Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2018, 07:31 AM

13,641 posts, read 9,696,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
I really could care less about politics when it comes to where I shop or eat. I thought it was the most idiotic thing when SF banned Chick Fil A because the CEO was anti-gay marriage. Likewise, I think it’s pretty stupid to not go to starbucks because they apologized about two black people being refused service. Politics ruins a lot of things if you let it whether it be places to shop or even marriage. In the end both sides are led by scum who only care anout themselves.
Exactly. I'm not going to withhold my business from a vendor, just because I disagree with their politics. If the product is good, and the price is reasonable, I'm a customer. Likewise with investments. If it's a solid business with good prospects for earnings-growth, I would be interested.

Lately Chick Fill A has had in their nuggets coarser meat, sometimes with a piece of ligament. That would affect my decision to buy their food, far more than any antics of their CEO.

As for coffee, I honestly can't distinguish between McDonalds, Dunkin, Starbucks, Tim Hortons, or what I make at home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2018, 07:38 AM

24,396 posts, read 26,928,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
Exactly. I'm not going to withhold my business from a vendor, just because I disagree with their politics. If the product is good, and the price is reasonable, I'm a customer. Likewise with investments. If it's a solid business with good prospects for earnings-growth, I would be interested.

Lately Chick Fill A has had in their nuggets coarser meat, sometimes with a piece of ligament. That would affect my decision to buy their food, far more than any antics of their CEO.

As for coffee, I honestly can't distinguish between McDonalds, Dunkin, Starbucks, Tim Hortons, or what I make at home.
Agreed!

I recently got a “Breville Barista Express Espresso Machine” for $595 on Amazon. The drinks I make with that are out of this world, so now the only reason I’d ever get a coffee related drink outside of my own home is just for socializing and atmosphere, which the new Starbucks are quite nice these days. Well they also sell at some locations “Nitrogen Cold Brew Coffee” which is quite interesting actually, the texture is very velvety.

Old 04-18-2018, 08:15 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,244,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
I think we need a separate forum for day traders and speculators. Many of us on this forum are investors. We look for value and longer term trends.
So go create one. Not sure what your complaint is?

Old 04-18-2018, 08:17 AM

24,396 posts, read 26,928,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
So go create one. Not sure what your complaint is?
lol yep,

The door is out that way...

Old 04-18-2018, 11:05 AM

6,721 posts, read 6,473,186 times
Quote:
Dunkin Donuts is generic crap ingridient stale donuts brand... America won’t give up on donuts, but they will go more toward places like Voodoo Donuts and places like that. That’s my guess for the future anyways.
To use an appropriate analogy based on OP's alias, there will always be a market for Budweiser, etc. even though many today prefer a good craft beer.

I gotta give props to DD for reinventing themselves over the years. IMO, they were fading away ~20 years ago, but today they have made a resurgence with their new food/drink offerings. They also have a nice app that you can use to pay with and it gives rewards (perks).

I like Starbucks too, but usually only when I need a real kick in the pants!

Old 04-18-2018, 11:36 AM

4,043 posts, read 3,769,668 times
LOL I just drink instant coffee when I'm at home.

DD is more popular on the east coast and SBUX is more popular on the west coast. I know DD just got a new creative advertising agency and they're constantly trying to keep up with being relevant. I think both companies are here to stay for at least the next 20 years but I personally wouldn't put my investing dollars into either.

Old 04-18-2018, 12:17 PM

31,340 posts, read 14,244,921 times
Dunkin's lines are almost continuously long, day after day, and have been for quite a while in my area. I can't speak for other areas, of course. 20 years? I'd say they will be around for 100 - just like McDonalds. Starbucks will be around as well - but I do see them as having peaked and on the decline. IMO a stock like DNKN is a safe bet at this market stage.

Old 04-18-2018, 01:19 PM

4,003 posts, read 6,094,746 times
Quote:
I would choose Starbucks over Dunkin Donuts in a heart beat both as a customer and shareholder.

Dunkin Donuts will turn into Blockbuster IMO down the road.
That's the craziest thing I've ever heard, Dunkin Donuts isn't going anywhere. Maybe you live in a region where they havn't made a big footprint but in Chicago myself and almost everyone I know is die hard Dunkin Donuts lovers and have been for decades.

Not knocking Starbucks, I dont really like their coffee with the exception of their new NitroBrew which is probably my favorite coffee I've ever had, but aside from that I'm not a fan and it's too pricey.

All that said I don't think Starbucks is going to be hurting. Starbucks is a liberal company, no big secret there so anyone who already disliked them will think this shutting down stores to have a big kumbaya hug session is the stupid thing they've ever done, i agree with that sentiment but it's Starbucks so I'm not surprised and I don't think it will turn people on or off from buying coffee. All the people boycotting likely aren't Starbucks target market anyhow

Old 04-18-2018, 01:22 PM

4,003 posts, read 6,094,746 times
Quote:
Dunkin Donuts is generic crap ingridient stale donuts brand... America won’t give up on donuts, but they will go more toward places like Voodoo Donuts and places like that. That’s my guess for the future anyways.
I love Stans Donuts, so superior to Dunkin Donuts but it's not the type of place most people are gonna go grab a dozen donuts for their coworkers, it would cost like $50

Old 04-18-2018, 01:34 PM

270 posts, read 203,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Back up the truck and load up on Dunkin Donuts at around $60 a share....

Starbucks is in for a world of hurt....
First of all their coffee is too darn expensive
Second their politics are way too liberal
Third they made the wrong call to close down all of their stores on May 29th for "racial training". No reason for it! A bad management decision to call the police on those guys was kicked upstairs to the corporate executives, who in very predicable fashion, made an even worse decision, turning this into a black vs white issue - when it wasn't.

Booyah
DD Donuts are actually not good and that's all I know about them. As far as their stock I've never even considered it just off their donuts not being good. All of the other stuff you said about starbucks I agree. side note I don't even drink coffee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing