Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2018, 09:16 PM

110 posts, read 72,827 times

Advertisements

Personality issue not an investment issue. What's the big deal? Enjoy the action
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2018, 12:09 AM

30,873 posts, read 36,804,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
Also, options have helped me, but they're so expensive!
Put it in a balanced fund like Vanguard Wellington. Set it and forget it. Set a goal to focus on your savings rate as a % of your income. How much you earn and what percentage of your earnings you save are things you have much more control over. Set another goal to not look at your mutual fund balance for 10 years. It's going to take at least that long to have a balance worth worrying about.

Even if you don't make it 10 years without checking your balance, you certainly won't check as much. If you still find yourself checking obsessively, take it as a sign that you're not busy enough.

Old 05-25-2018, 02:00 AM

106,006 posts, read 107,976,655 times
my opinion is in cases like the op's , this is a good example of where a manager may be worth it .

at a younger age it makes little sense mitigating temporary short term dips with things like bonds and balanced portfolio's and permanently hurting long term results .

just get a manager for a percent or less and let them keep you from yourself .

the op should definitely keep away from individual stocks

Old 05-25-2018, 06:47 AM

4,399 posts, read 2,892,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
my opinion is in cases like the op's , this is a good example of where a manager may be worth it .

at a younger age it makes little sense mitigating temporary short term dips with things like bonds and balanced portfolio's and permanently hurting long term results .

just get a manager for a percent or less and let them keep you from yourself .

the op should definitely keep away from individual stocks
A manager is the stupidest idea I've ever heard. Pay someone an average of 25% of my gains. No thanks! I'd prefer to buy and hold and index fund.

Old 05-25-2018, 07:26 AM

27,342 posts, read 28,415,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
That won't help with the obsession. It might actually exacerbate it, because individual stock-quotes require some digging, whereas the S&P-500 is on the ticker at every television screen, billboard and airport waiting-lounge.
There is no reason that a long-term investor needs to watch stock market prices during daytime trading hours. It is best to ignore it. Once a day after the market closes is adequate.

But I think the real issue is that people have become more nervous since the market correction began. That is an understandable reaction. Things will get back to normal once the correction has played out and we are off to the races again.

Old 05-25-2018, 07:28 AM

Quote:
A manager is the stupidest idea I've ever heard. Pay someone an average of 25% of my gains. No thanks! I'd prefer to buy and hold and index fund.
then you need the ability to stay the course no matter what . if you can great . if not you are making a mistake trying to invest as you are not cut out for it if you can't stay in good and bad times without freaking out . that means no trying to time when you think you should be in or out .

the truth is a vanguard study shows most small investors can get 2 to 3% more in returns by having a manager handle things then they get on their own because they are prone to bad investor behavior. most never even get the returns their funds got as they attempt to time things .

many investors go far more conservative than they should be left to their own devices using balanced funds on long term money . they would be better off paying a manager 1% and let that manger go 100% equities . the difference over decades between a balanced fund and 100% equities is big even after that 1% fee

many times it is penny wise and pound foolish as they say

Last edited by mathjak107; 05-25-2018 at 07:45 AM..

Old 05-25-2018, 08:00 AM

7,339 posts, read 4,596,403 times
Just invest it and don't come back on these boards! If you come back, you become part of the worrying everyday peeps. Go about your life, have kids if you don't have any. If you have kids, engage them in music, sports, hobbies. Then after 30 years, see that your money grew!

Old 05-25-2018, 08:39 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,529,027 times
Quote:
I have about 130k of my own money to invest, but anytime I put it in I worry so much and check the stocks at least every hour everyday! The problem is I'm a very tight person who likes to take risks if that makes sense. I just can't bring myself to invest and forget. Then if he market or a stock I was thinking of buying goes up a lot, I drive myself crazy over it. I stopped investing for a year because of this. Is anyone else like this and how do you cope?
if you are going crazy then you dont really like to take risks. invest your money according to your risk tolerance, which is low.

Old 05-25-2018, 08:41 AM

even that tends to fail . those so risk averse have lower trigger points . any losses trigger bad investor behavior . there is no study that found more conservative investors stay the course any better .

bad behavior just has lower trigger points the more gun shy you are . this why vanguard found management can add a lot of value to these gun shy investors . .

Old 05-25-2018, 09:22 AM

17,686 posts, read 15,388,641 times
Unless you get some help for your nerves and obsessiveness, you'll just shoot yourself in the foot and have a miserable ride over the next umpteen years of being invested in the market. You have to be prepared to invest for the long term when going into the equity markets (or else learn how to do short term/technical/swing trading from some experts).

If you can't manage to not obsess, then save yourself the hassle and figure out something else to do with your money, whether that's own some real estate or build your own business or something. Mental state should not be minimized in the equation, and you've got some barriers to overcome there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing