Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2018, 12:45 PM

22 posts, read 49,184 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone,
I am looking for an investment that provides:

(1) Principal protection
(2) Growth
(3) Income (optional)

I've heard that Vanguard has the lowest fees, but am not sure which funds would work best for this type of situation. Would you be able to offer some recommendations?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2018, 01:14 PM

106,671 posts, read 108,833,673 times
good luck finding the unicorn . the word growth does not belong with principal protection . no such thing unless you want an index linked cd or annuity which basically end up being more like a fixed income investment with not much growth

Old 04-02-2018, 01:16 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,542,084 times
ee bonds... they kind of grow, around 3% intrinsic rate since they double in value after 20 years

or put it in a savings account and watch it grow at 1% a year

Old 04-02-2018, 06:52 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,927,543 times
There is always a tradeoff between PP and growth. Investment grade corporate bonds fall somewhere in the middle.

Old 04-02-2018, 09:57 PM

6,632 posts, read 4,302,964 times
In order to get higher return/growth, you must be willing to take on more risk. However, a moderately aggressive portfolio, such as 60-40 might return more than an aggressive portfolio (100% equity) over a given time period as it takes the more aggressive portfolio longer to get back to even after a large drop in the market.

Old 04-03-2018, 02:49 AM

the peaks and valley's may be steeper but if you have a situation like now where bonds are contributing little to the party , until the equity side recovers the portfolio is just as stuck .

in fact if we have a decent up day my growth and income model will be positive again , the income model will not be . it will take even more up cycle to the stocks to over come the fact the bonds are down .

as of now the growth and income model is down 1.02% ytd, the very conservative income model is down 1.75% ytd

Old 04-03-2018, 03:17 AM

13,073 posts, read 7,511,991 times
Where is this money coming from?
IRA, Roth, Taxable IRA, 401k, excess funds, inheritance, sale ?

Old 04-03-2018, 07:42 AM

22 posts, read 49,184 times
Default A Little Background

Thanks for your input everyone! I still have a lot to learn. Here's a little more background so you can have an idea of my situation. I'll update my original post to include the details.

Background
Due to health concerns (my father had a stroke), my parents sold their small business last year. My father has been the sole provider and taking care of my mother for the past 20 years. They are in their late 50's so not yet able to collect social security and they have no formal education (no HS or college degree...came to the U.S. as refugees during the 80's). Fortunately, due to years of hard work and modest living, they've been able to build up a nice savings.

I am trying to help them find a way to earn income until they qualify for social security. I thought perhaps an investment of some kind that would protect their principal as well as provide income would be worth looking into. Perhaps growth isn't as important in this situation. I just want to make sure that they're able to protect the money they've worked so hard for.

What are your thoughts about an annuity? I've recently started looking into them. It seems many people think the fees are too high and not "worth it"; however, it seems a better option than just spending down the money in the bank account. For reference, the amount they have to work with is $250K. They've paid off their home.

Edit: Well, I don't see a button where I can edit my original post. Lol

Old 04-03-2018, 07:47 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,542,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandabean View Post
They are in their late 50's so not yet able to collect social security

For reference, the amount they have to work with is $250K.
how much do they need each year? and once they hit social security, will it be enough or do they need the added investment income still?

an annutity would just return their principle to them for the first decade or two, they could do the same, invest part of it and withdraw the rest from a bank account. having "metlife" or your choice of annuity broker isnt any different than this, except you keep the fees

Old 04-03-2018, 07:52 AM

At today's rates an immediate annuity is basically just handing you back the money you gave them for 17 years and charging a fee. You don't see your first dime of their money until 17 years later
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing