Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2018, 08:25 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
I have a ring doorbell and do not have a cloud subscription. I can add it if I want but it’s not mandatory
can you view it on a PC? i am very happy with my kunas and plan to add a few more cameras but one thing that i would like is to be able to watch it on a pc and not just a phone or tablet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2018, 09:36 AM

8,712 posts, read 6,762,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
That's fine. Why do you care if I pay my bills by check? I don't care if you and 80% of the rest of the world pays electronically. It's called freedom, and we still have it in the good old USA.
Rah, rah.

Actually, we don't care. We don't even care that we don't care.

But I believe you're the one who made an issue of it in the first place. If you think it's easier and safer, power to you. But if you're going to argue the advantages in public... you just might get some, well, argument.

Old 03-23-2018, 11:31 AM

18,088 posts, read 15,670,593 times
I have my own IP network cams, which are not attached to the cloud or on anyone else's platform but my own LAN. I can view them on a web browser or through my smart phone, even when I'm not at home. Technology is my friend, and I love it.

Old 03-23-2018, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
I have my own IP network cams, which are not attached to the cloud or on anyone else's platform but my own LAN. I can view them on a web browser or through my smart phone, even when I'm not at home. Technology is my friend, and I love it.
I think you don't quite understand technology, here.

You do realize that although "the cameras are on your own LAN" there is no way for you to view them remotely without their being accessible to "the cloud"? The best case here would be using a high-security VPN, but I suspect you're using commercial relay/access software... which is probably nowhere near as secure as you seem to think.

If it's connected to the internet via a piece of wet string... it's exposed/hackable. Vastly more so if any consumer-grade commercial software is in the chain.

Old 03-23-2018, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
I think you don't quite understand technology, here.
I assure you I do understand technology.

I use VPN on my LAN as well as on my phone. I don't use someone else's platform, I use my own network for these cams.

Old 03-23-2018, 12:08 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
No, online bill does not make life easier. And you can't argue the point (although I know you'll try), that I am at much less risk of identity theft by not paying bills on line. The less you do on line with money moving around, the less chance you have of getting your accounts hacked.

FACT.
Lol, what you are doing does not protect you any better from ID theft, it actually exposes you more to it. The paper transaction you send in still gets inputted into the electronic systems the entities use, and it is these systems that are the ones that get hacked, not your individual transaction. You also expose yourself to a higher risk of ID theft because instead of using a secure online system, you use paper in which anyone handling it can take the information, and even better, more difficult to trace who did it unlike electronic hacks which leave a digital footprint.

Old 03-23-2018, 12:08 PM

Quote:
I assure you I do understand technology.

I use VPN on my LAN as well as on my phone. I don't use someone else's platform, I use my own network for these cams.
All the way to your remote browsers and smartphone? Which wireless carrier do you own?

Or can you only view the cams within the range of your wifi network... which is again a security hole from some perspectives?

Or do you wire your smartphone to the network to use it for this?

Old 03-23-2018, 12:34 PM

Quote:
All the way to your remote browsers and smartphone? Which wireless carrier do you own?

Or can you only view the cams within the range of your wifi network... which is again a security hole from some perspectives?

Or do you wire your smartphone to the network to use it for this?
I use my cell phone very rarely to view my cams and only use wifi (with vpn running) when I have used it, as I refuse to use carrier data, which I limit. I use my laptop and always keep a vpn connection running whether at home or somewhere else.

My network at home has a firewall and VPN, always on. You can argue network and server security all you want, but that's another subject.

The point is: I'm not using a commercial platform (like Amazon) to host my cams.

Old 03-23-2018, 12:38 PM

Quote:
I use my cell phone very rarely to view my cams and only use wifi (with vpn running) when I have used it, as I refuse to use carrier data, which I limit. I use my laptop and always keep a vpn connection running whether at home or somewhere else.

My network at home has a firewall and VPN, always on. You can argue network and server security all you want, but that's another subject.

The point is: I'm not using a commercial platform (like Amazon) to host my cams.
Okay. I am not arguing, I am just not sure we're talking about the same thing.

Do you access the cameras when you are away from home?

Old 03-26-2018, 08:32 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
Quote:
Okay. I am not arguing, I am just not sure we're talking about the same thing.

Do you access the cameras when you are away from home?
i have a completely closed in house network and it's watched 24/7 in my house by a couple of guys. they rotate throughout the day, one watches while the other drives to me and tells me exactly what he sees. if somehow either one of them is captured en route to me, they have a concealed cyanide capsule that they will take during the capture. if they arent able either physically or mentally to go through with the cyanide suicide, i have a button that will activate a device attached to their hearts that will electrocute them to death. i feel this is the only way i can keep video of my driveway and other access points truly secure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing