Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2018, 04:06 PM

6,620 posts, read 4,261,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
Today's drop was the biggest in 6 weeks.
This could be a precursor of things to come. I have examined our retirement needs and lightened up our equity allocation. Not timing just making a permanent shift. I'm pretty confident we are more close than not to a major market decline. Things are going on in our country right now that could be quite bad for the market. Market risks outweigh potential returns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2018, 04:20 PM

16,221 posts, read 10,361,005 times
Quote:
Where are the "THANK YOU MR PRESIDENT FOR THIS GREAT STOCK MARKET" posts?

Those seemed to disappear.

You don't like tariffs? Wall St. sure doesn't.
Yeah I am quite involved in that discussion on the Politics board.

Old 03-22-2018, 04:35 PM

25,597 posts, read 56,412,367 times
Default McMaster is definitely out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
This could be a precursor of things to come. I have examined our retirement needs and lightened up our equity allocation. Not timing just making a permanent shift. I'm pretty confident we are more close than not to a major market decline. Things are going on in our country right now that could be quite bad for the market. Market risks outweigh potential returns.
Couldn't agree more. This doesn't help:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/22/u...gtype=Homepage

Old 03-22-2018, 04:51 PM

106,420 posts, read 108,488,784 times
If the markets love climbing a wall of worry we should do great. We sure got worries.

Old 03-22-2018, 05:10 PM

7,828 posts, read 11,767,780 times
futures are down for tomorrow as well... good luck, hope it isn't a bloodbath

btw, McMaster resigned as well... I have never seen anything quite like this administration ever. At least not in my lifetime.

Old 03-22-2018, 05:22 PM

2,805 posts, read 3,248,773 times
Quote:
Where are the "THANK YOU MR PRESIDENT FOR THIS GREAT STOCK MARKET" posts?

Those seemed to disappear.

You don't like tariffs? Wall St. sure doesn't.
Well, now you guys who hate him finally have a good reason to blame him for the bad market, before, it was just pure hate driven complaints.

I am in the Philippines with an often bad internet connection, so I mostly read and do not bother to post as much while here, I have enough other issues I am dealing with while here.

As for the market of late, OUCH! but I will survive and I am not pulling my money out, I would be putting more in and probably will but with a 12 hour time difference and a lousy connection, it sort of makes buying a pain.

Old 03-22-2018, 06:13 PM

7,633 posts, read 4,571,796 times
Relax, this is likely a shadow game. There's going to be a consultation period where people can say why a product shouldn't be subject to tariffs. K Street will take care of the rest.

Reagan started off protectionist actually. Japan was the terror of US jobs then. While his tariffs didn't last, they did help draw in Fujitsu and the automakers to start producing more in the US.

It's going to be hell to trade around with both the gas (infrastructure/tax breaks), and the brakes (tariffs/interest rates/central bank balance sheet) being hit at the same time. No doubt some participants will pee their pants and bow out, but this is a rough and tumble President...and if he CAN start restoring normalcy to the now chronic trade deficit, he's truly going to be a still despicable, but also great leader. Those monotonous jobs aren't coming back, but production could, and it will give Silicon Valley something constructive to automate other than cat videos. It doesn't work if the entire supply chain is elsewhere though.

If tariffs take hold, there's a chance that end of line pure domestic supply chains will do well. The obvious one is defense, but you may want to look at property management companies like RMR. Remember, to skirt around a tarriff, you need to locate in that country, so it may force investment here. Utilities will be hurt by interest rates, but I don't seeing those going to 5 any time in the near future, so those might not be bad plays in areas that are growing....and outside of litigious California. Your domestic trends are the millenials turning 30...so maybe there's a pop in home buying...so the real estate services might be good. Your other giant group, the boomers, are getting older, so don't bow out of healthcare/biotechs entirely.

Some of the blue chip companies the market has been hating lately are worth picking up. Just look at the balance sheets, and see if they look completely leveraged or if they're ok. Flip to the P&L, take their interest expense and add 20-30% on it. Can they still pay their dividend easily? Ok...might be dead money for a bit, but the yield on some of these is still higher than what a bond will give you, and one day the market will stop hating them.

Just remember, the US has outlasted so many empires that have fallen. Great Britain, Spain, Imperial Japan, Soviet Union etc. The game changes, but as long as there's freedom to change with it, there's money to be made. With an economy at full employment and a world economy that's getting close to firing on all cylinders, the President can afford to make some mistakes here. Besides, the world gave China its supply chain, China has just moved sharply to the far left and Xi is centralizing power while rapidly building military capability. It's time to call this the failure it is and to start moving what we can back.

Old 03-22-2018, 06:28 PM

6,620 posts, read 4,261,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post
Relax, this is likely a shadow game. There's going to be a consultation period where people can say why a product shouldn't be subject to tariffs. K Street will take care of the rest.

Reagan started off protectionist actually. Japan was the terror of US jobs then. While his tariffs didn't last, they did help draw in Fujitsu and the automakers to start producing more in the US.

It's going to be hell to trade around with both the gas (infrastructure/tax breaks), and the brakes (tariffs/interest rates/central bank balance sheet) being hit at the same time. No doubt some participants will pee their pants and bow out, but this is a rough and tumble President...and if he CAN start restoring normalcy to the now chronic trade deficit, he's truly going to be a still despicable, but also great leader. Those monotonous jobs aren't coming back, but production could, and it will give Silicon Valley something constructive to automate other than cat videos. It doesn't work if the entire supply chain is elsewhere though.

If tariffs take hold, there's a chance that end of line pure domestic supply chains will do well. The obvious one is defense, but you may want to look at property management companies like RMR. Remember, to skirt around a tarriff, you need to locate in that country, so it may force investment here. Utilities will be hurt by interest rates, but I don't seeing those going to 5 any time in the near future, so those might not be bad plays in areas that are growing....and outside of litigious California. Your domestic trends are the millenials turning 30...so maybe there's a pop in home buying...so the real estate services might be good. Your other giant group, the boomers, are getting older, so don't bow out of healthcare/biotechs entirely.

Some of the blue chip companies the market has been hating lately are worth picking up. Just look at the balance sheets, and see if they look completely leveraged or if they're ok. Flip to the P&L, take their interest expense and add 20-30% on it. Can they still pay their dividend easily? Ok...might be dead money for a bit, but the yield on some of these is still higher than what a bond will give you, and one day the market will stop hating them.

Just remember, the US has outlasted so many empires that have fallen. Great Britain, Spain, Imperial Japan, Soviet Union etc. The game changes, but as long as there's freedom to change with it, there's money to be made. With an economy at full employment and a world economy that's getting close to firing on all cylinders, the President can afford to make some mistakes here. Besides, the world gave China its supply chain, China has just moved sharply to the far left and Xi is centralizing power while rapidly building military capability. It's time to call this the failure it is and to start moving what we can back.
A great leader Too late for that!

Old 03-22-2018, 07:01 PM

7,828 posts, read 11,767,780 times
uh! this is just what we needed, immediate retaliation from China... sorry, but this is NOT how you start negotiations. Is this administration nuts?

markets will not like this tomorrow. Dow Futures are down -200 already.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/03/22/chin...to-target.html

Old 03-22-2018, 07:16 PM

1,998 posts, read 1,200,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
uh! this is just what we needed, immediate retaliation from China... sorry, but this is NOT how you start negotiations. Is this administration nuts?

markets will not like this tomorrow. Dow Futures are down -200 already.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/03/22/chin...to-target.html

Actually if you read Trumps Art of the Deal book this is EXACTLY how he always starts negotiations! He has done this already a few times in his term--“I will build a border wall and make Mexico pay for it” . Same thing with Obamacare " we will replace and repeal". Whatever results in this new trade threat will most likely result in a very watered down version. Even so, if China does "retaliate" their tariffs they apply would be 2-3% of total US exports. It's simply not that big!

This is what volatility looks like and why most people get distracted and buy and sell on emotion. If you're a long term investor this really is meaningless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing