Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2018, 11:28 AM

6,750 posts, read 5,044,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i would not do anything but an immediate annuity.

I'll second that advice. It's an easy product to understand and make comparisons between different insurance companies. Be sure to look at the ratings of the underwriting companies too, of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2018, 12:23 PM

16,269 posts, read 10,395,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
some are deferred fixed annuities so you buy them 9 or 10 years earlier , they have a growth component like interest , then you annuitized them . they can be very deceiving though as to how they work .

they are not like immediate annuities .

some have a virtual and actual account balance and you have to really understand the product
Thanks. I'm pretty sure if I ever go this route it will be an immediate, fixed annuity so I know exactly what to expect.

Old 05-02-2018, 03:21 AM

106,573 posts, read 108,713,667 times
immediate annuities are simple and have no hidden traps and fees .

but like i said you give them 100k and they give it back to you over 18 years at the rate of 5500 a year right now . in this case your roi after 19 years is actually .003% since in 19 years you actually got 5500 dollars that was not your own money that you gave them .

so there really is no roi until you go on the insurers dime . you are trading interest rate and market return risk for longevity risk .

the worst are variable annuities . oh man these can be a minefield. there are even fixed income ones .

i looked in to a fixed income index annuity from prudential a few years ago . it sounded great . you get a guaranteed 5.50% or the value of your account that is linked to a bond index .

rates at the time were 1% in cd's so it sounded great .

but when you really looked under the hood it was a bit better than a cd.

the problem is these products are so complex and very easy to sell to you because they all sound so good .

i posted the details of it a few times but if anyone wants to see the pitfalls i will re-post it . it applies to most variable annuity products so they all work the same . there is a virtual account value good only for annuitizing that gets this money with the guarantees but you can never access it or see it's full value and then you have your actual account linked to the index or investments which of course has about 3% coming out right off the top as expenses .

in this case a bond index at that time was lucky to provide 3% in total so the only account you would end up using is the one with the guaranteed min of 5.50% .

only the way it is doled out is anything but 5.50% .

like i said , if anyone wants to see this again i will post it as well as how to make your own index linked cd's like the article above talks about

Old 05-03-2018, 03:10 AM

106,573 posts, read 108,713,667 times
keep in mind when you get involved in variable annuities the guaranteed amounts are always inclusive of fees and expenses . the variable parts are not. they can easily have 3% a year taken so it makes it very hard for a annuity investment to beat the guaranteed portion .

once you annuitize and start spending down the fees on a declining balance can really wipe away any benefit. so usually it is the guaranteed side that ends up being what your draw is based on not the investment portion .

Old 05-03-2018, 05:20 AM

16,269 posts, read 10,395,161 times
Are your hidden traps limited to variable annuities? I've looked at fixed rate, they seem pretty clear to me. Including fees you realize a payment of a little over 5% which is certainly better than a 4% withdraw if the goal for this money is to produce income.

Old 05-03-2018, 06:36 AM

790 posts, read 503,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Are your hidden traps limited to variable annuities? I've looked at fixed rate, they seem pretty clear to me. Including fees you realize a payment of a little over 5% which is certainly better than a 4% withdraw if the goal for this money is to produce income.
As previously said these products can be extremely complex. It's all about the fine print so make sure you are working with a financial advisor who specializes in them. The better ones can provide a guaranteed future rate of return that cannot be duplicated by any other investment vehicle.

At age 52 on 6/18/2008 I invested $150,000 of my IRA (about 20% of the value at the time) in a fixed index annuity with a lifetime income rider. My reasoning was that as a self employed person I wanted to construct a pension-like guaranteed income flow as part of my portfolio. At age 70 on 6/19/2026 I will receive $38,500/year for life. The yearly payments are deducted from my account value at the time of the withdrawal. If I die before the account is depleted my heirs inherit what remains. If I live long enough and the account value is depleted my payments continue until my death.

Old 05-03-2018, 07:22 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,791,073 times
I believe President Obama was thinking about legislation that would make retirees buy an annuity with their IRAs or 401k's like some here are considering.

Vanguard offers low cost immediate and deferred annuities through a broker or insurance company. To me, the quality of the underlying company is key. I had a deferred annuity through Charter Life, but it failed. Luckily NY has a fund that makes good the annuitants' stakes.

Prudential comes to mind. I'm sure there are others that are relatively safe. But, they are not risk free. Don't be lulled.

Old 05-03-2018, 07:26 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
And others have commented that Vanguard's fees are not the low cost they were in the past
Years ago Scott Burns--the financial advisor who was advocate of low-fee, diversified investments like Bogle's POV--wrote article about including annuities in a retirement plan.
You can search it on his site--Assetbuilder--some info could be out of date since it has been quite a while from publication--
I believe the three companies he recommended were Vanguard, Fidelity, and TIAA-CREF for low cost annuities...

Old 05-03-2018, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard818 View Post
As previously said these products can be extremely complex. It's all about the fine print so make sure you are working with a financial advisor who specializes in them. The better ones can provide a guaranteed future rate of return that cannot be duplicated by any other investment vehicle.

At age 52 on 6/18/2008 I invested $150,000 of my IRA (about 20% of the value at the time) in a fixed index annuity with a lifetime income rider. My reasoning was that as a self employed person I wanted to construct a pension-like guaranteed income flow as part of my portfolio. At age 70 on 6/19/2026 I will receive $38,500/year for life. The yearly payments are deducted from my account value at the time of the withdrawal. If I die before the account is depleted my heirs inherit what remains. If I live long enough and the account value is depleted my payments continue until my death.
I don't think anyone would be lucky enough to capture that same annuity today

Old 05-03-2018, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post
I believe President Obama was thinking about legislation that would make retirees buy an annuity with their IRAs or 401k's like some here are considering.

Vanguard offers low cost immediate and deferred annuities through a broker or insurance company. To me, the quality of the underlying company is key. I had a deferred annuity through Charter Life, but it failed. Luckily NY has a fund that makes good the annuitants' stakes.

Prudential comes to mind. I'm sure there are others that are relatively safe. But, they are not risk free. Don't be lulled.
Read an article about an investment company that is attempting to establish a process for individuals to buy into annuities like they make 401K incremental investments
Don't remember too much about the name but they have two insurance companies at the moment who are the platforms carrying the investments...
So that people can create their own pensions going forward in addition to SS
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing