Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2018, 11:59 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,418,861 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinking-man View Post
The reason bolt/volt batteries don't catch fire vs. Teslas' comes down to the technology and material used. The volt/bolt batteries are of course safer, but naturally, there's a trade off or two; a small spinet of it can be read below.

"The Chevy Volt and Chevy Bolt's batteries are far safer than the Tesla batteries that bursted into flame in the latest incident. Tesla's Panasonic cells are made with thin metal casings so that the heat from one burning cell causes the neighboring cells to burst especially when exposed to air in an accident. The Chevy Volt and Bolt's battery cell casings are much thicker and help prevent breaking apart due to impacts or heat and are also covered with fire retardant. Yes, the batteries of Volt and Bolt are more expensive than Tesla's, Toyota's, Nissan's and Ford's, and has heavier battery weight per unit capacity but it has saved lives and properties. So far, there have been no battery fires from Volt and Bolt in any of the accidents that they're involved. With Tesla on the other hand, the more battery capacity it has, the more intense are the fires and more difficult to put out, although it is still rarer than fires from gasoline cars."
Thanks for posting this. Can you provide a link to the article?

Reading this, I personally would never buy a Tesla over a Volt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2018, 12:15 PM

4,196 posts, read 6,294,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
Thanks for posting this. Can you provide a link to the article?

Reading this, I personally would never buy a Tesla over a Volt.
yeah, here you go.
https://www.torquenews.com/1/why-tes...batteries-dont

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
Really? Keep telling yourself that. I remember Paul Allen saying a year or so ago that he was purchasing a Bolt over a Tesla.

In the next two years, comparisons among EVs will take center stage. Consider also that Tesla will lose the $7,500 federal tax credit in coming months/years.

https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/...-electric-cars

Electric cars that will be available by 2025 - Business Insider
i've driven both bolt and all teslas. no comparison.
whether you like it or not (not sure why you wouldn't), tesla is competing with gasoline cars currently. It would be great if we get to a point where other manufactures have viable alternative for consumers like me to consider. competition is healthy.
but don't forget Tesla's ever growing supercharger network (10,000+ stations currently, and being expanded at a very fast rate), which provide a huge leg up against any other manufacturer currently.

Old 05-18-2018, 01:24 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,565,123 times
I don’t really think Tesla’s are competing against gas cars. I think especially for the higher end models it’s completly a toy/gimmicky niche area. Maybe that changes once model 3s are really moving but model 3s will also face some pressure once the incentives roll off. I think as of right now the more expensive your model 3 order the more likely it is to be built and you can push these things well into the 50s when you order them

Edit it looks like you can push he model 3 order to just under 60k and that’s not optioned for the dual motor awd.

Old 05-18-2018, 05:51 PM

654 posts, read 423,514 times
The model E is coming out next year, a serious competitor for Tesla. I'm sure the interior and build quality will be miles ahead of any Tesla since it's a Porsche. Personally the big selling point for Tesla now is autopilot, though slowly others are going to start like Cadillac. I think Tesla will do fine though, it has a Apple like following and it will probably be king of EVs for at least the next 10 years.

Old 05-18-2018, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22003yo View Post
The model E is coming out next year, a serious competitor for Tesla. I'm sure the interior and build quality will be miles ahead of any Tesla since it's a Porsche. Personally the big selling point for Tesla now is autopilot, though slowly others are going to start like Cadillac. I think Tesla will do fine though, it has a Apple like following and it will probably be king of EVs for at least the next 10 years.
I think you're right. Model E will be great, although i read that it's coming out next year in the UK (not sure when in the US). It's a nice looking car. The iPACE from Jag also looks nice.

Two points i'll make though:

1. the interior of the model S/X for current models is MILES ahead of what they were back in even 2016! I used to have an old generation model S with the older seats, and the latest model i have are VERY different and much more luxurious IMHO.

2. Don't forget or discount the massive advantage of Tesla's super charger network. one of the major appeals to me and many other Tesla owners is the ability to use this network to travel literally anywhere in the US (and it's free for model S and X cars for the time being). This is huge, as without this network (which costs a lot of money and a long time to build) you are given mobility beyond your 200-300 mile regular range. Yes, there are chademo stations and a lot of destination charging....but they're not yet viable options for long distance travel (compared to the superchargers) due to their scarcity and the much lower rate at which they charge. So in short, one of the only ways the porsche/bmw/jag/benz/etc. manufacturers can truly compete, is to build their similar infrastructure for their customers, otherwise, they'll be at a disadvantage against Tesla's already established (and growing) network.

Old 05-20-2018, 02:41 PM

"About 174,000 vehicle fires were reported in the United States in 2015, the most recent year for which statistics are available from the National Fire Protection Association. Virtually all of those fires involved gasoline powered cars. That works out to about one every three minutes."

Are electric cars more likely to catch fire?

Old 05-20-2018, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinking-man View Post
"About 174,000 vehicle fires were reported in the United States in 2015, the most recent year for which statistics are available from the National Fire Protection Association. Virtually all of those fires involved gasoline powered cars. That works out to about one every three minutes."

Are electric cars more likely to catch fire?

Where is the per capita fire count? Without discussing how many more gas powered vehicles there are your attempted comparisons are irrelevant

Old 05-22-2018, 06:13 AM

18,042 posts, read 15,634,356 times
Consumer Reports Does Not Give TSLA (the model3 vehicle) a Recommendation to Buy At This Time:

Consumer Reports: We can't recommend Tesla's Model 3

Old 05-22-2018, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
Consumer Reports Does Not Give TSLA (the model3 vehicle) a Recommendation to Buy At This Time:

Consumer Reports: We can't recommend Tesla's Model 3
Yeah, saw that. that's not good; although i do disagree with some of their findings about the complexity of the screen, no buttons, etc.

Elon Musk quickly responded vowing to fix the issue. See below.

Old 05-22-2018, 09:09 AM

So the answer to the quality problems is send them a newer produced model 3? Well doesn’t that suck for the people who already owned an early run car?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing