is that there are trading range markets and trending markets. Decide when to use what indicator based on this.

Well, you already know that none of this is an exact science. What makes it even more difficult to use is that there are idiosyncratic events that can affect an individual security that your TA will not account for, like earnings, scandals, etc.

If you want to trade using technical indicators, you should consider looking at FOREX. It's a much more liquid market too.

Old 03-12-2018, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobster View Post
... trading range markets and trending markets ...
Dear Jobster,

As a newbie, I think trending markets ought to be my first choice. Do you agree?

Re FOREX, my knowledge of currencies is very limited.

Doctor t
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing