Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2018, 07:53 AM

13,647 posts, read 9,708,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FREE866 View Post
I know you've been saying this often, so I backtested a portfolio of 50% large cap ( SPY) and 50% small cap ( IWM)

a $1,000,000 portfolio in 2000 would be worth inflation adjusted $1,800,000 in 2015

What say you?
I say that given the tumult and gyration of those 15 years, to have one's holdings less-than-double over 15 years, is a rather paltry showing. And keep in mind, that 2013 and 2014 were years of handsome gains in the markets, much augmenting the cumulative amount over those 15 years. exclude them, and suddenly the comparison is much worse.

And even that factor of 1.8 over 15 years looks a bit suspect to me (see below).

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
For me I will maintain a year's worth of living expenses in cash to draw from in a down market. If it is a prolonged down market I'll then tap my bond holdings. This should buy 4-5 years easily, plenty of time to see a recovery in the stock market.
That's good point. What if one holds 10 years' worth of expenses in a stable basket of funds? 100 years' worth of expenses? Ought one then to cease hand-wringing over stock market gyrations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FREE866 View Post
good Lord..you are wrong mathjak--can you just admit that??

a 50% large cap and 50% small cap portfolio went from $1,000,000 in 2000 to $1,800,000 INFLATION ADJUSTED

what aren't you getting?
I can't purport to speak for Mathjak, nor am I aiming to berate you, Free866... but are you sure that your numbers are inflation-adjusted? Over 15 years, inflation resulted in about 40% loss of purchasing-power. So, you're saying that your 50/50 mix went from $1M to $2.6M, in raw numerical dollars? Sorry, but I just don't see that.

Ultimately, I revert to something like Dave's point. To rephrase, we dearly wish to avoid spending-down from an account that's highly fluctuating, let alone declining. Bonds and CDs naturally ought to comprise the "spending account", but they themselves lag over long periods of time. A better scheme is warranted. Could that be the "Permanent Portfolio"? Maybe. Let's suppose so. But then, this Permanent Portfolio fits with the portion of one's investments, that one conceivably ever intends to spend. For money held in with infinite-duration intent, a higher weighting towards equities is more attractive - even if it does take 13 years to recover.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2018, 07:54 AM

106,653 posts, read 108,790,719 times
in the end it is only all about our personal choices and outcomes .

but in forums when we discuss outcomes and strategies there needs to be a uniform measure of comparisons .

nothing in the financial world would ever be true for everyone , so once we start trying to base statistics on individual outcomes there is no stat that ever would serve as a reference point nor guide .

if we went by personal outcomes we wouldn't need stocks based on 2000-2015 since long term treasuries beat the broad index's .

if you look at all those popular portfolio's on that website i posted they all use broad based index funds and generally either total market or s&p 500 as the core.

by the way the butterfly is 20% s&p 500 and 20% small cap so there are popular models that do that , and it had much smaller swings and less losing years than most similar conventional models.

so retirees do have an assortment of diversified all weather portfolio's that don't bet the ranch on just prosperity and low inflation /low rates

Old 08-01-2018, 07:58 AM

2,009 posts, read 1,211,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post

That's good point. What if one holds 10 years' worth of expenses in a stable basket of funds? 100 years' worth of expenses? Ought one then to cease hand-wringing over stock market gyrations?

I can't purport to speak for Mathjak, nor am I aiming to berate you, Free866... but are you sure that your numbers are inflation-adjusted? Over 15 years, inflation resulted in about 40% loss of purchasing-power. So, you're saying that your 50/50 mix went from $1M to $2.6M? Sorry, but I just don't see that.
this is calculator I used:

https://www.portfoliovisualizer.com/...nalysisResults

I simply used SPY and IWM as my portfolio

and also keep in mind that we had 2 severe bear markets in that time frame!

Old 08-01-2018, 08:05 AM

but we were discussing portfolio's for retirees and the fact they need a 2% real return over the first 15 years to not take a pay cut .

i don't know any retirees 100% equities with 50% in small cap , do you ?

that is a good model for the accumulation stage .

we all like to think the equities side of our portfolio can easily do that 2% real return , but the fact is it already failed to do it using the typical total market fund or s&p 500 funds that most models of the popular portfolio's use and that was my point . not that it can't be done but that as a rule you can't count on it all the time .

especially when paying your bills and lifestyle are betting the ranch on it . i can't stress enough that the decumulation stage is very different , all the up years mean little as your balance going forward will always be what is left after the cycle completes and the number of years it takes to rebuild back .

the success of your withdrawal rate hinges on that balance and that recovery time being better than the worst case scenarios we have had to date . no one wants to take a pay cut , not when working and not in retirement

Old 08-01-2018, 08:07 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,568,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
I say that given the tumult and gyration of those 15 years, to have one's holdings less-than-double over 15 years, is a rather paltry showing. And keep in mind, that 2013 and 2014 were years of handsome gains in the markets, much augmenting the cumulative amount over those 15 years. exclude them, and suddenly the comparison is much worse.

And even that factor of 1.8 over 15 years looks a bit suspect to me (see below).

I can't purport to speak for Mathjak, nor am I aiming to berate you, Free866... but are you sure that your numbers are inflation-adjusted? Over 15 years, inflation resulted in about 40% loss of purchasing-power. So, you're saying that your 50/50 mix went from $1M to $2.6M, in raw numerical dollars? Sorry, but I just don't see that.

Ultimately, I revert to something like Dave's point. To rephrase, we dearly wish to avoid spending-down from an account that's highly fluctuating, let alone declining. Bonds and CDs naturally ought to comprise the "spending account", but they themselves lag over long periods of time. A better scheme is warranted. Could that be the "Permanent Portfolio"? Maybe. Let's suppose so. But then, this Permanent Portfolio fits with the portion of one's investments, that one conceivably ever intends to spend. For money held in with infinite-duration intent, a higher weighting towards equities is more attractive - even if it does take 13 years to recover.
1. It's a fictional portfolio. 2. No one recommends having half your assets in small caps. 3. It's cherrypicking scenarios with hindsight seeing that certain indices fared better through the period than others. 4. The higher implied volatility isn't factored into the results since withdrawal percentage rates will have to rise sharply in the downturns.

Old 08-01-2018, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
but we were discussing portfolio's for retirees and the fact they need a 2% real return over the first 15 years to not take a pay cut .

i don't know any retirees 100% equities with 50% in small cap , do you ?

that is a good model for the accumulation stage .
yes-me!

well, almost

Old 08-01-2018, 08:13 AM

well let us know down the road when you retire what you are doing

Old 08-01-2018, 08:15 AM

Quote:
well let us know down the road when you retire what you are doing
I am retired now

I meant "almost" in that I have ~40% small cap

Old 08-01-2018, 08:17 AM

i have 22% large cap and 20% mid cap and small cap for a total equity side of 42%

Old 08-01-2018, 08:26 AM

Quote:
i have 22% large cap and 20% mid cap and small cap for a total equity side of 42%
I'm 45 % large cap 40% small cap 15% international and ~ 2 years cash on side
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing