Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2018, 02:05 PM

857 posts, read 958,309 times

Advertisements

Suppose I have $10K cash in account.

On Monday at 10 a.m. I use the full amount to buy stock A. Then at 11 a.m. I sell the entire position. Then at noon I use the the entire proceeds to buy stock B.

My brokerage company says I cannot sell stock B until the settlement date for stock A, which is Wednesday. It would be a violation of some rule if I do that.

Does anyone know what market rule specifies this? It is not the free-ride rule, is it?

What problem would it cause if I were to sell stock B also on Monday? Seems to me, although the settlements of the two trades on same day can be more complex, we can easily figure out who needs to pay how much to whom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2018, 02:37 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,568,036 times
It’s a good faith violation, here fidelity has a piece that explains the scenarios

https://www.fidelity.com/learning-ce...ing-violations

Old 06-14-2018, 03:04 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
i seem to remember having this issue in the past and the solution was to activate margin borrowing.

Old 06-14-2018, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
It’s a good faith violation, here fidelity has a piece that explains the scenarios

https://www.fidelity.com/learning-ce...ing-violations
Thank you for the link. Good explanation.

I still disagree with the suggestion that there is no "good faith", because we know the money is coming in. To me that is good faith.

I can see if the first settlement has problem, it can lead to problem downstream. But #1 I think it's not lack of good faith, and #2 there might be ways to deal with it, for example the clearing houses create a buffer to handle this, thus permitting much much more trading activities...

Old 06-14-2018, 03:24 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,568,036 times
You don’t get to make the rules so that’s not how any of this works.

Old 06-14-2018, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i seem to remember having this issue in the past and the solution was to activate margin borrowing.
I have margin trading now. I hardly ever take it to the maximum buying; but I would think there is also a limit with margin feature, right? Or can this really offer unlimited same day trading?

I do about 2-3 trades a day. It's already not possible for me to keep track of how much settled funds I have.

Old 06-14-2018, 03:41 PM

9,317 posts, read 20,993,806 times
Just about all the main line brokers will have on the account fields in there website / Tradeing Portal what the settled Funds amount is.

Also the Margin on Day Trades is different the "Normal" Margins. And if you do alot of day trades you will be "Tagged" as a "Pattern Day Trader" and there are additional Rules.

Old 06-14-2018, 08:34 PM

5,872 posts, read 8,090,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhbj03 View Post
I have margin trading now. I hardly ever take it to the maximum buying; but I would think there is also a limit with margin feature, right? Or can this really offer unlimited same day trading?

I do about 2-3 trades a day. It's already not possible for me to keep track of how much settled funds I have.
Yes within the margin trading rules you have a 'Day Trade buying power' number that is calculated at 4x your SMA. And you can ABSOLUTELY track how much settled funds you have at ANY broker/dealer. On your balances page there are required to list your 'Settled Cash to Trade' line item. It's there, you very much need to understand how this works.

You should start here and continue to explore and understand the rules of the sandbox you've now decided to play in.

Day-Trading Margin Requirements: Know the Rules | FINRA.org

Old 06-14-2018, 09:38 PM

In this TDAmeritrade page, is there a number that shows right this moment how much AAPL stock can be bought and then sold in 5 minutes?

I see the standard "buying power" and "cash available", but not "settled cash". Is it the "Available for Trading"?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture2.JPG
Views:	65
Size:	127.8 KB
ID:	198983

Old 06-15-2018, 05:16 AM

5,872 posts, read 8,090,819 times
It would be under the "available for trading" or under they "stock buying power". In one of those sections it will say settled funds to trade. Is this the app? If you have margin now on the account it may be on a lower line item below the stock buying power, but it will be there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing