Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2018, 03:51 PM

6,632 posts, read 4,302,964 times

Advertisements

There is 'no one size fits all'. We often make general pronouncements, but each situation is unique. The best advice is to find a good fee-based financial planner (if you don't have the expertise or inclination to do it yourself). He/she is going to look at current assets (going to assume a ror going forward), project future income stream, and expected expenses post retirement, adjusted for inflation for the remainder of expected life (out to age 100 or higher). We are a perfect example that 'one size doesn't fit all". Our current assets will provide a future income stream that will more than cover expected expenses post retirement (adjusted for inflation), with considerable assets likely remaining. There is no need for us to take unnecessary risks with current assets. For us, and I suspect some others, it's more about capital preservation than accumulation at this stage of our lives. I had always been an aggressive investor, but it was a epiphany, when I realized that we had 'enough'. At that point, I begin to think differently; this has affected my investment choices/preferences. One needs to ascertain that investing style/preferences/choices/allocation fit well into a well thought out financial plan.

Last edited by Lizap; 04-29-2018 at 04:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2018, 04:17 PM

2,009 posts, read 1,212,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
There is 'no one size fits all'. We often make general pronouncements, but each situation is unique. The best advice is to find a good fee-based financial planner (if you don't have the expertise or inclination to do it yourself). He/she is going to look at current assets (going to assume a ror going forward), project future income stream, and expected expenses post retirement, adjusted for inflation for the remainder of expected life (out to age 100 or higher). We are a perfect example that 'one size doesn't fit all". Our current assets will provide a future income stream that will more than cover expected expenses post retirement (adjusted for inflation), with considerable assets likely remaining. There is no need for us to take unnecessary risks with current assets. For us, and I suspect some others, it's more about capital preservation than accumulation at this stage of our lives. I had always been an aggressive investor, but it was a epiphany, when I realized that we had 'enough'. At that point, I begin to think differently; this has affected my investment choices/preferences. One needs to ascertain that investing style/preferences/choices/allocation fit well into a well thought out financial plan.
You very well might have enough, but hiring a fee based advisor can also lock yi into recommendations of so called conventional wisdom that could be very misguided
If you have your assets all in guaranteed income for the rest of your life that tells me you're in all annuities and I'm sure if you pull back the curtain you're paying a boatload in fees. That would bother the crap out of me but like you said it's not one size fits all

Last edited by FREE866; 04-29-2018 at 04:43 PM..

Old 04-29-2018, 05:55 PM

6,632 posts, read 4,302,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FREE866 View Post
You very well might have enough, but hiring a fee based advisor can also lock yi into recommendations of so called conventional wisdom that could be very misguided
If you have your assets all in guaranteed income for the rest of your life that tells me you're in all annuities and I'm sure if you pull back the curtain you're paying a boatload in fees. That would bother the crap out of me but like you said it's not one size fits all
Not true. We will have a mix of immediate annuities and stocks, but enough in annuities for an income stream that will more than cover projected expenses (adjusted for inflation) for the rest of our lives. As we discussed in another thread, fees for immediate life annuities are built into the product (maybe with the exception of Vanguard).

Old 04-30-2018, 01:33 PM

13,072 posts, read 7,511,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
The market is running flat in spite of great earning reports everywhere. If you can't smell the bears breath you must have a head cold.
A negative Market would make me happier. I got a bunch of GLWB VA's that at are hitting the 10 year mark.
I also got some ADR's that should increase in US$ if the US Market falls (dollar falls in relation to foreign currency).

Old 04-30-2018, 02:18 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,161,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
A negative Market would make me happier. I got a bunch of GLWB VA's that at are hitting the 10 year mark.
I also got some ADR's that should increase in US$ if the US Market falls (dollar falls in relation to foreign currency).
Another day of great earnings , a lower yield.....and a lower market.

Old 04-30-2018, 02:54 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,867,365 times
Quote:
The market is running flat in spite of great earning reports everywhere. If you can't smell the bears breath you must have a head cold.
The market went up over 16% late last year in anticipation of the current great earning reports.

Old 04-30-2018, 03:24 PM

106,671 posts, read 108,833,673 times
yep , markets expected an 18% increase . if we didn't see these earnings things would have fallen a lot

Old 04-30-2018, 04:02 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,161,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
The market went up over 16% late last year in anticipation of the current great earning reports.
Well that is my point really. Market has only one way to go it seems.

Old 04-30-2018, 04:09 PM

18,082 posts, read 15,670,593 times
I doubt I've ever understood the market, and this year is no different. I don't try to make sense of it, I just keep going, with the hope the long term trends will continue. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Old 04-30-2018, 04:47 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,867,365 times
Quote:
Well that is my point really. Market has only one way to go it seems.
The one way is to find the risk-adjusted sum of the present value of its future stream of earnings.

It's called rational expectations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing