Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2019, 07:42 AM

790 posts, read 500,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Just for information and if you don’t want to say that is totally fine
How much did it cost you to place the calls?
What is the potential loss you might have to take and potential profit you envision?
Schwab charges $4.95+ 65c per contract so to sell 20 contracts would cost $17.95. When you're selling calls against an existing position you cannot lose real dollars, what you lose is potential gains if the underlying security appreciates more than the total of the strike price plus premium received for selling calls before the expiration date. However, if that should occur you can rollout the options to a higher strike price and future expiration date to capture more potential appreciation. Your maximum profit is limited to the premium collected for selling the options plus any gain between the price of the underlying security and the strike price of the option (if it is out of the money).

Last edited by Richard818; 02-27-2019 at 07:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2019, 08:02 AM

4,523 posts, read 6,764,164 times
I am essentially a value investor in established companies with a sound dividend. I use the dividends to buy additional shares. I use technical patterns to look for good entry points and opportunities to add to a position. It has worked for me over time but is not a get rich quick method for those looking to score big. In my opinion that is speculation. In the past I had used technical analysis to make some quick gains in up markets with growth stocks. However, the sword is sharp and can be quite punishing. I tracked my trades and found for me it was far better to use my value method. Fund managers do a lot of predictably unpredictable things around the end of the quarter. It's not easy to get ahead of their moves down.

Old 02-27-2019, 08:46 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,675,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard818 View Post
Schwab charges $4.95+ 65c per contract so to sell 20 contracts would cost $17.95. When you're selling calls against an existing position you cannot lose real dollars, what you lose is potential gains if the underlying security appreciates more than the total of the strike price plus premium received for selling calls before the expiration date. However, if that should occur you can rollout the options to a higher strike price and future expiration date to capture more potential appreciation. Your maximum profit is limited to the premium collected for selling the options plus any gain between the price of the underlying security and the strike price of the option (if it is out of the money).
So you do this on your own

Any idea what the process would be if someone with AUM decided on this strategy and used the investment advisor they are already paying fees to
Supposedly we are not paying charges for buying/selling shares in our mutual funds/ETFs or bond funds

Old 02-27-2019, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
So you do this on your own

Any idea what the process would be if someone with AUM decided on this strategy and used the investment advisor they are already paying fees to
Supposedly we are not paying charges for buying/selling shares in our mutual funds/ETFs or bond funds
I cannot comment on that.

Old 02-27-2019, 09:39 AM

7,389 posts, read 4,616,022 times
Just sharing.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/he...age-2019-02-26

Old 02-27-2019, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yippeekayay View Post
Memories of Dick Fabian's Telephone Switch Newsletter in the 70s.

Old 02-27-2019, 10:00 AM

106,202 posts, read 108,191,934 times
Quote:
Memories of Dick Fabian's Telephone Switch Newsletter in the 70s.
Yeah ,I rembrrchis newsletter ... you give up the 10% at the top and bottom and capture the 80% in the middle , using his moving average system ..

We know how well that worked, that is until it didn’t

Old 02-27-2019, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Yeah ,I rembrrchis newsletter ... you give up the 10% at the top and bottom and capture the 80% in the middle , using his moving average system ..

We know how well that worked, that is until it didn’t
Yup. His buy/sell signals were all dependent on the 200ma. As a young man in my early 20s it was my first exposure to any type of technical analysis.

Old 02-27-2019, 08:38 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,675,006 times
s this perfect? No. It will make you miss opportunities and occasionally keep you in the market through a quickly developing plunge. But it doesn’t have to be perfect to improve your results. It just has to be better than what you would do on your own.

That is the “disclaimer” that all registered advisors and boilerplate language require I guess

Old 02-27-2019, 08:42 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,519,156 times
Quote:
Yup. His buy/sell signals were all dependent on the 200ma. As a young man in my early 20s it was my first exposure to any type of technical analysis.
I think it was the crossing of the fast 13-week moving average versus the slow 39-week moving average.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing