Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2018, 03:12 PM

5,872 posts, read 8,074,793 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
I don't seem to have a problem then. As soon as my SELL order is confirmed executed my sales proceeds become immediately available for trading on new securities.

I don't have any settlement lock out when I sell. They settle it as soon as it executes. There are some behind the scenes signs that it's not totally settled but they do let me trade with the money. The behind the scenes part limits me to 2-3 days in moving the money back to my checking or money market account.
I think someone mentions this, but you need to be very careful even with a cash account. You have funds available to trade, but they are not settled funds if you're in a cash account. You have access to the proceeds, but you will need to hold whatever you buy until the proceeds of the previous sell settle before selling that newly bought security. That "behind the scenes" stuff...is called settlement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2018, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22003yo View Post
Look up free rides, if you keep trading with unsettled funds they would restrict your account
Agree, they need to be careful. But they will restrict ONLY if they sell what they bought with the un-settled funds before those funds settle.

Old 11-21-2018, 03:20 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,040,746 times
Anything related to options, margins, etc. is grayed out in my account.

Old 11-22-2018, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
Anything related to options, margins, etc. is grayed out in my account.
That is good, but doesn't mean you won't get a restriction/violation if you violate the good faith rule.

Old 11-22-2018, 10:00 PM

7,826 posts, read 11,744,449 times
one analysis that the stock crash is starting...

Old 11-22-2018, 10:13 PM

24,350 posts, read 26,804,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
one analysis that the stock crash is starting...

That same guy said there would be a BIG BREAKOUT for bitcoin 2 weeks ago... it’s been crashing

Old 11-23-2018, 06:50 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,654,148 times
What he says the "market is telling us" is all """old news"""

All the market needs is a reason to justify people buying vs selling...

When he discounts the "nice upward trend" he discounts the lower moves that happened as part of the upward trend...
Saying the "sellers are in control of the market" is self-evident but what was the volume?
Pretty low from what I understand on lot of days when there was selling...

Note that lot of the negative happened after 3 factors occurred
The Fed began raising rates
The Fed began unraveling QE I and II
Trump's tariffs/trade wars got really serious

The upswing also took the new tax policies into account--that euphoria is wearing off because we have seen that companies did not use the benefit of the tax bill to actually "grow" -- as the GOP promised would happen--
No overall large scale wage enhancements--not big capital expenditures coming out of the tax reduction for corporations

If the GOP and the Dems can actually work together to put a bill before Trump that puts money into the economy for infrastructure improvement (even with adding to the debt) then likely that will be viewed as a positive
If Trump and his "advisors" can calm the China tariff policies that are having a huge detrimental impact on not just farmers but businesses small and large--then that is another reason for positive outlook...

Lot of what is happening is because the ETFs are driving lot of the selling with their algorhythims
The rise of the ETFs leverage is something that has been discussed/written about--
Much more volatile trading effect from what I understand---
Maybe not such a good thing...

Old 11-23-2018, 07:25 AM

7,826 posts, read 11,744,449 times
The participants in the market realize it's a math problem.. we can't raise rates at the current pace without it having big impacts. Powell has already said he could care less about the stock market.

Old 11-23-2018, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
The participants in the market realize it's a math problem.. we can't raise rates at the current pace without it having big impacts. Powell has already said he could care less about the stock market.
Because the markets are not the economy.

Old 11-23-2018, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Lot of what is happening is because the ETFs are driving lot of the selling with their algorhythims
The rise of the ETFs leverage is something that has been discussed/written about--
Much more volatile trading effect from what I understand---
Maybe not such a good thing...
But do you understand why the volatility is being created with the ETF action? This can be a great opportunity if you have the risk tolerance & knowledge to participate in that market action.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing