Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2018, 10:36 AM

3,139 posts, read 1,594,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
There is almost 800 billion dollars in new treasury supply.

https://www.breakingviews.com/consid...GjuQjw.twitter

It is spread out over six months and roughly matches the amount of debt issued in late January through March when the debt ceiling was raised. QE is running at about 55 to 95 billion dollars per month, probably enough to absorb the supply in Japan and Europe at the low end but still not enough to absorb the US supply at the higher end of the range. About a third of the debt has already been issued and been absorbed by the liquidity in the system without much impact. Last time this occurred, the market sold off before entering a period of favorable demand-supply where there was 90 billion dollars of debt being paid down by the Treasury and the stock market rallied.
In my opinion this is the iceberg along with stocks bought on margin and currency war with China.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2018, 01:11 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
Liquidity is the grease an economy runs on

I don't pretend to understand how so many interlocking factors play out in the real-world economies of the world but I know that there was plenty of mon in 2008--2009 but would I be correct to say there was little. ""Liquidity" which compounded the RE bubble bursting and Lehman's crashing and other negatives in the economy??

Old 10-09-2018, 06:23 AM

margin account balances

Margin Statistics | FINRA.org

Old 10-09-2018, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddie104 View Post
margin account balances

Margin Statistics | FINRA.org
Doesn't look good to me
We never use margin but we are very conservative

This is how I understood part of the impetus for the the 08-09 crash was triggered to grow and grow
People had to sell and sell from what I understood to meet margin calls
And not just people but institutions and funds had people pulling their interests and had to sell to meet those demands...
Like watching a the ball in the Mousetrap game...
The more equity shares and bond shares went into the market w/o having anyone willing to buy, the lower the price point

Am I wrong in making that statement?
Super influx of selling was stronger than any desire to buy because people anticipated lower prices yet...

Old 10-09-2018, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Doesn't look good to me
We never use margin but we are very conservative

This is how I understood part of the impetus for the the 08-09 crash was triggered to grow and grow
People had to sell and sell from what I understood to meet margin calls
And not just people but institutions and funds had people pulling their interests and had to sell to meet those demands...
Like watching a the ball in the Mousetrap game...
The more equity shares and bond shares went into the market w/o having anyone willing to buy, the lower the price point

Am I wrong in making that statement?
Super influx of selling was stronger than any desire to buy because people anticipated lower prices yet...
THe impetus for the 08-09 crash was mortgage backed securities which is another topic. If you haven't already, watch the movie, The Big Short, which I found enlightening.

However, the stock market selling was exacerbated by margin calls and margin balances are at record levels. Interest rates on margin loans can increase in relation to the federal funds rate. These factors heighten risk; so long as the market keeps rising no problem but the downside risk is magnified in relation to stock bought on margin due to forced selling in a down market.

Old 10-09-2018, 08:40 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,562,088 times
Foreign demand drying up

Quote:
Europeans and Japanese pay to hold cash or own 10-year German government bonds, which means that every pension fund and insurer will fold in a finite time horizon. They responded by exporting more, saving more, and buying American assets that still pay a positive, if low, real yield.

Hedging the foreign exchange risk in this half-trillion-dollar per year business has exhausted the balance sheet of the global banking system. That explains a large part of the jump in the US 10-year note yield to 3.2% last Friday from 2.85% in early September. Hedging the foreign exchange risk in these massive flows created a derivatives mountain, and it has started to spew smoke and lava.
Has the derivatives volcano already begun to erupt? | Asia Times

Old 10-09-2018, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddie104 View Post
THe impetus for the 08-09 crash was mortgage backed securities which is another topic. If you haven't already, watch the movie, The Big Short, which I found enlightening.

However, the stock market selling was exacerbated by margin calls and margin balances are at record levels. Interest rates on margin loans can increase in relation to the federal funds rate. These factors heighten risk; so long as the market keeps rising no problem but the downside risk is magnified in relation to stock bought on margin due to forced selling in a down market.
Yes--I saw "The Big Short" (and rest most of the book) and also saw/liked "Margin Call" which I thought was really better in some ways--not as confusing for one thing to many viewers...
Kevin Spacey was good and as sympathetic as someone doing what he did could be---
Especially Jeremy Irons in role similar to what Jaime Dimon's would be

And yes--I know that mortgage backed securities (without really any security value and highly inflated mortgages value) were the root cause--but the forced and fevered selling of shares created a domino effect

Am I correct in thinking that the margin balance total are about 3X what the positive/offsetting amounts are?

Old 10-09-2018, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post

Bad weather in my area is making my wi-fi problamatic (thanks ATT)
Took while to get through that article--

So if foreign banks and investors can't profitably buy Treasuries, and the Fed is selling what they bought during QE periods--but Munchin is having to print more to keep up with the trillion dollar debt--what is the most likely real world effect?
Is it really likely that rates would go UP if there are fewer buyers?

Old 10-09-2018, 12:55 PM

And the chart that shows the imbalance of trade w/the US I find confusing to some extent
S Korea I would think would be on positive side w/all the electronic exports but guess the stronger economy creates a demand for US goods...
Does it make sense to think that international fund that is oriented to the countries in the more negative range would be more vulnerable than one that is more focused on a single country--
Like India or Mexico--especially now that the new NAFTA has been done--

We have global REIT that has not done particularly well which I think we should sell and perhaps lighten our International fund...

Old 10-10-2018, 12:19 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,562,088 times
I see today the breakdown of the channel at 2863 occurred that will lead to correcting most or all of the rally since March. Here is another perspective.

https://www.seeitmarket.com/how-low-...-update-18507/

The market has swiftly fallen to the 2820 area where the March-April trendline is currently placed. I'm not sure if it has much validity since the market has never come close to it since.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing