Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2018, 06:43 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,867,365 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't own stock in any company that voluntarily is headquartered in Camden, New Jersey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2018, 08:26 AM

7,453 posts, read 4,686,150 times
Campbell soup sucks. Their cream soups are solid when you open them. It's like mashed potato on texture. You have to scoop them out.

Old 05-23-2018, 08:47 AM

5,907 posts, read 4,431,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treasurekidd View Post
Campbells Soup is a stale old company with stale old products and stagnant growth potential. They overpaid badly to acquire Synders Lance in a desperate attempt to branch out into the snack business - deworsifying, in the words of Peter Lynch. They've dropped 40% for a reason, and there's no reason to think it's going back to it's highs any time soon. Perhaps they will eventually get sold, Berkshire and/or 3G look like logical candidates, or perhaps another food company, maybe GIS? I don't know, but given the current situation, I would NOT consider them undervalued. I'd stay away, there's better places to put your money.

Take a look at UNFI in the food space. They just announced record quarterly earnings and are still reasonably valued. That's one that I'm watching closely.
GIS? They’re too busy overpaying for pet food~

Old 05-23-2018, 09:31 AM
JRR

8,166 posts, read 5,661,013 times
If I was to feel the need to add a stock in the processed food area, I would probably take a good look at BGS.

Old 05-23-2018, 02:06 PM

1,875 posts, read 2,235,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
Might be, now that the CEO has stepped down.

If Buffet buys....I’m in
The trick is to get in before Buffett, but even getting in after Buffett will likely create a probably price floor. Just look at what happened to AAPL as Berkshire entered and later bought some 75M shares this last quarter. Since he's a value guy and Apple has announced a $100B future stock buyback, you can bet the share price will not drop below $165 barring anything catastrophic.

You don't have the same assurances with Campbells. Unless they break into a profitable food trend, I would stay away. The stock is cheap on a historical PEG ratio, but the stock has got no mojo.

Old 05-27-2018, 09:23 AM

32,647 posts, read 48,040,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
Might be, now that the CEO has stepped down.

If Buffet buys....I’m in
Buffet buys food companies with good products where there is high demand for the product. Campbells soup has deteriorated in quality to the point that lifelong customers aren't buying any more. Maybe it could be turned around, but it is difficult to regain customers that you have driven away by cheapening the product while raising prices.

Old 05-27-2018, 10:43 AM

5,480 posts, read 6,305,303 times
Quote:
Buffet buys food companies with good products where there is high demand for the product. Campbells soup has deteriorated in quality to the point that lifelong customers aren't buying any more. Maybe it could be turned around, but it is difficult to regain customers that you have driven away by cheapening the product while raising prices.

Amen to that. Smaller sizes, cheapened products and higher prices is what has done in the entire packaged food industry. All the big names are hurting right now. Given the problems that Kraft Heinz is having, why would Buffett want to buy another packaged food company. Again, take a look at UNFI if you want a food company with growth and/or takeover potential.

Old 05-27-2018, 11:47 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,572,686 times
It is more of a trade than an investment. The stock is deeply oversold compared to its 200-day moving aver. I think their biggest problem has been the country's demographics have changed and continue to shift away from the traditional American culture. There are more people of foreign background that buy ingredients for their native cuisine. These people also seem to buy more produce and meat to cook their meals rather than rely on prepackaged products.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing