Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2019, 12:44 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,568,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Tentative delivery date of March 19 around 4:00 pm =)

One thing that is interesting to me is the upgrade rate for current Tesla owners. One of my neighbors said this is the only car he has ever owned that got better overtime at no additional cost because Tesla sends updates to all owners. He got a dash cam via an update using one of the cars existing cameras. He got sentry mode via an update. Pet safe mode via an update. You can upgrade your own car if you want enhanced auto pilot or even full self driving when it comes out later. The typical business model is similar to phones, where every year they add things that can only be yours if you sell your car and buy a new one. I wonder if at some point Tesla will sell updates or maybe try to make money from their supercharging network to all electric cars. They just released a supercharger that does 1,000 miles per hour and will be adding it to its network of them.

The update capability is a great feature no doubt but if there was a camera on the front of the car why didn’t Tesla engage it as a dash cam from the start? Seems mind boggling given the price points of their cars

I wonder what’s the cost to continue expanding the charger vs the increased value perception
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2019, 01:12 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,932,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
The update capability is a great feature no doubt but if there was a camera on the front of the car why didn’t Tesla engage it as a dash cam from the start? Seems mind boggling given the price points of their cars

I wonder what’s the cost to continue expanding the charger vs the increased value perception

Not sure, but they seem to be always thinking of new things to add for free. I think they just didn't think of it when it came out, similar to pet mode where the screen will say "Don't worry my pet is safe, cool or heat set to XXXX" something like that.

The price honestly is very reasonable IMO and I like how you aren't nickel and dimed for everything. For example, the performance model, you decide paint color, interior color, enhanced auto pilot, and full self driving. Go to BMW and build your car and see how much everything extra costs, premium package, sport package, navigation package, cold package, etc. Everything else is included regardless. Without the autopilots, the car is $58k without tax credit. What other car for $58k gets you 0-60 in 3.2 seconds? Not only does it get you 3.2 seconds, it also comes with all the extras, low suspension, internet, navigation, 20" performance wheels, etc. You can add enhanced auto pilot for $3k, which drives for you on the highway during rush hour, summons your car to automatically open your garage door and drive out by itself, automatically park in tight spots without you even in the car... free software updates, etc. I was also looking into getting a BMW M3 we're talking a lot more money for less performance, less capabilities and the feeling of driving an old car after a few years. Considering EVs are still a premium priced thing, I think the pricing is very reasonable. There is no car with a nicer interior IMO. I love minimalism, clean lines, etc. $58k and I can beat cars costing in the six figures.

Old 03-10-2019, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Not sure, but they seem to be always thinking of new things to add for free. I think they just didn't think of it when it came out, similar to pet mode where the screen will say "Don't worry my pet is safe, cool or heat set to XXXX" something like that.

The price honestly is very reasonable IMO and I like how you aren't nickel and dimed for everything. For example, the performance model, you decide paint color, interior color, enhanced auto pilot, and full self driving. Go to BMW and build your car and see how much everything extra costs, premium package, sport package, navigation package, cold package, etc. Everything else is included regardless. Without the autopilots, the car is $58k without tax credit. What other car for $58k gets you 0-60 in 3.2 seconds? Not only does it get you 3.2 seconds, it also comes with all the extras, low suspension, internet, navigation, 20" performance wheels, etc. You can add enhanced auto pilot for $3k, which drives for you on the highway during rush hour, summons your car to automatically open your garage door and drive out by itself, automatically park in tight spots without you even in the car... free software updates, etc. I was also looking into getting a BMW M3 we're talking a lot more money for less performance, less capabilities and the feeling of driving an old car after a few years. Considering EVs are still a premium priced thing, I think the pricing is very reasonable. There is no car with a nicer interior IMO. I love minimalism, clean lines, etc. $58k and I can beat cars costing in the six figures.

My 40k Infiniti has a dash cam so for 50% more money I’d expect a lot more features.

I’m not sure I can agree with the bolded and it really just doesn’t compute in my mind that minimalist equals the nicest interior out there. Fwiw it’s great you love the 0-60 but in mass sales that’s newrly irrelevant for instance the v6 mustang has always outsold the v8 by a wide margin. I’m all about EV performance but that’s not going to sustain them in the market place

Old 03-10-2019, 01:28 PM

Once again, I’m not advocating the stock or that Tesla is going to become bigger than BMW. I’m saying their product to me at least is the best out of EV or gas given the price, performance and design. Hence, why I’m not a shareholder of TSLA. Well I guess I bought 1 option but that is just gambling money whether it doubles or goes to $0 won’t impact me. Regarding their v3 supercharging cables, I think their long term view is to make it so charging is about the same time as filling up at a gas station and using the bathroom if I had to guess.

Old 03-10-2019, 03:46 PM

4,663 posts, read 4,545,565 times
We love the OTA updates. I was just joking with my wife earlier today that this is the first time I've ever heard of an EV's range *increasing* after almost a year of ownership. The car gets better and better over time.

I also wanted to note that the latest dashcam update also allows you to record using the side "blind spot" cameras, in addition to the front camera.

https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-buil...era-recording/

Old 03-10-2019, 09:52 PM

18,042 posts, read 15,639,191 times
Quote:
Tentative delivery date of March 19 around 4:00 pm =)
Exciting! What color did you order?

Post pictures when you get it, please.

Old 03-11-2019, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zero View Post
We love the OTA updates. I was just joking with my wife earlier today that this is the first time I've ever heard of an EV's range *increasing* after almost a year of ownership. The car gets better and better over time.

I also wanted to note that the latest dashcam update also allows you to record using the side "blind spot" cameras, in addition to the front camera.

https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-buil...era-recording/

It's truly revolutionary to have a car that gets updates that actually add features and gives more range, performance, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
Exciting! What color did you order?

Post pictures when you get it, please.

I got it in black because that is the included price and I'm having it wrapped as soon as take delivery to this color... see attachment. I'll be sure to post pictures once it's finished. As of now 3/19 and I will be calling the wrap shop tomorrow to setup an appointment, which should take 4 days to a week to complete.
Attached Thumbnails
TSLA chief is losing it (MERGED THREADS)-13394895_1028025627285111_1072985671_n.jpg  

Old 03-11-2019, 08:14 AM

Now Tesla isn’t going to close all the stores it said it was and it’s also going to raise prices not lower them. Odd reversal after just a week or two

Old 03-11-2019, 08:17 AM

18,042 posts, read 15,639,191 times
Quote:

I got it in black because that is the included price and I'm having it wrapped as soon as take delivery to this color... see attachment. I'll be sure to post pictures once it's finished. As of now 3/19 and I will be calling the wrap shop tomorrow to setup an appointment, which should take 4 days to a week to complete.
Ohhh wrapping! Now I'm really intrigued. I read that wrapping lasts 7 to 8 yrs, depending. I keep my vehicles for 10+ years and wouldn't want to have to pay more than 1 time (but that's me). You'll have no problem finding your Tesla in any parking lot!

Old 03-11-2019, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
Ohhh wrapping! Now I'm really intrigued. I read that wrapping lasts 7 to 8 yrs, depending. I keep my vehicles for 10+ years and wouldn't want to have to pay more than 1 time (but that's me). You'll have no problem finding your Tesla in any parking lot!
Wrapping usually lasts 3-5 years, but some of the well known compnies like 3m advertise up to 8 years, but that’s not really likely, at least from what i’ve heard from people. If it’s installed properly with a good brand, it does protect your original paint when you take it off. I’ll send pics when all said and done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing