Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2018, 02:11 PM

265 posts, read 155,566 times

Advertisements

After what feels like years of scrimp... I am finally at the point where I feel "comfortable"

I only have 20,000 is a checking account (among other things)

Anyone else feel like this middle class blah and boredom?

Like you can't go nuts but jobbloss isn't something I am worried about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2018, 02:16 PM

10,352 posts, read 7,984,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raise_the_Black_Flag View Post
After what feels like years of scrimp... I am finally at the point where I feel "comfortable"

(snip) Anyone else feel like this middle class blah and boredom?

Like you can't go nuts w money like if you won the lotto but at the same time a job loss isn't something I am worried about.
Why is your current state "blah and boredom"? I'd define it as "not stressful," and take advantage of that relative lack of financial stress to concentrate on and truly enjoy the non-monetary aspects of life (which is something too many people can't do, as they have to constantly worry about how they are going to pay their bills).

Congratualtions on achieving financial freedom!

Old 04-20-2018, 02:25 PM

265 posts, read 155,566 times
Because you're still kinda confined to middle class tastes and spending.

Like I could live the same lifestyle if I had 200 bucks in a checking account (seems like yesterday but that's what I did)

Old 04-20-2018, 02:29 PM

18,065 posts, read 15,658,847 times
Not feeling stress or angst about your financial situation is a good thing, not a "blah" thing. There's more to life than money, and even people on an investing forum would readily admit that.

Think of Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs. It means you're past the basic needs and have time and energy for the psychological and self-actualization needs. That's a good thing!

Old 04-21-2018, 10:21 AM

1,265 posts, read 1,422,970 times
Quote:

Like I could live the same lifestyle if I had 200 bucks in a checking account (seems like yesterday but that's what I did)
Keep in mind that people who actually build affluence (those who earn their way to being considered rich, rather than those who inherit fortunes) who aren't actors or athletes generally confine themselves to middle class tastes and instead spend the extra money on themselves for their future by investing it. I know a few affluent people who still drive the beat up cars they had in college and they're quite happy because they're not defined by the "things" they have - more in the security their future has now.

Old 04-21-2018, 07:00 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,829,894 times
You didn't say anything about your age or situation beyond having $20K in checking and feeling 'comfortable.' Not sure what that means, but, keep this in mind - Life is a moving target and true lasting "comfort" (aka: peace, satisfaction, joy) does not come from a temporary bank account. If you believe it does, you are setting yourself up for a fall.

Old 04-21-2018, 07:10 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,572,348 times
20k is a lot in a damn checking account.

At the very least put it in a savings account with same bank so you have a firewall against money accessible by ATM card and move it to checking as needed.

I feel no blah and boredom.

Old 04-21-2018, 08:53 PM

4,043 posts, read 3,772,755 times
Well, that is a sad thing if you have money and feel boredom. It's usually people who have no money and can't do anything that you think would be bored.

Old 04-21-2018, 09:18 PM

24,619 posts, read 9,449,501 times
Blah and boredom is the hedonic treadmill kicking in again
Quote:
The hedonic treadmill, also known as hedonic adaptation, is the observed tendency of humans to quickly return to a relatively stable level of happiness despite major positive or negative events or life changes. According to this theory, as a person makes more money, expectations and desires rise in tandem, which results in no permanent gain in happiness.
I think the OP is referring to the fact that he can’t just go out and blow the money. So essentially he’s still bored and living a middle class life despite decent savings.

OP, it doesn’t have to be that way, but you must find hobbies and things that make you happy. Travel? Sports? Fishing? Watches? Cars? Surely there is something that can keep your middle class from being blah and boring.

Want something cheap? Books. Some good books of your favorite genre can really bring joy to ones life.

Old 04-22-2018, 02:07 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,949,177 times
Quote:

Once you've attained a basic middle class lifestyle, having more doesn't really add that much to your sense of well being, anyway. A sense of financial security is important, but it's not enough, all by itself, if you want a fulfilling life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing