Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2018, 01:38 PM

6,631 posts, read 4,298,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
they proclaimed the last inning in 2015, this seems to be a really really really long inning
It's all about risk and return. Can you make a little more in the stock market over the next year or so? Sure, but this is a relatively risky period.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2018, 01:46 PM

106,646 posts, read 108,790,719 times
Trying to time things is a foolish game .if it is long term money just ride the cycles . You will grow a lot more money over time than trying to time when this long term money should be in or out . More money is lost or given up in anticipation of the next down turn than has been lost in the down turn assuming you don't shoot yourself in the foot behaving badly

Even at 65 i have long term money not used to eat for 20-30 years. in fact we all have this need . It woud be a bad move trying to time when this money should be in or out with decades to go. A 40/60 to 60/40 allocation provides decades of shorter term cash flow just by the nature of its make up.

Old 04-03-2018, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Trying to time things is a foolish game .if it is long term money just ride the cycles . You will grow a lot more money over time than trying to time when this long term money should be in or out . More money is lost or given up in anticipation of the next down turn than has been lost in the down turn assuming you don't shoot yourself in the foot behaving badly

Even at 65 i have long term money not used to eat for 20-30 years. in fact we all have this need . It woud be a bad move trying to time when this money should be in or out with decades to go. A 40/60 to 60/40 allocation provides decades of shorter term cash flow just by the nature of its make up.
It's all about time horizon, as you noted. Certainly, as your time horizon increases, risk is reduced.

Old 04-03-2018, 02:07 PM

Well like i said the standard allocations for retirement have been working fine for as long as we have had markets. That mix stays constant good or bad . There is no trying to dodge the bullet and time the markets. It provides enough in low volatility assets to carry you through a long long time without playing the timing game . Which have been proven to hurt you

Old 04-03-2018, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Well like i said the standard allocations for retirement have been working fine for as long as we have had markets. That mix stays constant good or bad . There is no trying to dodge the bullet and time the markets. It provides enough in low volatility assets to carry you through a long long time without playing the timing game . Which have been proven to hurt you
I'm not advocating market timing, but am advocating the merits of a financial plan. For example, we are going to be building a retirement home in 4 years. This money is in a 4 year, no risk CD. Could I earn more in the market? Perhaps, but I'm not willing to take that risk. We are planning to annuitize at least half of our portfolio in 4 years. We currently have more than enough to cover retirement living expenses, adjusted for inflation. This money is safely in a stable value fund. Why would I want to subject this money to market risk? Our Roth IRAs are invested very aggressively in stocks (domestic, international, and emerging markets) since we won't need this money for 16-18 years, if ever. The point I'm trying to make is that we need to be very careful suggesting there is a 'one size fits all' approach. If one doesn't have the skills or the desire to learn and do this type of planning, a fee-based financial planner is a good idea.

Old 04-03-2018, 02:29 PM

I agree with what you said 100% . But i do disagree with tryng to decide what is a risky time to be in and what is not. That is a recipe for disaster.

The whole point to retirement planning is not to do that. The down years are not ruled out. They are not only baked in but the entire concept of a safe withdrawal rate is only based on the down years.

This belief that people have that you need to ditch equities when you retire or just reduce to tiny levels without regard for the income level they hope to take can be a fatal mistake.

Old 04-03-2018, 02:33 PM

7,899 posts, read 7,110,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
.....money is in a 4 year, no risk CD. ...... We are planning to annuitize at least half of our portfolio in 4 years. .......
You have a plan to rely on CDs and annuities. Why do you even bother to visit or comment on a forum that is devoted to investing?

Old 04-03-2018, 02:38 PM

Quote:
I agree with what you said 100% . But i do disagree with tryng to decide what is a risky time to be in and what is not. That is a recipe for disaster.

The whole point to retirement planning is not to do that. The down years are not ruled out. They are not only baked in but the entire concept of a safe withdrawal rate is only based on the down years.

This belief that people have that you need to ditch equities when you retire or just reduce to tiny levels without regard for the income level they hope to take can be a fatal mistake.
I'm in favor of having a contingency plan in case of a worst case scenario. I'm not in favor of being in the market (even a balanced portfolio) if you are going to need the money in 3-5 years.

Old 04-03-2018, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
You have a plan to rely on CDs and annuities. Why do you even bother to visit or comment on a forum that is devoted to investing?
I assume you didn't read all of my post(s). CDs and annuities are part of our portfolio. We also have long-term equity investments.

Old 04-03-2018, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
I'm in favor of having a contingency plan in case of a worst case scenario. I'm not in favor of being in the market (even a balanced portfolio) if you are going to need the money in 3-5 years.
Nonsense. A balanced portfolio provides plenty of short term income from the bond side if stocks are down . That has no logic to it. Retirees have been rebalancing balanced portfolios yearly for the years spending cash forever. The only time i would not do it is if it is not money to live on.

You are buying a house , a car , a wedding , etc. That is outside the scope of your income generating portfolio.

That money is not allocated in the traditional fashion since it has a specific use other than being used for
Income

But if you are trying to tell us that the money you live on over next year or,3 or 4 years should not be in a balanced portfolio because it has part of it in equities i say nonsense . Big cash buckets are not needed for that

Last edited by mathjak107; 04-03-2018 at 03:01 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing