Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2018, 02:21 PM

50,367 posts, read 63,948,892 times

Advertisements

I would put half with two reputable financial planners, let them battle it out for a few years, then give the second half to the winner. Our little nest egg is with Edward Jones, so they’d be one of them. I don’t have the stomach for managing things my self.....just keep the checks coming and spare me the details.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2018, 02:29 PM

106,653 posts, read 108,790,719 times
you really do need to be aware of what they do . my wife was a widow once and she had zero interest in what her money guy did . that was until he lost half her life savings in tech and dot coms .

after all if everyone was making big money and she wasn't she would blame him . so he put her where the money was . what did she know from investing ? nothing .

today she is so in tune with things that i don't buy a thing without running it by her first , i explain it to her and then we debate it .

Old 06-01-2018, 02:30 PM

13,646 posts, read 9,708,585 times
With respect, I would recommend the exact antithesis of post #71. It is both costly (in terms of fees) and risky (in terms of what these advisors would do).

As to Hikernut's point, yes, the topic merits it's own thread. But in brief, if one believes that the market is nearly perfectly efficient, nearly all of the time, then alternatives to indices become hard to justify. If on the contrary one believes that there really are unexhumed nuggets to be found, then of course it would be silly to desist from trying to find them.

Old 06-01-2018, 02:33 PM

106,653 posts, read 108,790,719 times
that post actually almost got my wife to comment . she usually does not post here but occasionally she will in the photography forum . (badcook5) .

she almost felt compelled to speak out on how dangerous that can be from her own experience

Old 06-01-2018, 02:57 PM

6,631 posts, read 4,298,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikernut View Post
If you really want a discussion we should probably open another thread. This is my own belief and experience. Let's be clear, I'm not suggesting that there is any way to "beat the market" each and every year, or over every five year period, etc. I'm saying that the market does not always price things accurately, and there are times when it's worthwhile to take some action. Essentially, the "madness of crowds" can still take over, even with all of our various gadgets providing information at the touch of a button or the command of a voice.
You are absolutely correct. I'm not going to get into the backtesting of mutual funds/ETFs and model portfolios, but let me say there are excellent funds that beat the market during this time period. I expect to beat the s&p 500 over a 10 year period by a considerable margin.

Old 06-01-2018, 06:41 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,538,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
You are absolutely correct. I'm not going to get into the backtesting of mutual funds/ETFs and model portfolios, but let me say there are excellent funds that beat the market during this time period. I expect to beat the s&p 500 over a 10 year period by a considerable margin.
You don't need to beat anything though.... Sometimes good enough is good enough.. There are faster ways to get rich than a long term investor...

You could put money into Russian banks, their interest rates are higher than s&p ytd...

Old 06-01-2018, 08:56 PM

17,709 posts, read 29,812,481 times
1. Put it all into an S&P500 index fund at {vanguard|fidelity|schwab}
2. Spend 20+ hours at https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=10
3. Reallocate funds after reading a lot.
4. Do not pay an advisor. They offer zero value.
5. Keep reading boring financial stuff every day.

Old 06-01-2018, 09:46 PM

6,631 posts, read 4,298,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
You don't need to beat anything though.... Sometimes good enough is good enough.. There are faster ways to get rich than a long term investor...

You could put money into Russian banks, their interest rates are higher than s&p ytd...

I'm not interested in making $, regardless of risk, rather in finding finds with high alphas, funds that have high returns with relatively lower risk. They're out there, but it takes some interest and research.

Old 06-01-2018, 10:50 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,949,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
I'm not interested in making $, regardless of risk, rather in finding finds with high alphas, funds that have high returns with relatively lower risk. They're out there, but it takes some interest and research.
This is what I've backtested. I have these funds in my retirement plan, so I don't have to play a load on any of them.

I started this in January 1997 and just did a steady $1000 a month:

The real results would actually be better because I have cheaper share classes of all of these except for Janus Henderson Small Cap Value. I used more expensive share classes because the cheaper share classes weren't available back in 1997. Overall, the portfolio would've done about .20% better with the cheaper share classes But below, I list all of the funds and the share classes I actually have:

The below portfolio beat the S&P 500 Index fund (I used VINIX, the institutional share class) and Vanguard Wellington (I used VWELX since the cheaper Admiral share class VWENX didn't exist in 1997, although the below portfolio still would've beaten VWENX).

Parnassus Core Equity 45% PRILX
Templeton Global Bond 25% TGBAX
Oppenheimer Developing Markets 10% ODVYX
VY Clarion Real Estate 10% IVRIX
Janus Henderson Small Cap Value 10% JSCOX

https://www.portfoliovisualizer.com/...nalysisResults

Fidelity Contrafund would've beaten this potfolio by a significant, but not huge, margin. Of course, it would've come with more ups and downs.

https://www.portfoliovisualizer.com/...nalysisResults

Old 06-01-2018, 11:04 PM

10,065 posts, read 7,235,755 times
My experience with advisors is that they either direct you toward preferred vehicles or give you an asset allocation recommendation based on their interpretation of your stated risk tolerance. I can do that myself.

I've found these people to be not much more helpful than real estate agents these days. Brokerages give you the same kind of research tools they have.

I prefer to make my own choices and own them, not outsource my decisions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing