Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2018, 02:21 PM

13,579 posts, read 9,601,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
So what is reason for the DAX's retrenching?

Germany isn't impacted by the Chinese tariffs like our economy==which some view as the reason for much of our retrenchment...
Another insightful question. I've been for decades a firm believer - nay, an effusive booster - for Germany, German stocks, the German economy and the German approach to modern life (this, coming from a person who lost what would have been a substantial part of his family, to German activities 75 years ago). Yet the DAX has been a perennial laggard. Keep in mind also that the DAX includes dividends... so a graph of where the DAX has been over some number of years, includes assumed reinvestment of dividends. By that measure, it has been a shocking laggard.

Think about it... the one major Western country that has aptly and skillfully navigated globalization, labor relations, environmental regulation, urban-suburban-rural issues,... the one major Western economy that is unafraid of China as an export-power, and which offers its working-class a dignified and reasonable remunerative path through life... nevertheless has been trounced in comparison by American stocks, and is nowise a leader even Europe-wide. Is there some subtle secret here? The DAX "should" be trading at 30,000. And where is it instead?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2018, 02:42 PM

806 posts, read 599,470 times
Nice reversal today. If $VIX gets under 19 we still might get a nice bounce into end of year now. Nice to see some buyers step up finally and save the day.

Old 12-06-2018, 03:29 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,490,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
So what is reason for the DAX's retrenching?

Germany isn't impacted by the Chinese tariffs like our economy==which some view as the reason for much of our retrenchment...
They're impacted by reduced liquidity from the European Central Bank. The debt purchases have been coming down all year and will end this month. Their market has been in a slow steady downtrend.

The market has had a big bounce inside that rectangle that's boxed in the S&P 500 since January. It hit the lower parallel line this morning.

Old 12-06-2018, 05:48 PM

25,597 posts, read 56,285,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
Think about it... the one major Western country that has aptly and skillfully navigated globalization, labor relations, environmental regulation, urban-suburban-rural issues,... the one major Western economy that is unafraid of China as an export-power, and which offers its working-class a dignified and reasonable remunerative path through life... nevertheless has been trounced in comparison by American stocks, and is nowise a leader even Europe-wide. Is there some subtle secret here? The DAX "should" be trading at 30,000. And where is it instead?
Too much welfare, some would say. I agree with you, a lot to admire about the Germans - but as the saying goes, nice guys finish last. Ruthless, cutthroat exploitation and corporate welfare is clearly the winner.

Old 12-06-2018, 06:55 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,557,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
They're impacted by reduced liquidity from the European Central Bank. The debt purchases have been coming down all year and will end this month. Their market has been in a slow steady downtrend.

The market has had a big bounce inside that rectangle that's boxed in the S&P 500 since January. It hit the lower parallel line this morning.
I appreciate your not making any political assessment
And I remember now that I see your response you referenced the liquidity issue before (as I have although not from a very insightful assessment)...

What about German bonds then?
If their equities are going down, are their bonds any type of safety reserve?
Where would Germans go to get relief from a steep downturn--or do Germans not invest in their market like the US workers do with 401Ks?

What country in the global economy IS having a decent year?
Brazil has come back somewhat I think---

Old 12-10-2018, 01:29 PM

806 posts, read 599,470 times
We seem to be in a range of SPX 2600 and 2700-2750 now? I am staying long into Fed meeting now.

Old 12-10-2018, 03:20 PM

7,826 posts, read 11,726,444 times
MASSIVE rally coming in tomorrow, hope you guys bought the dip!!

Old 12-10-2018, 09:29 PM

25,597 posts, read 56,285,730 times
He says, tongue in cheek. Right now, futures are down....

https://www.cnbc.com/

Old 12-10-2018, 09:42 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,191,659 times
futures down again!

Old 12-11-2018, 10:14 AM

7,826 posts, read 11,726,444 times
well, I was right except for the MASSIVE part
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing