Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2018, 03:31 PM

8,052 posts, read 12,769,823 times

Advertisements

Simulated trading is useful if you are new to trading and are using discretionary trading techniques. If you are relying entirely on indicators that have been back tested and forward tested successfully then maybe you dive right in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2018, 08:05 PM

7,645 posts, read 4,594,923 times
I used to paper trade a lot, but did find that I was fairly careless in my approach. I derive a lot more value from "grading my homework" and revisiting my completed trades after they are complete.

First I break up what my strategy was going into a trade and separate the population. If I'm picking up something off the 52 week lows, I'm generally giving it more time then something that dropped a lot on a daily from barely correlated competitor report that was unfavorable. (i.e. FB makes headlines and Amazon falls because of it.)

Then I grade them as to if I made target money, made money or lost money. Finally I capture the number of days held. Normally I can get a trade to make money, but when I start seeing too many "made money" only trades, I know that I'm getting too quick with a trigger finger...or there's so much selection in a trading style that realization takes longer as there's fewer people looking at things the same way.

Still paper trading is good as well. If you set something up and let it run passively for awhile you may start to glance and see what type of portfolio is killing it vs dying...and be more on top of that if you see similar conditions later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing