Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2018, 06:30 AM

4,418 posts, read 2,943,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
You are playing the scary game of reacting daily...good luck with that.
I sold during the rally yesterday and have been doing this since the pull back. I'm up 15% in 3 months. If it drops enough today or tomorrow I will buy back. Unless the pullback is over in the next few days, I'm good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2018, 06:37 AM

10,007 posts, read 11,161,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
I sold during the rally yesterday and have been doing this since the pull back. I'm up 15% in 3 months. If it drops enough today or tomorrow I will buy back. Unless the pullback is over in the next few days, I'm good.
Up 15 percent... Sure you are

Since literally almost NOTHING is even up 10 percent this year you are now just doing the old making stuff up to justify your actions. You may be up based on growth LAST YEAR that you are selling now.

Hey whatever you think works for you..in the long run guessing the market is a fail.

Old 04-11-2018, 07:09 AM

7,829 posts, read 11,788,932 times
Trump threatens Russia... good grief!

Old 04-11-2018, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
Trump threatens Russia... good grief!
Why in this market..you set your portfolio and LEAVE IT. No way to tell whats gonna happen next.

Old 04-11-2018, 07:21 AM

13,654 posts, read 9,711,429 times
It seems the stock markets are latching onto any excuse for a sharp selloff. That at least is the anthropomorphic analogy. Any piece of bad news, be it a toddler chewing a toy in half, a missing cat, scratches on the family car, clogged toilet, or dirty dishes piling up in the sink, and a wave of selling circulates the globe. Once the bad news recedes, markets recover, but have no chance to resume a concerted climb, before the next bout of petty distractions unsettles them.

For me personally, the frustration is that I can't read news sites, where I want to read commentary about society or politics or books and movies or whatever, without getting bombarded by the latest stock market disaster. It's not that I am in the least interested about the latest market news; rather, market news permeates all media. Try walking through a modern airport without getting seduced by televisions with stock-tickers at the bottom of the screen. Try reading Reuters or BBC, without getting hammered by an hourly update on some bad market crash getting worse. It's as if one has to enforce a complete news and commentary blackout, just to save oneself from constantly being needled by provocative missive on crash-this and crash-that. Maybe I should just join Facebook, and start posting about puppies and flowers?

Old 04-11-2018, 07:28 AM

2,009 posts, read 1,211,642 times
Can someone please direct me to the INVESTORS message board?

This one has clearly morphed into the TRADERS board that barks out the headline of the day complete with hyperbolic reactions!

Old 04-11-2018, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
It seems the stock markets are latching onto any excuse for a sharp selloff. That at least is the anthropomorphic analogy. Any piece of bad news, be it a toddler chewing a toy in half, a missing cat, scratches on the family car, clogged toilet, or dirty dishes piling up in the sink, and a wave of selling circulates the globe. Once the bad news recedes, markets recover, but have no chance to resume a concerted climb, before the next bout of petty distractions unsettles them.

For me personally, the frustration is that I can't read news sites, where I want to read commentary about society or politics or books and movies or whatever, without getting bombarded by the latest stock market disaster. It's not that I am in the least interested about the latest market news; rather, market news permeates all media. Try walking through a modern airport without getting seduced by televisions with stock-tickers at the bottom of the screen. Try reading Reuters or BBC, without getting hammered by an hourly update on some bad market crash getting worse. It's as if one has to enforce a complete news and commentary blackout, just to save oneself from constantly being needled by provocative missive on crash-this and crash-that. Maybe I should just join Facebook, and start posting about puppies and flowers?
Well hold on..you are forgetting that last year..the market did the same thing with any good news. It ignored the bad news and embraced good news only. The lollipop ran out.

Old 04-11-2018, 08:43 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,219,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FREE866 View Post
Can someone please direct me to the INVESTORS message board?

This one has clearly morphed into the TRADERS board that barks out the headline of the day complete with hyperbolic reactions!
Whatever gets the clicks.

Old 04-11-2018, 08:49 AM

13,654 posts, read 9,711,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Well hold on..you are forgetting that last year..the market did the same thing with any good news. It ignored the bad news and embraced good news only. The lollipop ran out.
Well, at least you used the lollipop analogy, rather than something, ahem, less family-friendly.

Yes, 2017 was a wonderful year. But for how long will we continue to do penance for such a year of wonder? And while we're on the subject of forgetting, why are we forgetting that 2016 had two sharp guttural-reactions to [mildly] bad news? And why are we forgetting, that ultimately it is earnings that are supposed to be driving the market, and not tantrums of nth-degree-removed hypotheticals?

Regardless, what happens, happens. Such is the price of investment. I just wish that daily life would not so intrude into one's psyche, constantly reminding one as to what's going on. I want to be griping about winter refusing to cede to spring... not whether missiles or sanctions or tariffs are going to erase another 700 points from the Dow.

Old 04-11-2018, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
Well, at least you used the lollipop analogy, rather than something, ahem, less family-friendly.

Yes, 2017 was a wonderful year. But for how long will we continue to do penance for such a year of wonder? And while we're on the subject of forgetting, why are we forgetting that 2016 had two sharp guttural-reactions to [mildly] bad news? And why are we forgetting, that ultimately it is earnings that are supposed to be driving the market, and not tantrums of nth-degree-removed hypotheticals?

Regardless, what happens, happens. Such is the price of investment. I just wish that daily life would not so intrude into one's psyche, constantly reminding one as to what's going on. I want to be griping about winter refusing to cede to spring... not whether missiles or sanctions or tariffs are going to erase another 700 points from the Dow.
Do penance? The market is just under flat THIS YEAR! It is barely down and NASDAQ is still up!. Like I said earlier..that 10 percent runup in January gave everyone a false impression. Never should have happened.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing