Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2018, 09:46 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,793,716 times

Advertisements

I want to buy some of that barbaric metal. Eagles can be had from the US Treasury. Does anyone know where and how to get Loonies? I don't want resellers, 3rd parties. What is the Canadian government agency that sells them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2018, 02:00 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,926,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post
I want to buy some of that barbaric metal. Eagles can be had from the US Treasury. Does anyone know where and how to get Loonies? I don't want resellers, 3rd parties. What is the Canadian government agency that sells them?
Loonies are $1 CDN coins, there is no gold in them. Are your referring to Maple Leaf coins?

Old 04-06-2018, 04:14 PM

5,301 posts, read 6,179,553 times
https://online.kitco.com/gold-coins?...03-23_kitcoweb

Old 04-06-2018, 04:44 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,591,003 times
Maple Leaves? I'd just order them from APMEX or similar. They usually go for a slight premium over Eagles I notice. And Eagles themselves go for a hefty premium over spot compared to generic rounds or bars.

Old 04-07-2018, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
Loonies are $1 CDN coins, there is no gold in them. Are your referring to Maple Leaf coins?
Right. I forgot. Maple leafs are what I'm after maybe.

Old 04-07-2018, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
I hadn't thought of those. Maybe they're better than coins. I noticed that Eagles are something like 92 - 93% gold, the rest is silver and copper.

Old 04-08-2018, 05:56 PM

4,003 posts, read 6,099,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post
Why do you want Canadian Silver? Eagles go for a premium price, granted you pay a premium for them as well but there are way more buyers for Eagles than Maple Leaves and if you wait til summer or whenever the next year is about to be printed there's normally a shortage and I've been able to get upwards of $4 over spot even from a coin shop. IMHO if your not gonna buy Eagles your almost better off just buying generic rounds from Buffalo Mint or something like that.

I'm not 100% sure how Canada does it but the US Mint has 3rd parties sell the coins for them if I'm not mistaken. A few years back I was looking into it but you need like a million liquid and there not even taking more people currently. More than likely your going to have to buy them from a third party.

Best deal is grabbing them from people off Craigslist locally however Gainsville coins out of Florida typically has some of the best prices when I shop around

Old 04-09-2018, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlemagic View Post
Why do you want Canadian Silver? Eagles go for a premium price, granted you pay a premium for them as well but there are way more buyers for Eagles than Maple Leaves and if you wait til summer or whenever the next year is about to be printed there's normally a shortage and I've been able to get upwards of $4 over spot even from a coin shop. IMHO if your not gonna buy Eagles your almost better off just buying generic rounds from Buffalo Mint or something like that.

I'm not 100% sure how Canada does it but the US Mint has 3rd parties sell the coins for them if I'm not mistaken. A few years back I was looking into it but you need like a million liquid and there not even taking more people currently. More than likely your going to have to buy them from a third party.

Best deal is grabbing them from people off Craigslist locally however Gainsville coins out of Florida typically has some of the best prices when I shop around
I got the name wrong. I guess I meant Maple Leafs.

I really wanted to buy gold. The rounds or whatever are probably what I should get. The US Mint sells gold coins directly. But they're expensive, maybe because of collectors, way above the cost of the gold in them. I've bought them in the past but now the gold rounds might be better.

Thanks.

Old 04-12-2018, 07:19 AM

3,220 posts, read 1,604,851 times
I believe the US Mint will sell the collector coins directly but when you are talking about the bullion coins then they use 3rd party sellers. I also think it is the same situation in Canada. I believe Kitco is an authorized 3rd party for the Canadian Mint for bullion coins.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing